Gaming and general purpose monitors

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to wait until they make second gen OLED monitors that fix the text-rendering problems before I think about buying 2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Long story short;
  • I hate buying things online when I don't understand what I am buying, in this instance; monitors
  • last week, out with wife, buy 3060ti (had a 1660) and 16g more ram to go to 32g. We go out for lunch and decide I also need new monitors.
  • Buy the fancy sounding ones with the big numbers that were still in my price range (a little over after taxes) that weren't white. I fucking hate white plastic, looks like grubby shit far too soon.
  • Get home, set up, test Elden Ring and look at fps at different settings...
Flash forward to today, installed new 850w power supply and barely, like BARELY, fit my 4080 into the case and for a second it really looked like it wouldn't fit.
Monitors I bought; gigabyte m28u(s), two of of them because I wanted them to be the same. Why did I choose them? The big numbers.

I am fucking idiot sometimes but lately it seems like it's only sometimes that I am not a fucking idiot.

Anyways, everything looks fucking glorious now. I just needed somewhere to confess.

I have a closet with 3 diff newish 27” monitors collecting dust. You’re not thaaaat dumb.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a closet with 3 diff newish 27” monitors collecting dust. You’re not thaaaat dumb.
use em for a home security system, when i sold my old home, i left my security system w/ a 22in monitor there, and they loved it.
it was a shitty asus 22

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I got sick of fighting with my cheap monitor arms so I bought 2 of these since they were on 'sale.'

They've got a 15 year warranty so I'm hoping that pays off long-term.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I got sick of fighting with my cheap monitor arms so I bought 2 of these since they were on 'sale.'

They've got a 15 year warranty so I'm hoping that pays off long-term.
These are fucking dope. Ridiculously indulgent but really cool.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
the newer G9 is up on Insiders, usually cattle call when they accept people for these popular ones (let too many in, site crashes, crap shoot if you actually make it)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just needed to pick up a mid-range 1440p monitor for console use when I'm not at home, and while I was waffling over the shitty options Amazon had, they put the LG 32GP850-B on sale for $279 (regular price was $500 just a few weeks ago). It's one of rtings top choices for console monitors so it seemed like a no-brainer. Just have to hope you win--or at least don't horribly lose--the panel lottery, as it seems they vary widely in how bad the IPS glow is. Only other oddity I saw was that for some reason the 27" version can do 1440p natively from the new-ish PS5 output setting, but the 32" just displays a black screen and you have to choose 4K and let it downscale instead. I was leaning towards buying the 27" before the sale happened, but it seemed silly to buy a 27" for like $70 more than a 32".

Anyone else in the market for something similar, it's this one:
Ignore the price, the widget always gets it wrong when something just went on sale.
NM, apparently this was a price mistake or something. It's back to normal after only a few hours.

Last edited:

Vorph

Looking for others' thoughts on this:
20230625_114728.jpg

Would you keep a monitor with IPS glow that pronounced? It looks great playing FF16, until you go into the menus or enter a dark area and then it's noticeable. And contrary to what Rtings said, it *IS* compatible with PS5's native 1440p mode and even passed the 120Hz test. The other main downside is that HDR400 is still bad and FF16 looks much better with HDR shut off at the system level and the monitor settings tuned for as much contrast as possible (with HDR on, literally everything except brightness and sharpness are greyed out in the monitor settings). And as expected it's worse at night, especially since that room only has a single table lamp in it for light and anyway I'm used to playing console games in the dark with only the immersion backlight on my TV to light the room at all.

Problem is, Amazon put it on sale for such a low price that they're completely sold out and doing an exchange to try my luck at the panel lottery a second time isn't an option. So I'd have to just get my money back and figure out a completely different monitor to try. This is what Rtings says is the best for sub-$500 though, so short of trying out a VA instead of IPS I'm not sure what to even consider as an alternative.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 479801

Would you keep a monitor with IPS glow that pronounced? It looks great playing FF16, until you go into the menus or enter a dark area and then it's noticeable. And contrary to what Rtings said, it *IS* compatible with PS5's native 1440p mode and even passed the 120Hz test. The other main downside is that HDR400 is still bad and FF16 looks much better with HDR shut off at the system level and the monitor settings tuned for as much contrast as possible (with HDR on, literally everything except brightness and sharpness are greyed out in the monitor settings). And as expected it's worse at night, especially since that room only has a single table lamp in it for light and anyway I'm used to playing console games in the dark with only the immersion backlight on my TV to light the room at all.

