GameStop Stock Worth $5.13...But Only Worth 7cents In Store Credit

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I love digital because I'm far too lazy to get up and put a disc in my console.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
If my internet wasn't shit I would buy everything digital. Plus I still have the stock HD in my PS4 so I can only have like 5 games downloaded at a time.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No data caps here @ 1Ggig DL/UL

moved on from Console pretty much so digital all the way baby.

• 1Ding!

spronk

FPS noob
one of the nice things they've already announced for xbox series X is that you will be able to eject discs with the controller

still i rarely buy physical anymore, digital is so much easier and the number of games that have vanished from storefronts that you can't get at all anymore (without piracy) is really tiny, most are multiplayer pieces of shit anyways. Having the disc for Fallout 4 isn't going to do you any fucking good in 10 years, just about every non japanese game nowadays requires like a 100 gig patch on day 1.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Comcast in my area definitely has and enforces a 1TB cap :( I broke it enough I pay another $50/month for unlimited.
0b16a4a3e7ed11d04034939ec0a72684.png

Brofist!! I need to call them... hopefully they can be retroactive. I had 2 adults + 2 kids move into my house recently, and the extra gigs they using for streaming and other shit is just through the roof.

Also, my kids know they lose game privledges if they don't put the disc back in the box, and back in the DVD-style holder that sits right next to the consoles. What the fuck is this shit you talking about closet? That shit's out in the open, right next to my Ps4. Some bitch closet gamers up here hiding their shit in a closet.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy of a game. Long time.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I bought physical copies of both RDR2 and Death Stranding for PS4 and regretted the decision for various reasons soon after, and I was able to recoup most of my money by selling them, which I wouldn't have been able to do if I bought digital.

• 1Like

Vorph

I've mostly switched to digital on PS4 (and Xbone I suppose, but that doesn't really count since I basically only play Gamepass games on it) now that PSN is finally faster at downloading than the console is at copying off of a shitty blu-ray drive.

Can't see a single reason I'd ever buy a Switch game digitally though, barring the handful of games worth playing that are physical only or the miracle of miracles sale on the eShop that actually has decent prices. SD cards are slow as shit so there's nothing to be gained by installing the game on SD rather than playing off the cartridge. Since I buy so few digital games, I can usually install to the internal memory which actually is somewhat (10-15% IIRC) faster than a cart or SD card. Plus Nintendo's servers make PSN look like Steam by comparison and downloads take for-fucking-ever.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
So this whole discussion about 5G, here's my speed test on my phone over the home wifi (first pic) and cell network (second pic):

Edit: Home connection is Comcast and mobile is AT&T

Screenshot_20200227-002931.png

Screenshot_20200227-002919.png

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
next gen on consoles is definitely gonna be weird if they only have a 1TB or 2TB internal drive and don't run games off external drives. Hopefully they support external drives as archive spots or something that let you move games in and out of the internal drive as you play them.

Thats currently what I do on my PS4, I have COD Modern Warfare on my internal 1TB SSD and an 8TB external I have all my games on, I never delete anything anymore. If a game I own but haven't played yet piques my fancy I'll move it to the SSD for the extra speed bump.

I also hope more games do cross saves, witcher 3 (on switch) now lets you import and export saves to the steam cloud which is pretty neat

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Not too sure I understand why everyone is so excited about announcing games purchased this gen will work next. These new systems are step ups just like the PS4 to the PS Pro, Xbox One to the X - this has been done now officially for the last 4 years. This next gen isn't even really next gen at all. It's a step up and over arching upgrade which will happen now every 4-5 years. Yet, MS is announcing this as a huge deal in their marketing blitz's. It's 4 years old, and we all knew the new systems would play the way PS4/Pro/One/X do today with the upcoming systems. It was a given now that everyone is on x86 Tech.

Cross platform for one title on the other hand - someone do that. But they won't, because it would kill their double/triple unit sales that believe it or not, they actually forecast and accounts for roughly 10-15% of their overall revenue of a game. (Cross platform purchases)

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not too sure I understand why everyone is so excited about announcing games purchased this gen will work next. These new systems are step ups just like the PS4 to the PS Pro, Xbox One to the X - this has been done now officially for the last 4 years. This next gen isn't even really next gen at all. It's a step up and over arching upgrade which will happen now every 4-5 years. Yet, MS is announcing this as a huge deal in their marketing blitz's. It's 4 years old, and we all knew the new systems would play the way PS4/Pro/One/X do today with the upcoming systems. It was a given now that everyone is on x86 Tech.

Cross platform for one title on the other hand - someone do that. But they won't, because it would kill their double/triple unit sales that believe it or not, they actually forecast and accounts for roughly 10-15% of their overall revenue of a game. (Cross platform purchases)

Yeah these systems now are all pretty much glorified simple PCs now tailored to play games. They all run on the same OS for years now. So its not like the jump it was from say PS1 to PS2.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I stay physical on PS4. I keep consoles forever though and like having the collection. A digital collection isn't as cool.

PC is 100% digital unless I want a Collectors Edition box

• 1Like

Vorph

PC "physical" is really digital like 99% of the time now anyway. You just get a Steam code in the box because they're not about to give you half a dozen DVDs to install from and BR drives never made any significant headway on PC.

next gen on consoles is definitely gonna be weird if they only have a 1TB or 2TB internal drive and don't run games off external drives. Hopefully they support external drives as archive spots or something that let you move games in and out of the internal drive as you play them.
Why wouldn't they run games off external? I mean, right now MS doesn't even officially support changing the internal hard drive in the Xbone at all and they try to force you to use an external SSD. But whether you technically can install to external, I think the question is will anyone want to? These 'special' SSDs next gen is using are probably so much faster than even USB 3.1 gen 2 that you'd never want to install anything but indie games on them. I can't see much use for an external drive other than for archival purposes, like if you quit playing a game like Destiny or Division and want to archive it instead of re-downloading 100GB in a few months.

I also hope more games do cross saves, witcher 3 (on switch) now lets you import and export saves to the steam cloud which is pretty neat
I thought about grabbing TW3 on Switch to try this out since it works with GOG cloud saves as well, but then I stopped to wonder what happens if your PC install is modded. I can't imagine that would work too well unless you were really selective about which mods you use.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Do people expect Steam to exist in 20-30 years? Or like everything do people realize it'll be replaced by the next better iteration in one or two tech generations. It's one thing to use platforms to manage things, it's completely different if the platform is required for everything to operate.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Do people expect Steam to exist in 20-30 years? Or like everything do people realize it'll be replaced by the next better iteration in one or two tech generations. It's one thing to use platforms to manage things, it's completely different if the platform is required for everything to operate.

Meh. Could really say the same thing about NES carts then within 20-30 years judging by history. By then all the games we own today will be abandoned and we can just download them and play them on a Rasp Pi 243.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I don't see why steam won't be around in 20 years unless you think the pc and the internet are not a thing in 20 years.

• 1Like

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Imagine surviving for more then 20 years when the genius 16 year old Greta says we only have 10 to live lol Checkmate

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 3 users