Gaming and general purpose monitors

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
First world problems... (long story)
  • Ps5 attached to OLED in the bedroom - I can't stand watching TV or playing games from the bed, but my wife loves it. We have a camping chair in the bedroom so I have a chair if I want to play games or watch TV in here, and take advantage of the OLED.
  • Xbox attached to Roku TV 65" in the living room. Couches and recliners. Most comfortable place in the house to watch TV or game, as far as I'm concerned.
  • The "study" - where my desktop is and the new Gigabyte M32U 4k screen
I had moved the OLED out of the bedroom, into a spare bedroom, along with my desktop a while back and it was amazing. My wife had a twin bed in there, and I had a recliner. Was like gaming nirvana and we watched shows and everything. Not like a week after I had it set up my 7-year-old daughter is like I want my own room and it was a valid ask, so back to the bedroom the OLED went and I lost my heavenly gaming space.

Ever since I've been trying to figure out a way to PC game on the OLED, and it's just not working out. Move the OLED into the "study", take off the dual-screen setup I have now and throw the 55" OLED on the desk? Now I'm WAY too close sitting in an office chair. Move the recliner as well into the study, and try and get some kind of hybrid setup with recliner/desk thing going so that I'm further back? Sounds sloppy.

What if I move the OLED to the living room, and swap it with the Roku? Oops, can't do that because the Roku is 65" and has the wide base versus center stand that the OLED has. The bedroom has a small dresser that the OLED sits on and we don't have room to put a 60" wide dresser in its place to support the Roku TV. Honestly, it's pretty big for the bedroom anyway, and it's super nice having the Ps5 on the OLED.

Just doesn't seem like a good solution, so I caved and picked up the M32U so I could 4k game on my desktop PC. I just have sadness whenever I go play PS5 or watch TV in there about how good it looks. It's not even a new OLED but first-gen LG OLED C6 (curved) model. Don't matter, after 9500 hours it's still amazing.

Kajiimagi

<Trapped in Randomonia>
New setup w/ the 2 4K 32" monitors

new setup 1.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
What's the point of multiple monitors if you have to turn around to use them?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I got a Samsung Odyssey G9 a few weeks/months ago. Was an upgrade from having 2x Samsung 27" curved monitors side by side. Since I have been playing Wood Elf Dating Sim 99 a lot lately having the seamless connection between both computers has been really nice.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Trapped in Randomonia>
Setting up new desk over the weekend and this happened. Guess I'm looking for a new main gaming monitor now. This was a good monitor but the BS needed (for the most part) to get games to work using the whole monitor wasn't worth the effort. I think I'm going with a decent fast 4K monitor next.

View attachment 406367
Turned out I was on day 119 of 120 to make a credit card insurance claim. I was just notified that they are sending me half the cost.

• 1Like

Crone

So the Gigabyte M32u 4k monitor is pretty good, however, I got so used to some of the neat things with Ultrawide screens that I think I'm going to go back. I was really hung up on having a top-of-the-line PC, and not pushing 4k, but if I'm going to push 4k, I'm gonna do it on an LG OLED eventually, and not a 32" just to say I'm pushing 4k.

I'm still in my return window from Best Buy, and will use the gift cards or whatever on something else.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So the Gigabyte M32u 4k monitor is pretty good, however, I got so used to some of the neat things with Ultrawide screens that I think I'm going to go back. I was really hung up on having a top-of-the-line PC, and not pushing 4k, but if I'm going to push 4k, I'm gonna do it on an LG OLED eventually, and not a 32" just to say I'm pushing 4k.

I'm still in my return window from Best Buy, and will use the gift cards or whatever on something else.
One good thing about getting the 48" C1 was that you can use a ultrawide resolution (Ex: Lost Ark) and still have a really good size'd area with pure black bars/top bottom which makes it a non distraction.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The Gigabyte M34WQ that seems to be the hotness also seems to be out of stock everywhere. Was considering the LG 34GN850-B as a replacement but it is $800.

This is office use only with zero gaming and I'd prefer to try out an ultrawide, can always fall back to 2x 27" if I need.

Any other suggestions? The Dell S34 is rated high on Rtings also, but man it looks chunky and the curve looks crazy in picture at 1800R.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
The Gigabyte M34WQ that seems to be the hotness also seems to be out of stock everywhere. Was considering the LG 34GN850-B as a replacement but it is $800.

This is office use only with zero gaming and I'd prefer to try out an ultrawide, can always fall back to 2x 27" if I need.

