Gaming and general purpose monitors

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
bold GIF

Getting it for like less than half of MSRP, so figured I'd give it a shot. Probably going to move my desk so I can just mount the displays to the wall or something, but want to see what having this huge flat 48" over a very curved 49" looks like first, before I start drilling any holes, lol. If I just go w/ the newer 48" a friend already said he's interested in my G9, so yay for options I guess.

Ok. On my Samsung G9 I turn on HDR via Windows 11. I get a very washed out picture immediately. Is there something more I should be doing?

I usually keep this off, but do give it a go at times and enjoy auto HDR in most games. I stream and like taking screenshots, so that's why I typically end up turning it off and then don't get around to turning it back on. It does feel kind of like a washed out glow in Windows, it's not the greatest and wish it could be tuned a little more or something. Usually just get used to it over time when I do use it and doesn't bother me much.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ok. On my Samsung G9 I turn on HDR via Windows 11. I get a very washed out picture immediately. Is there something more I should be doing?
Yes, it's normal for SDR content to look washed out with HDR enabled. You can adjust the brightness and saturation of SDR content to some degree via the Windows HDR menu, and you can enable auto HDR for games to upconvert the games.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
These could be nice, Corsair's first monitor was actually pretty good.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Looking to replace my 27" Dell 144 Hz 1440p display as it isn't IPS nor supports HDR.

Mist Mist I scanned back and saw your recommendation for this:
Currently model of the Dell is the S2716DG - bought it a long time ago on sale because I wanted a 144hz display with G Sync and IPS/HDR models were through the roof. (Nabbed it for $399 at BB)
Now knowing it is HDR (Wouldn't use it with games that do not support it) and it's IPS, am curious how much of a noticeable color pop I would see in the switch.

Looks pretty good for the price but wanted to check and see if there are other options as well. 27" 2k really is where I want to be at unless a 2070 Super AMD 3700x can handle 4k gaming which seems pretty iffy.

Thoughts?

Edit: I also have Flicker when in G-Sync on the Dell. Wonder if this is a by product of G Sync or the display and with the LG if I would have the same issue.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Looking to replace my 27" Dell 144 Hz 1440p display as it isn't IPS nor supports HDR.

Currently model of the Dell is the S2716DG - bought it a long time ago on sale because I wanted a 144hz display with G Sync and IPS/HDR models were through the roof. (Nabbed it for $399 at BB)
Now knowing it is HDR (Wouldn't use it with games that do not support it) and it's IPS, am curious how much of a noticeable color pop I would see in the switch.

Looks pretty good for the price but wanted to check and see if there are other options as well. 27" 2k really is where I want to be at unless a 2070 Super AMD 3700x can handle 4k gaming which seems pretty iffy.

Thoughts?

Edit: I also have Flicker when in G-Sync on the Dell. Wonder if this is a by product of G Sync or the display and with the LG if I would have the same issue.

The flicker could also be a cable. I have two of the same monitor and I have no issues.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Thoughts?

I also had a S2716DG and had flicker issues due to weird ESD things, including that very strange chair cylinder issue I posted in the other thread. Just touching my office chair would cause the screen to flicker in the winter.

Also, technically, every game supports HDR on Windows 11. That said, it isn't very good. HDR still kinda sucks on PC. Forza Horizon 5 is still the only game I've ever played where the HDR actually looked good on PC.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I also had a S2716DG and had flicker issues due to weird ESD things, including that very strange chair cylinder issue I posted in the other thread. Just touching my office chair would cause the screen to flicker in the winter.

Also, technically, every game supports HDR on Windows 11. That said, it isn't very good. HDR still kinda sucks on PC. Forza Horizon 5 is still the only game I've ever played where the HDR actually looked good on PC.

Copy. I ended up ordering it and it comes tomorrow. Will be cool to use gsync and better color pop without flicker. :)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Copy. I ended up ordering it and it comes tomorrow. Will be cool to use gsync and better color pop without flicker. :)

I have an earlier version of that LG, the LG 27GL83A-B. It's a solid monitor and I've been very happy with it, but the HDR is lousy and not worth using. Yours (rtings review) is at least HDR 400 certified, whereas mine is not. HDR 400 is still shit tier HDR, but should be an improvement. As long as you're not counting on that, you should be happy.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm still very happy with my

But it sure cost a shitload of money.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much spot on with what I’m looking for; except the glossy screen. Pretty much hard pass.

I was also looking at a widescreen with built in KVM since I just started a new job that’s WFH, and they reimburse up to $500 for ergonomic blah blah.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It definitely does not have a glossy screen.

Here's the best review of it:

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sweet Mother of God this is a good monitor. I cannot believe I have gone this lone on my Dell 27". The coverage spread for color and brightness/contrast - 10 Bit color - Holy shit.

What is even better is now I have my Dell 27 to the right as a second display replacing an old 1200p Dell IPS 24". The flicker with Gsync is completely gone with the LG. So I put it enabled in full screen and windowed mode - and yet, on the Dell it is still there. But I do not care anymore :p

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Think I’m going the ultrawide route. Don’t have much time to game and the extra real estate will be nice for work. Just need to figure out a KVM to grab.

LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS Gaming Monitor with 160Hz and G-SYNC Compatibility - Black (34GP83A-B) https://a.co/d/gbiAHU4

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Think I’m going the ultrawide route. Don’t have much time to game and the extra real estate will be nice for work. Just need to figure out a KVM to grab.

LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS Gaming Monitor with 160Hz and G-SYNC Compatibility - Black (34GP83A-B) https://a.co/d/gbiAHU4
I ended up rolling the dice w/ a 'used like new' on Amazon for $600. I opened it up today and you practically can't tell it was even unboxed. Haven't had new monitor since 2011? And that thing took a direct hit from a book shelf that fell over in an earthquake in 2013.

I have a new 24" Dell that's in solid shape and makes a good second monitor. How feasible is it to run a KVM to share the 34" w/ my home desktop and work laptop + docking station?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I ended up rolling the dice w/ a 'used like new' on Amazon for $600. I opened it up today and you practically can't tell it was even unboxed. Haven't had new monitor since 2011? And that thing took a direct hit from a book shelf that fell over in an earthquake in 2013.

I have a new 24" Dell that's in solid shape and makes a good second monitor. How feasible is it to run a KVM to share the 34" w/ my home desktop and work laptop + docking station?
was your box busted? i always take the chance to buy used like new, especially when it says "come with original packaging" which means the packaging is damage but otherwise unopened.

like i bought this cute luggage for my wife for 30bucks
28a4fad3e8d8aea869f8e3aa44267967.png

and the packaging was like torn up, but it's fucking luggage so who cares, it's supposed to be thrown about, ha.

(now shes saying she don't like clamshell suitcases no more, so i guess i get to walk around w/ a cute suitcase, idc)