Gaming and general purpose monitors

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I have no problem w/ the curve, it's such a big monitor is probably why.

I've recently had a couple of gaming sessions though where I've not felt very good toward the end of them. Wondering if HDR in some games has become the tipping point for me and getting a little motion sick. Both were first person games I'd played before.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have experience with this LG monitor, either the 27" or 32":

LG 27'' UltraGear QHD Nano IPS 1ms 165Hz HDR Monitor with G-SYNC Compatibility (27GP83B-B) | LG USA

I want to get a new monitor to take advantage of my new computer (i5-11600k / rtx-3060), and the ps5 I just got. Just wondering if 1440 would look good on a 32" screen or just stick with the 27"?
That's a great monitor but this is the slightly better version of the same:

It has the higher binned panels of the same generation and it has a powered USB3.0 hub.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's a great monitor but this is the slightly better version of the same:

It has the higher binned panels of the same generation and it has a powered USB3.0 hub.
I can't see the link you posted, same thing happened with my amazon link.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
On that note anyone use a LG C1 for gaming/primary monitor? Getting tired of the # of games that don't fully support ultrawide and just end up cutting off the top/bottom of the screen. Was thinking of just moving to an OLED tv that supports 120+ hz and wall mounting it behind my desk.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
On that note anyone use a LG C1 for gaming/primary monitor? Getting tired of the # of games that don't fully support ultrawide and just end up cutting off the top/bottom of the screen. Was thinking of just moving to an OLED tv that supports 120+ hz and wall mounting it behind my desk.
Xexx Xexx

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
I have a 48" cx mounted to the wall at my desk and its absolutely glorious. I love it. The sound is very impressive as well for built in tv speakers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I used to be a total ultrawide fanboy until getting a monitor without UW support as part of a "package" deal with my 5900x.

Not having to fight with settings, .ini changes, etc. has made me realize how much I truly don't miss that shit. Sure, in games that actually supported it, it's kind of a bummer, sometimes. But overall? Fuck UW.

• 1Seriously?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I love my Odyssey G9, but I do find myself doing a little more gaming on the 32" Samsung M7 I have mounted above it. So much easier to just play on that and do content creation stuff on the ultrawide (stream management, discord, etc).

I could see replacing the setup with something like what Linus is using in that video in a couple years.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I used to be a total ultrawide fanboy until getting a monitor without UW support as part of a "package" deal with my 5900x.

Not having to fight with settings, .ini changes, etc. has made me realize how much I truly don't miss that shit. Sure, in games that actually supported it, it's kind of a bummer, sometimes. But overall? Fuck UW.
i haven't noticed any format/compatibility/scaling issues with my 38" UW, and ive played a ton of games on it in the last few months. maybe i'm getting gimped in some games and I just don't notice it, but I'd like to think that's not the case!

my biggest gripe is the limitations with regard to PBP/multi-input functionality and VRR framerate limiting depending on the types of inputs used in combination

that said, i still feel like a slightly smaller primary monitor with a secondary monitor on the side would be better for gaming as the primary use case.

I won't quite regret getting the 38" UW until there's a kickass OLED option at 40". 48" still just feels too big, and the CX48 and C1 didn't quite scratch the itch in all the right places in terms of specs and functionality for PC gaming. This new Aorus gets closer, but still just feels a bit shoehorned into place... as the review put it, it's the same LG C1 monitor with some improved functionality for PC gaming

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I also never had issues with any games at 3440x1440 or whatever crazy resolution was on my 38 inch. Perhaps on those dumb UW Xreso by 1080p but ive never run into problems on UW monitors.