Gaming and general purpose monitors

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Samsung's 1440p 34" OLED is $1499.

I want the LG 45" but I'd like to see it on display in Best Buy first... but yeah, pretty sure I'd love the thing.
That's pretty cool....

While these specs alone sound fairly impressive, the other standout ability is that it gives you a way to play games without a console or PC attached. That’s because it comes with Samsung’s Gaming Hub, a nifty portal where you can access cloud gaming services directly from the monitor, including Nvidia’s GeForce Now and Xbox Game Pass. You can also use the hub to stream content on Netflix, YouTube TV, and more.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
LG Ultragear 45" arrived...

1st off, its literally half the weight of my G9.

The 800R curve is perfect for the size.

You can tell the pixel density is lower when on desktop. This will bother most. Text is slightly blurry. In game you don't notice it.

I have never seen an OLED display. I READ about them, but never seen one in action. I turned the monitor on and swore it wasn't on. Then the LG logo was just...there. The black still looking like the monitor was off. Amazing!

In game? OMFG! It's as a big a step when I 1st used Gsync.

BF2042 looks MUCH better. Monster Hunter Rise looks amazing for what it is!

I ran WH40K Darktide, and a big beef a lot of people have with the game, including myself, is that everything blends into one big grey mess when there is tons of shit on screen. Now? I can see every damn monster clearly. Still a big grey mess, but a clear grey mess.

Elden Ring? Ya. Just when you thought it couldn't look any better.

But the biggest difference in a game I can tell is Darktide. The separation of the greys is noticeable.

Also ZERO ghosting. Like none. I can not see any. 1st time in more than 20 years I can say that.

Now can someone please tell me why the fuck HDR looks washed out!!!!!!????? Pics...

ccc.jpg
aaa.jpg
bbb.jpg
ddd.jpg
eee.jpg

• 3Mother of God
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

You can tell the pixel density is lower when on desktop. This will bother most. Text is slightly blurry. In game you don't notice it.

I have never seen an OLED display. I READ about them, but never seen one in action. I turned the monitor on and swore it wasn't on. Then the LG logo was just...there. The black still looking like the monitor was off. Amazing!

I ran WH40K Darktide, and a big beef a lot of people have with the game, including myself, is that everything blends into one big grey mess when there is tons of shit on screen. Now? I can see every damn monster clearly. Still a big grey mess, but a clear grey mess.

But the biggest difference in a game I can tell is Darktide. The separation of the greys is noticeable.

Also ZERO ghosting. Like none. I can not see any. 1st time in more than 20 years I can say that.

Now can someone please tell me why the fuck HDR looks washed out!!!!!!????? Pics...

View attachment 457394View attachment 457396View attachment 457397View attachment 457398View attachment 457399
Make sure the game is set to HDR mode, and not trying to render SDR with the display in HDR.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's more of the desktop looks washed out.
Oh, yeah, that's a balance setting you have to fix in the Windows HDR settings, and it will still look desaturated compared to HDR.

The 'fix' is that Window + Alt + B is the secret key combo for turning HDR on and off quickly. Strongly recommend being on Windows 11 if you plan to daily drive HDR on the desktop.

The contrast slider in Nvidia Control Panel can also help get the desktop black/white balance looking better. You might then have to adjust the HDR settings ingame for the new white point/black point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Oh, yeah, that's a balance setting you have to fix in the Windows HDR settings, and it will still look desaturated compared to HDR.

The 'fix' is that Window + Alt + B is the secret key combo for turning HDR on and off quickly. Strongly recommend being on Windows 11 if you plan to daily drive HDR on the desktop.

The contrast slider in Nvidia Control Panel can also help get the desktop black/white balance looking better. You might then have to adjust the HDR settings ingame for the new white point/black point.

Thank you...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 457394View attachment 457396View attachment 457397View attachment 457398View attachment 457399
you have gundam next to router

and you don't have gundam that is a router?
asus-mobile-suit-gundam-rtax86u-rtax82u-00.jpg

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Blown

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx STOP! YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

Oh lord he saw it
View attachment 457519
he can buy both and put them to good use by ai-mesh since he has a multifloor home, he can keep the red one at his computer since that is' char's zaku 2. (this only makes sense to weebs since Brahma Brahma has amuros hanging around w/ no one to fight)

and he can put the gundam one on the other floors that has low wifi signal, ai-mesh works really nice, i'm saying that now... since i'm replacing my aimesh for tplink wifi6e, tho. (i think my router was fucked up this weekend)

Kiki

Log Wizard

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
you have gundam next to router

and you don't have gundam that is a router?
why stop there?

1675792525206.png

1675792487488.png

• 1Like
  • 1Blown

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Best Buy with a steep discount with in store pricing only (or a computer glitch):

Online Price:
2023-02-08 15.20.49 www.bestbuy.com 0fceebbf5101.png

In store price (can have them ring it up at customer service and ship it to you):
2023-02-08 15.22.02 www.bestbuy.com d60800cbcbdf.png

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I saw this behemoth at microcenter and thought of Brahma Brahma .

You gonna get 3 of them?

Attachments

• 20230209_100531.jpg
    20230209_100531.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
For the most part don't think that concept was very well received, we'll see if they produce any more or if it's a one-off.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Alright, so, I’m currently running an RX 5700 and a 7-8 year old Nixeus 1080p. The AW2723DF appears to be running at $550, which I believe is an all-time low. I also have an Amex offer that will knock off another $120.

Any other QHD monitors worth considering around this price range that would offer a still better value? I‘m leery about OLED burnin because I hold my components for a long time, and most of the games I play like FF14 have a lot of static images, so I feel like the risk would be higher.

Thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Long story short;
  • I hate buying things online when I don't understand what I am buying, in this instance; monitors
  • last week, out with wife, buy 3060ti (had a 1660) and 16g more ram to go to 32g. We go out for lunch and decide I also need new monitors.
  • Buy the fancy sounding ones with the big numbers that were still in my price range (a little over after taxes) that weren't white. I fucking hate white plastic, looks like grubby shit far too soon.
  • Get home, set up, test Elden Ring and look at fps at different settings...
Flash forward to today, installed new 850w power supply and barely, like BARELY, fit my 4080 into the case and for a second it really looked like it wouldn't fit.
Monitors I bought; gigabyte m28u(s), two of of them because I wanted them to be the same. Why did I choose them? The big numbers.

I am fucking idiot sometimes but lately it seems like it's only sometimes that I am not a fucking idiot.

Anyways, everything looks fucking glorious now. I just needed somewhere to confess.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Long story short;
  • I hate buying things online when I don't understand what I am buying, in this instance; monitors
  • last week, out with wife, buy 3060ti (had a 1660) and 16g more ram to go to 32g. We go out for lunch and decide I also need new monitors.
  • Buy the fancy sounding ones with the big numbers that were still in my price range (a little over after taxes) that weren't white. I fucking hate white plastic, looks like grubby shit far too soon.
  • Get home, set up, test Elden Ring and look at fps at different settings...
Flash forward to today, installed new 850w power supply and barely, like BARELY, fit my 4080 into the case and for a second it really looked like it wouldn't fit.
Monitors I bought; gigabyte m28u(s), two of of them because I wanted them to be the same. Why did I choose them? The big numbers.

I am fucking idiot sometimes but lately it seems like it's only sometimes that I am not a fucking idiot.

Anyways, everything looks fucking glorious now. I just needed somewhere to confess.
Listen, I've been outrageously tempted to buy a second 27 inch oled monitor when all I do is read forums/discord and watch videos on my second monitor. Purely because it would match, and because oled. That's worth a grand right?