Gaming and general purpose monitors

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

This got a really strong rtings review:

For someone who wants a 4k gaming monitor that isn't quite a TV, this seems pretty good.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Got the AW3423DW today and im pretty sure im going to just stick to the CX48. I cant tell the difference between the Gsync Ult and Compat at all, and while it hits 175hz it doesnt seem different enough from the 120 my CX was doing. I will fiddle with it a bit more but i see no reason to keep it vs keeping my CX48

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

This got a really strong rtings review:

For someone who wants a 4k gaming monitor that isn't quite a TV, this seems pretty good.
Much more interesting than the oled, just need 38” and I’m in. Getting closer

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Husband wants a new monitor for his birthday and asked me for a Samsung 27” G5 Odyssey. Is this monitor worth it for $300 or is there another one comparable in specs that would be more reliable or a better deal (see a lot of reviews about this one just straight up cracking down the middle). No idea what’s out there on the market currently, since I’m still running with two 24”s from 2012.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Husband wants a new monitor for his birthday and asked me for a Samsung 27” G5 Odyssey. Is this monitor worth it for $300 or is there another one comparable in specs that would be more reliable or a better deal (see a lot of reviews about this one just straight up cracking down the middle). No idea what’s out there on the market currently, since I’m still running with two 24”s from 2012.

Gaming monitor or non-gaming?

These are the best 1440p monitors under 400 dollars:

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Gaming. I guess he wants something curved, though (I dunno if it’s just for the novelty /shrug). I’ll show him these though and see if he’s cool with them.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Curved 27 inch monitors kinda suck if you ask me.

This is a really nice curved ultrawide for the price, or the non-ultrawide version for real cheap:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Curved 27 inch monitors kinda suck if you ask me.

This is a really nice curved ultrawide for the price, or the non-ultrawide version for real cheap:

Yeah curved on small monitors is another type of "wtf" because its not like theyre big and unless youre sitting too fn close its pointless. Not to mention Odyssey monitors usually have that sharp curve thats even more annoying on a small monitor.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah curved on small monitors is another type of "wtf" because its not like theyre big and unless youre sitting too fn close its pointless. Not to mention Odyssey monitors usually have that sharp curve thats even more annoying on a small monitor.
Yeah, I would have bought any of those G8 or G9 Samsung monitors if they came in non-curved or lightly-curved.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I dunno why he wants the curve /shrug. Ended up hitting up the Best Buy nearby and they had the 32in version of the Dell QHD on sale for $299, so grabbed that. Thanks for the recommendation, hopefully he doesn’t hate it!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I dunno why he wants the curve /shrug. Ended up hitting up the Best Buy nearby and they had the 32in version of the Dell QHD on sale for $299, so grabbed that. Thanks for the recommendation, hopefully he doesn’t hate it!
The DELL 32 is quite popular and known as a good monitor. If he gets grump remind of of how ungrateful he as you tried to make him happy!

• 1Like

Nemesis

Bridgeburner

The LG C2 42 has an optional black frame insertion feature to reduce persistence blur. Unlike the LG 48 C1 OLED, it only flickers at 60Hz, and you can't use it at all with 120 fps content. For it to work, you need to enable OLED Motion, and you also need to make sure you disable VRR and have Prevent Input Delay set to 'Standard', which significantly increases the input lag.

Maybe I'm expecting too much... I was disappointed about the lack of BFI at 120hz, but if it's not compatible with VRR, do I want/need it?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cross post of sorts, been looking at lg c1 tvs, and we a lot of people using like a 48" for gaming.

What's the downside of trying to use one over a conventional 27 ish monitor. Bought one of the 1440p 144hrz ones from this thread last year.

48 hard to envision, not sure you can have it at the back of a desk vs would have to wall mount and a good 6 foot plus working distance?

I am a luddite so barely can mess with much settings beyond plug play and maybe some simple onboard modes or following guides on what to change on my graphics card software

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not a great monitor but the price is right:

1656964852778.png

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Cross post of sorts, been looking at lg c1 tvs, and we a lot of people using like a 48" for gaming.

What's the downside of trying to use one over a conventional 27 ish monitor. Bought one of the 1440p 144hrz ones from this thread last year.

48 hard to envision, not sure you can have it at the back of a desk vs would have to wall mount and a good 6 foot plus working distance?

I am a luddite so barely can mess with much settings beyond plug play and maybe some simple onboard modes or following guides on what to change on my graphics card software

I have the same question about using a 48” as a desktop monitor. It seems like it’d either be amazing or terrible.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I have the same question about using a 48” as a desktop monitor. It seems like it’d either be amazing or terrible.

I just ordered a 48” LC C1, so I’ll letcha know!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

I had the CX48 for a year then went to AW OLED then got rid of that and went to C2 48 - once youre there its hard to go anywhere else.

• 1Like