Fuck Comcast

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
They are basically going to cities that are willing to grease the wheels for them. Because of that, San Francisco will be the last city in America to get it since San Francisco naturally forms a coalition against anyone that attempts to do anything.

Northerner

N00b
San Francisco has some pretty good ISP options already though does it not? When staying with my sister she mentioned that her new building had it's own setup running 150/50 or so at least. Not exactly gigabit but better than most places.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
They have Comcast and in a few neighborhoods Verizon Fios (although I don't think that's in SF, just a few parts of the bay area). It's not an internet desert but there's nothing on par with Google Fiber.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
There are ISPs similar to "Webpass" which is a condo ONLY ISP. Your building must be up to compliance and must have more than 5-15 units (I think it's >15). If everything is good, you pay like $15-20/month for a 100 down, 20 up. I think they have up to 200 down. Otherwise, there is nothing remotely as great as Google Fiber. And I'm in Marin county, so the likelihood of me ever getting anything better than Comcast is slim to none.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
When I lived in Pt Reyes I was happy to even be able to get DSL. There is a lot of open space out there. It definitely was not lightning fast but it was enough.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Comcast filed a complaint today to remove the "Hi I'm Rob Lowe" commercials because they are untrue/unfair or whatever.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Fucking Comcast/Xfinity. Constant playback issues where it's choppy and the sound cuts out. Constant desyncing where shit doesn't show up on the hard drive. Will occasionally try to watch a recorded program and a little ways in it kicks it out, and will never fast forward or play past a certain point. Figured out it's because it'll randomly not think we have a subscription to anything but local tv. Happened tonight while trying to watch game 7 of Spurs and Clippers: this channel is FREE if you pay for a subscription! Fucking assholes. Try to call, their phones are busy, and then glitching the fuck out putting you on an endless hold cycle. Try to go online, the account won't log in. I hope someone finally bombs their shitty asses.

I never understand how idiotic a huge corporation can be. Like, the old system couldn't record if you turned the box off, and of course if you programmed your remote it would try to turn the box off every time you turned the tv off, and be a bitch. Now, the new X1, you can record while the box is turned off. Great, right. But, unless I'm mistaken, the remote can't turn the fucking box off. face-fucking-fail-palm.

I'm pretty close to pissing off my girlfriend and just cancelling the shit. Could make due with HBO Go and HuluPlus. Sucks not to have most live sports and random veg-out watching. But holy shit it's a daily struggle with the system going out or not recording or having playback issues or just looking like shit. And I'd still have to get internet from them as with Century link I was getting 3mbs downloads.

Cable one was awesome where I used to live. Comcast is offensively bad.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
No reason to change if you're Comcast
They've got a monopoly and they know it. Last time I was having issues I had a manager tell me, and I almost directly quote: I don't give a shit if you threaten to cancel, what other options do you really think you have!

And he was right. I canceled. Told him to fuck off. Then got home, needed internet, and called their loyalty department asking what kind of deal they could offer now that I wasn't a customer.

The last time they fucked my account to hell we couldn't access anything online for 3 months, couldn't access bills, had no clue what I was paying for or why the price was jumping 20 bucks a month because paperless bill pay and the people on the phone themselves said they couldn't access my account it was that corrupted. Made us create an entirely new account ,that took a month to finally start working (nothing would record and constantly said we didn't have channels). Then they didn't refund the transition fees like they said, didn't apply the rebates like they said, etc.

Still with them, though. I feel like I should start a local comcast/xfinity support group to help people cope.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
DirecTV isn't allowed at my apartment complex, and I'm too transient currently to want to buy a house. So, I'm stuck with Comcast since it's the only provider that doesn't have external equipment and the property manager (rightfully) doesn't think enough people care for them pay to have a centralized DirecTV dish to pipe to people's apartments.

My internet is rock solid, at least, so that's something.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
DirecTV isn't allowed at my apartment complex, and I'm too transient currently to want to buy a house. So, I'm stuck with Comcast since it's the only provider that doesn't have external equipment and the property manager (rightfully) doesn't think enough people care for them pay to have a centralized DirecTV dish to pipe to people's apartments.

My internet is rock solid, at least, so that's something.
Uhh I think there's actually a law regarding apartments prohibiting you from putting up a dish. As in, they cannot prohibit you from putting up a dish.

Zitar

Silver Knight of the Realm
The main problem in apartments is having unblocked southern exposure. Especially if you are on the first floor and it's a large multistory complex.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, no southern access. And on the first floor, and I'm pretty sure that shit would be stolen in a week if it were left on the patio.

Also, they can't restrict access, but they can prevent you from drilling/mounting or having anything 'overhang' the balcony/windows citing it as a hazard (same reason where I'm at they specify you can't hang your bike over the outside of the balcony or have over-hanging flower beds). So, yeah, technically legal, but improbably if a complex really doesn't want people to have them. I do recall one previous complex one apartment on the end unitl had southern access on the side of the balcony and enough of a gap in the trees they let him have a dish on a stand not drilled into anything. So, there's hope!

Last apartment we had a DirecTV sub and the guy had to come out to check things so we could cancel without paying fees. He said no way, but was impressed with my idea of putting the dish in the spare bedroom with a southern facing window and leaving the blinds open all the time. Said he'd never heard of doing that, but it would probably work. Hassle, though, and couldn't watch TV with the in-laws visiting and trying to change or sleep.

Not quite annoying enough to buy a house over.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Who the fuck steals satellite dishes that you get for free by signing up?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Who the fuck steals satellite dishes that you get for free by signing up?
Lot of dumb meth-heads in the area. Pretty much can't leave anything outside or visible in cars or it'll be gone. Sometimes I swear the less street value the more likely shit is to disappear. They aren't smart thieves, they're dumb fucks who rifle through my unlocked 62 Cadillac (with cars around that actually have shit they should have been stealing), that I have to leave unlocked for fear of them breaking a window which is more valuable than the nothing-at-all I leave in my car. At one point they popped my glove box, as if I'd keep anything of value in it, now it doesn't close and there's a map left in it that every few months will be tossed on the floorboards or outside, as if I'd then keep valuables in a fucking open, unlockable glove box.

Mostly just being factious. Spokane, WA is a shithole and I can't wait to move.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My brother works for a property management company out there. Pretty sure they made him manage the slum lord apartment complex there. They probably went from your glovebox to his building.