Gaming and general purpose monitors

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
ok, I'm genuinely confused here...

I noticed that my frames seemed rather low, so I checked my monitor settings and found that windows has locked me to 60/75hz on my brand new 120/144hz 38" LG.
I'm using the same DP 1.4 cable that I initially set the system up with, and it worked at 120/144hz to begin with. I'm not sure when it reverted to 60/75.

I tried a driver update by DLing the newer driver from LG's website and pointing the updater to its location, but windows says I have the newest driver.
I cant imagine why itd be the monitor driver anyway, as it worked when I first built the system.

what am I missing? I guess I could try to swap out the DP cable, but I'm not 100% sure I have another 1.4, and I don't know why the current one would suddenly not work ...
Screenshot 2021-07-12 143945.png
Screenshot 2021-07-12 144207.png
Screenshot 2021-07-12 144217.png

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
ok, I'm genuinely confused here...

I noticed that my frames seemed rather low, so I checked my monitor settings and found that windows has locked me to 60/75hz on my brand new 120/144hz 38" LG.
I'm using the same DP 1.4 cable that I initially set the system up with, and it worked at 120/144hz to begin with. I'm not sure when it reverted to 60/75.

I tried a driver update by DLing the newer driver from LG's website and pointing the updater to its location, but windows says I have the newest driver.
I cant imagine why itd be the monitor driver anyway, as it worked when I first built the system.

what am I missing? I guess I could try to swap out the DP cable, but I'm not 100% sure I have another 1.4, and I don't know why the current one would suddenly not work ...
View attachment 362131View attachment 362132View attachment 362133

Do you have your GeForce drivers up to date and can you choose a higher refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel? Otherwise there might be a setting in your monitor's OSD that you're missing.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
yeah, geforce drivers are up to date. i cant choose anything other than 60/75 in the Nvidia control panel, same as in the windows display control panel.

I've checked the monitor OSD, and disabling/enabling freesync doesnt change the available refresh rates, and I cant find any other settings that do.

there is the "response time" option in the OSD for Faster, Fast, Normal, and OFF, but again I don't see any changes to the refresh rate options after selecting between any of these.

Attachments

• 1626130068064.png
    1626130068064.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 8

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
yeah, geforce drivers are up to date. i cant choose anything other than 60/75 in the Nvidia control panel, same as in the windows display control panel.

I've checked the monitor OSD, and disabling/enabling freesync doesnt change the available refresh rates, and I cant find any other settings that do.

there is the "response time" option in the OSD for Faster, Fast, Normal, and OFF, but again I don't see any changes to the refresh rate options after selecting between any of these.

What specific model is the monitor?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner

The LG 38WN95C-W has an outstanding refresh rate. It has native FreeSync support, and it's certified by NVIDIA to be G-SYNC compatible too. You can achieve the 144Hz refresh rate and get G-SYNC support only over a DisplayPort connection. Over HDMI, the VRR range is limited to 48-75Hz, and it only supports FreeSync.

gonna dig up my old ASUS ROG Swift and see if I can get that to accept 144hz, also gonna dig up some other DP cables... but I duno how to tell if they're 1.4 or not.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

The LG 38WN95C-W has an outstanding refresh rate. It has native FreeSync support, and it's certified by NVIDIA to be G-SYNC compatible too. You can achieve the 144Hz refresh rate and get G-SYNC support only over a DisplayPort connection. Over HDMI, the VRR range is limited to 48-75Hz, and it only supports FreeSync.

gonna dig up my old ASUS ROG Swift and see if I can get that to accept 144hz, also gonna dig up some other DP cables... but I duno how to tell if they're 1.4 or not.

Checking the manual on that, I see the OSD has a DP compatibility mode, might want to make sure it's set to DP 1.4. It says DP 1.4 and Thunderbolt can do 144hz but that 120hz is preferred.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
updated in Desktop Computers thread. swapping the DP cable worked, though I don't understand why since the cable I removed is the same one I set up the system with, and it had been cable managed and everything.. never uninstalled. can DP cables just go bad? it's not bent funky or anything. weird.

I ordered this one in early May:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
updated in Desktop Computers thread. swapping the DP cable worked, though I don't understand why since the cable I removed is the same one I set up the system with, and it had been cable managed and everything.. never uninstalled. can DP cables just go bad? it's not bent funky or anything. weird.

I ordered this one in early May:

I'm not sure and I don't know anything about that brand. I always go with Monoprice for pretty much any important cable.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Stepping back in to the “General Purpose” side of the thread, what are the go to for a work monitor or monitor(s)? Last year we were able to take our office stuff home but I never set it up and now I’m moving in to a house where I can have a dedicated office. Was thinking about going with UW as an experiment since I don’t have one on my gaming PC.

Mostly involves RDP in to a couple servers, spreadsheets open, email.

Might be able to get them to spring for something like this below, but haven’t looked in to anything office related other than the Lenovo monitor that came with the laptop.

Acer CB342CK smiiphzx 34" UltraWide QHD (3440 x 1440) IPS Zero Frame Monitor with AMD Radeon FREESYNC Technology - HDR Ready, 1ms VRB, 75Hz Refresh, Silver

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

Who's preordering one?
Wish there was an upgrade program lol. Especially now that I have hdr on all the time, does a good job of making sure I see every flicker and the large edge lit glow of the panels just because my cursor moved to an area of the screen.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
49" just seems to big for what I want for a PC setup. Also, pretty set on the idea of something in 5120x2160 on my next purchase which nothing really fits the bill on that quite yet feature wise. LG announced a 39" one that sounds pretty good but who knows when it will arrive.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I know this is a fairly slow moving thread, but figured I'd ask here.

Throughout all my pc gaming days, I've gone from the old 14 inch CUTS, to the three screen eyefinity set up, to a 75 inch TV, to 120 inch projector.

Right now, I have my pc hooked up to my Sony 900e 75 inch screen, and while I like it..having a desk in the middle of the floor isn't appealing and wife wants it gone.

I've never owned an actual performance monitor, as I always settled for the $300 ish range with whatever ASUS was making at the time.

So what would I actually gain / lose by switching to one of the $700 to $1400 is gaming monitors other than real estate space? Guess I'm looking for more " real world " experience vs a shit ton of stats that I don't really understand. Similar to my audio setup, I've hit the diminishing return stage, and am interested in about where that is for monitors and would I see a significant improvement.

Ty in advance.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I know this is a fairly slow moving thread, but figured I'd ask here.

Throughout all my pc gaming days, I've gone from the old 14 inch CUTS, to the three screen eyefinity set up, to a 75 inch TV, to 120 inch projector.

Right now, I have my pc hooked up to my Sony 900e 75 inch screen, and while I like it..having a desk in the middle of the floor isn't appealing and wife wants it gone.

I've never owned an actual performance monitor, as I always settled for the $300 ish range with whatever ASUS was making at the time.

So what would I actually gain / lose by switching to one of the $700 to $1400 is gaming monitors other than real estate space? Guess I'm looking for more " real world " experience vs a shit ton of stats that I don't really understand. Similar to my audio setup, I've hit the diminishing return stage, and am interested in about where that is for monitors and would I see a significant improvement.

Ty in advance.

I use a CX48 and if i wasnt using it id be on a 38inch LG or AW(likely LG tbh) - for gaming you get better overall experience on real monitors but for the best of both worlds the CX48 or C148 will hold you over until they make 32-38inch OLED panels.

120hz 4k on an OLED is just not something any other monitor can touch - the G9 is nice but even it has nothing on it atm

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user