Gaming and general purpose monitors

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

So yeah I bought this.

Seems like they fixed all the problems with it with firmware updates, I'd say it's better than the 2 alternatives.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

So yeah I bought this.

Seems like they fixed all the problems with it with firmware updates, I'd say it's better than the 2 alternatives.
I turned on my personal desktop last night for the first time in months since work has been so busy. My work setup is an Asus ultra wide and sitting at my gaming PC on a regular 27” 1440p was annoying as heck.

Definitely looking at picking up a second UW for “business.”

edit: lol Amazon Prime Free delivery tomorrow. Amazon Business Free delivery Monday.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The glossy screen+low-reflective coating on this Samsung makes every other monitor I've ever used look like dogshit by comparison. What small issues the display had were fixed with firmware updates. It comes with good speakers built in, as good as a low-end Samsung TV, in case you ever want to take your headphones off and chill (for me, when I'm drying my hair.)

The other important thing with the Samsung is that it actually does 10-bit color at 175hz, the Alienware ones do not.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The glossy screen+low-reflective coating on this Samsung makes every other monitor I've ever used look like dogshit by comparison. What small issues the display had were fixed with firmware updates. It comes with good speakers built in, as good as a low-end Samsung TV, in case you ever want to take your headphones off and chill (for me, when I'm drying my hair.)

The other important thing with the Samsung is that it actually does 10-bit color at 175hz, the Alienware ones do not.

I actually had the Alienware delivered yesterday b/c I'm too impulsive. Haven't noticed the glare thing in my room set up being a distraction. I don't think those things are really a major concern of mine at the moment. My main concern was the firmware version and the lack of user upgradeability. Mine is a manufacture date of April and appears to be on the latest. In a year I'll just move this one over to my desk and order a new one. This has more than satisfied what I wanted in being able to go back and forth between Work / Play and be consistent. If anything my Asus work one looks like crap.

Plus, Asus didn't even ship a cable input cover for the back of the monitor, at least the Alienware has one. And it matches my Ergotron monitor color since they're both white.

See, Mist, you should have just responded earlier and kept my decision making on track!

Seriously though, this looks great and I'm very happy. Ran the HDR Calibration tool as well.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I actually had the Alienware delivered yesterday b/c I'm too impulsive. Haven't noticed the glare thing in my room set up being a distraction. I don't think those things are really a major concern of mine at the moment. My main concern was the firmware version and the lack of user upgradeability. Mine is a manufacture date of April and appears to be on the latest. In a year I'll just move this one over to my desk and order a new one. This has more than satisfied what I wanted in being able to go back and forth between Work / Play and be consistent. If anything my Asus work one looks like crap.

Plus, Asus didn't even ship a cable input cover for the back of the monitor, at least the Alienware has one. And it matches my Ergotron monitor color since they're both white.

See, Mist, you should have just responded earlier and kept my decision making on track!

Seriously though, this looks great and I'm very happy. Ran the HDR Calibration tool as well.
You should definitely check out the Samsung and see which one you like better. Free returns are a thing.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I’ve damaged my AW3423dwf by doing work on it for 4 months. I have a lighter section in the middle of my screen from a scroll bar on one of my side locked windows. I’m sure there are other burn in areas, but this is the main one I notice since it’s directly in the middle of the screen.

Don’t do actual work on an OLED if you care about the screen.

I’m already starting to look at regular lcds again as a replacement for my fuck up.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Between the glossy finish, the response time and the colors, this thing makes every other monitor I've ever used in my life look like shit.

Gonna be sad when it burns in in 3 months lool

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Between the glossy finish, the response time and the colors, this thing makes every other monitor I've ever used in my life look like shit.

Gonna be sad when it burns in in 3 months lool
At least you know the risks when you buy Samsung panels.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've come to a point in life where "good enough" is just fine. Like, all the stuff Mist mentions is probably true. But these are small dragons that I cannot chase and whether the Samsung has 10-bit color at whatever refresh vs. the Alienware is totally beyond my capacity for appreciating. Or the effort required to go through a return process.

This isn't me doubting the accuracy or diminishing the opinion. This is one area where y'all undoubtedly far exceed my research. I'm only playing 10 minute roguelike stuff now anyways.

Oh well, my stream of consciousness thought quota for the day.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Got this for my secondary PC. 27" 1080p, 165hz, MVA panel for $180. Certainly not the greatest screen I've ever seen but for the price and my use case I'm pretty happy with it. Amazingly cheap really, considering the specs it would have been a $400+ monitor a decade ago.

First one I got had a dead pixel on it so make sure to get it somewhere you can return/swap it.

gak

<Gold Donor>
We asked LG for a burn-in warranty on its OLED monitor — and it’s delivering

burn.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Unfortunately why I went IPS again recently and led tv as well. I just don't want to have to worry about dumb shit and micromanage electronics.

Half the people say it isn't a problem and the other half say it is. At the end of the day for now it's 100% not my problem. Hopefully they eventually fix it.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Finally snagged a monitor arm. The table I use for a desk has a very small/thin lip, so it couldn't clamp very well. Snagged one that went into a stud in the wall.

aaaaa.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I need to get a new monitor. I'm currently using an old Dell 27" with a low refresh rate. What are some things I should consider?

Refresh rate, does it matter after a certain number?
Resolution, I can't imagine needing anything higher than 2k in the foreseeable future unless I had a beast of a machine.
Brands? I haven't bought a monitor in ages as my last two were free. I've never had to compare brands lol.
Response time? Does it matter that much?

I'll go do some reading but would like the opinions of you nerds.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I need to get a new monitor. I'm currently using an old Dell 27" with a low refresh rate. What are some things I should consider?

Refresh rate, does it matter after a certain number?
Resolution, I can't imagine needing anything higher than 2k in the foreseeable future unless I had a beast of a machine.
Brands? I haven't bought a monitor in ages as my last two were free. I've never had to compare brands lol.
Response time? Does it matter that much?

I'll go do some reading but would like the opinions of you nerds.

I personally can not tell after about 144. But I'm old.

What's your video card going to be? I would work around that as far as resolution goes.

I like LG as a brand. Followed by Samsung.

Yes.

Get a Gsync/OLED. Both are game changers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I personally can not tell after about 144. But I'm old.

What's your video card going to be? I would work around that as far as resolution goes.

I like LG as a brand. Followed by Samsung.

Yes.

Get a Gsync/OLED. Both are game changers.
LG is great but after this Alienware I’m sold on that for upper range.

If on a budget get asus/benq/ LG 144hz 1440 27 inch. I own a Asus and LG 27 inch with 1440 144 hz. They are both great.

I have an Alienware 27 1440 240 hz but it’s overkill for your needs and my buddies has a LG 32 144 140 hz and that’s probably yet again overkill.

fred sanford fred sanford I’d sell ya one cheap if you lived near by.

I’d go with LG /Benq/ asus 144 hz 1440- it’s the fairest trade for resolution and refresh but awesome graphics for pc gaming (and it works up to 120 hz on the newer consoles)

Last edited:
  • 2Like