Problem is, Amazon put it on sale for such a low price that they're completely sold out and doing an exchange to try my luck at the panel lottery a second time isn't an option. So I'd have to just get my money back and figure out a completely different monitor to try. This is what Rtings says is the best for sub-$500 though, so short of trying out a VA instead of IPS I'm not sure what to even consider as an alternative.
They're all like that. HDR is really bad on those.

Vorph

They're all like that. HDR is really bad on those.
Yeah, I can live without HDR, especially since the settings I'm using right now look almost as good as my TV does with HDR on, in bright areas of FF16.

It's just that when I think "IPS glow" it's something more like this:
Pictures make it look worse than it is (including the one I posted) but you can still see that mine is far worse than that link.

I'm going to use it for a few more days I guess, maybe it'll come back into stock at Amazon and I can just exchange for the same model.

What really annoys me is the 25" HP monitor I bought for Destiny (1, on release day) still has far better contrast and overall image quality than any IPS I've seen recently. Blacks are actually black and there's almost zero backlight bleed. Can't beat my one VA panel for contrast of course but it trounces it in overall IQ too. I"d still be using it except it's just too small and there's no way I'm playing new games at 1080p.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I can live without HDR, especially since the settings I'm using right now look almost as good as my TV does with HDR on, in bright areas of FF16.

It's just that when I think "IPS glow" it's something more like this:
Pictures make it look worse than it is (including the one I posted) but you can still see that mine is far worse than that link.

I'm going to use it for a few more days I guess, maybe it'll come back into stock at Amazon and I can just exchange for the same model.

What really annoys me is the 25" HP monitor I bought for Destiny (1, on release day) still has far better contrast and overall image quality than any IPS I've seen recently. Blacks are actually black and there's almost zero backlight bleed. Can't beat my one VA panel for contrast of course but it trounces it in overall IQ too. I"d still be using it except it's just too small and there's no way I'm playing new games at 1080p.

Try this instead?

Vorph

Try this instead?
Yeah, that was the other one I was looking at before the LG went on sale and make it the no-brainer choice. Ruled it out at first because of the black smear rtings mentioned in their review but if it goes on sale for $250 again in the next month I'll probably buy one just to try it out. Sucks that it's not available direct from Amazon too, I know Dell has a great pixel policy now but I'm not sure how well they handle "there's nothing wrong with this, I just don't want it" returns.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 479801

i think you need better maid service

• 1WTF

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
LG850 whatever that was pimped here a few years ago is acting like it might go out. Image will start to vibrate a little then screen go black for a few seconds and come back. Happens fairly randomly. It's never played nice with any sort of monitor shutoff timer on the computer, it would go into a state of going black, flashing like an old monitor coming on, back to black until you woke it up.

This is just at desktop, havnt tried it gaming, but simple troubleshooting I'd like to replace the display cable's. Not sure if ireused, should be ones included I think but don't remeber.

what's a solid set that will handle 144hz 2440 correctly?
Most of my monitors lasted a decade ago in going to be salty if this one kicks it barely under 3.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
LG850 whatever that was pimped here a few years ago is acting like it might go out. Image will start to vibrate a little then screen go black for a few seconds and come back. Happens fairly randomly. It's never played nice with any sort of monitor shutoff timer on the computer, it would go into a state of going black, flashing like an old monitor coming on, back to black until you woke it up.

This is just at desktop, havnt tried it gaming, but simple troubleshooting I'd like to replace the display cable's. Not sure if ireused, should be ones included I think but don't remeber.

what's a solid set that will handle 144hz 2440 correctly?
Most of my monitors lasted a decade ago in going to be salty if this one kicks it barely under 3.
I got both alienwares now and no looking back.