Fuck Comcast

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So TWC has been having issues in upstate NY since roughly 10:30 last night. I lose connection and a few minutes later I get a text from a guy I do computer work for asking if I could figure out why he can't get on the internet. I'm at my parent's house due to my building's plumbing being replaced, so after rebooting the piece of shit Ubee modem/wifi router doesnt do anything I decide to call TWC. I try using their landline (also TWC) and there's no dial tone. I try calling it and it says the customer is unavailable, so I call TWC on my cell. I get the usual guy reading from a script and I tell him I've already been through the basic troubleshooting, but he insists on resetting the modem from his end. Surprisingly the modem gets the signal and reboots, but still no phone or internet. After sitting on hold for a while, he says that there is no reported outage but they are getting a lot of calls from my area, it is being looked in to and to give them a few hours and call back if it isn't fixed.

A little while later I try to connect again and windows says it can't connect to the DNS server. I try switching to Google's DNS and magically I have an internet connection again. I check to see if I can change the DNS for the modem (a little searching turned up the factory default login, which worked) but it looks like I can't.

I really wish there was a viable alternative to TWC here.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I doubt I will ever see Google Fiber in the boondocks; but, I would love it if companies stuck it to the 'man' (ATT, Comcast, TWC, etc.).

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
I just switched over from DTV to comcast because the deal they offfered me was just to good to pass up, saving 40 bucks a month adds up over the year.

I have to say 1 thing comcasts tv interface absolutely destroys direct TV's especially how they set up their on demand UI.

Pioneer89_sl

shitlord
I just switched over from DTV to comcast because the deal they offfered me was just to good to pass up, saving 40 bucks a month adds up over the year.

I have to say 1 thing comcasts tv interface absolutely destroys direct TV's especially how they set up their on demand UI.
I gotta ask if you mean Comcast's Device/Computer interface? Because the On-TV guides, menus, etc. suck ass. They get about everything wrong in design decisions, and then are full of bugs on top.

I don't know how bad direct TV is, but I came from Dish, and there stuff was simple and functional.

edit: I just thought, do you have Xfinity? That's what I have.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
fucking ondemand menu for xfinity gives me fucking eye cancer moving through the menus, with all its fucking lag and bugs. suck my dick on demand.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
fucking ondemand menu for xfinity gives me fucking eye cancer moving through the menus, with all its fucking lag and bugs. suck my dick on demand.
i got 2 recievers, one in the main room does lag, the one in the room where i game and spend most of my time anyways, doesnt lag at all really. I have no fucking clue why that is. I do get the DRV box monday or tuesday, since they fucked up my order. I will see if that changes.

Direct TV's fucking on demand menu blows goats its like they want to discourage you from using that service that needs a seperate internet wifi box to even run on demand. I was with direct tv from 1998 til a few days ago, so they are all i really know about i cant comment on other cable companies. But saving 40 bucks a month was a deal i couldnt really pass up.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

I think you're in the minority here. Pretty much everybody rates DirecTV and Dish way above the cable companies for their DVRs.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The X-1 made Comcasts OnDemand menus better but it's still a pain in the dick compared to everyone else's. Searching for a specific show on Comcast should be much easier, I shouldn't have to go through like 3 menus and then cycle though a shit tone of alphabetical organized shows to find the one I want.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I dislike Comcast but Frontier was much worse for me. At least I now have fast internet which allowed me the basically cut the cord on cable TV.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The X-1 made Comcasts OnDemand menus better but it's still a pain in the dick compared to everyone else's. Searching for a specific show on Comcast should be much easier, I shouldn't have to go through like 3 menus and then cycle though a shit tone of alphabetical organized shows to find the one I want.
It's because they're trying to compete with Netflix. Just looking at the UI on the X-1 box, you can tell they're almost blatantly ripping Netflix off, down to show icon, descriptions, and even copying the options for selecting shows. All the DVR shows aren't even downloaded anymore I don't think, as it's all cloud-based now. You ever try fast-forwarding through a commercial? It's fucking atrocious, slow, and usually when you hit play it's forward/backward by 30 seconds. Worst. Engineering. Ever.

What they should do instead is work on a light-weight, fast, easily understandable UI. What they're doing is making a heavy, confusing, slow, obtrusive UI that no one in the world likes. I hate my X-1 box to death. It has made me not want to watch TV at all because it is a slow, slogging piece of shit.

I can just download my shows and stream them from my plex server.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The only way I'd go back to cable is with a roamio. Cable co DVRs are terrible including the x1

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Salt Lake City becomes latest Google Fiber city | The Salt Lake Tribune

FUCK. YES.

T4ISnSH.gif