Any other suggestions? The Dell S34 is rated high on Rtings also, but man it looks chunky and the curve looks crazy in picture at 1800R.
Gigabyte M34WQ is out of stock everywhere and likely discontinued.
Dell S34 is the next best on rtings, and yes its chunky, but it looks to fit your budget and use case nicely
if you're already hip to rtings, probably not much more we can do fer ya

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Gigabyte M34WQ is out of stock everywhere and likely discontinued.
Dell S34 is the next best on rtings, and yes its chunky, but it looks to fit your budget and use case nicely
if you're already hip to rtings, probably not much more we can do fer ya

There's always the off chance that someone has actually used one in real life. As you say, I'm aware of rtings but also enjoy soliciting feedback from people here. Well, certain people ;)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I kind of bucked trend a bit and went with the Asus TUF VG34 and Ergotron HX arm. The Asus had very similar reviews to everything on rtings and I’ve been an Asus monitor fanboy for about a decade now, so it seemed like a fair choice.

If it gets here and it looks like I can fit a 38” though I may consider stepping up. It’d be a business expense anyways.

Should be here Wednesday.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
you're gonna love that ergo HX.

I was actually gonna suggest a 38" for work, but its still kinda a silly choice. the price spike isn't really worth it, unless your productivity would really benefit from the extra real estate and someone else is paying for it. I'm gaming on a LG38WN95-CW and loving it, but probably would make the move to a 42" LC C2 if they can figure out the 120Hz BFI

• 1Like

Crone

I know there are haters, but fuck man Ultrawide is so good. I just switched back to my 34" 1440p ultrawide from the Gigabyte 4k 32" I had bought and I'm so happy. It's so much better for me.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I kind of bucked trend a bit and went with the Asus TUF VG34 and Ergotron HX arm. The Asus had very similar reviews to everything on rtings and I’ve been an Asus monitor fanboy for about a decade now, so it seemed like a fair choice.

If it gets here and it looks like I can fit a 38” though I may consider stepping up. It’d be a business expense anyways.

Should be here Wednesday.

Came in on time and got it set up on the Ergotron. Only thing so far with the arm is that the TUF doesn't seem to be heavy enough to keep the "head" of the mount level, even on the lightest setting. I can tilt it down to face straight on but the springs are so tight it tilts back up slightly. In the long run may not be noticeable and doesn't really make a huge difference. Was just immediate an oddity. Rest of the arm articulates and balances perfect with just slight adjustments.

Monitor itself is awesome. No complaints but have never used a 34" ultrawide to compare to. Since it is on my work laptop no way to test out any game related stuff. Productivity wise it was really easy today to switch from using two monitors to this single. Even keeping multiple RDP open and Excel and Visio files. Really feels nice after one half a working day.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Came in on time and got it set up on the Ergotron. Only thing so far with the arm is that the TUF doesn't seem to be heavy enough to keep the "head" of the mount level, even on the lightest setting. I can tilt it down to face straight on but the springs are so tight it tilts back up slightly. In the long run may not be noticeable and doesn't really make a huge difference. Was just immediate an oddity. Rest of the arm articulates and balances perfect with just slight adjustments.
You should be able to very precisely adjust the load. The default assumes that you will have it slightly lower than eye-level and tilt slightly upward.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You should be able to very precisely adjust the load. The default assumes that you will have it slightly lower than eye-level and tilt slightly upward.

That does make sense and probably why it hasn’t been noticeable in actual use and only stood out while setting it up.

As far as adjusting though, that screw is as loose as it will go and still forces it upwards. But, see above, it won’t end up mattering and your explanation makes sense. If I ever did have to raise it and needed to fix it I’d complain and Google.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
That does make sense and probably why it hasn’t been noticeable in actual use and only stood out while setting it up.

As far as adjusting though, that screw is as loose as it will go and still forces it upwards. But, see above, it won’t end up mattering and your explanation makes sense. If I ever did have to raise it and needed to fix it I’d complain and Google.
I think you're supposed to tighten it, not loosen it.

Think about it this way: the natural tendency is to tilt upwards slightly. Tightening the screw makes it more resistant to doing its own thing.

I used to setup computer labs for the school department in the summertime for years, but that was a while ago never actually had the Ergotron HX. I have helped setup a 911 PSAP though and I think they had Ergotron LXes or MXes.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think you're supposed to tighten it, not loosen it.

Think about it this way: the natural tendency is to tilt upwards slightly. Tightening the screw makes it more resistant to doing its own thing.

I used to setup computer labs for the school department in the summertime for years, but that was a while ago never actually had the Ergotron HX. I have helped setup a 911 PSAP though and I think they had Ergotron LXes or MXes.

Okay look, I have it, I set it up and have the instructions. The screw turns both ways, one way tightens it and increases the resistance and one way decreases the resistance. If it is fully tightened the damn thing doesn’t move at all and points up to the ceiling (not really, exaggerating). If it is fully loose it balances with a slight upward tilt as you describe.

Unless you’re suggesting that I force the monitor down with one hand against the tension of the spring and torque it down to max to get it to stay. Which goes against every indication of the instructions and way that the rest of the arm is adjusted.

That could be the way, I don’t know 🤷‍♂️