Gaming and general purpose monitors

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
LG is great but after this Alienware I’m sold.

If on a budget get asus/benq/ LG 144hz 1440 27 inch

if not get Alienware 27 incb 1440 240 hz or LG 32 1440 140 hz

144 hz is fine but I’m noticing much smoother gameplay with my 240 in Max settings Baldurs Gate (literally first world problems)But yeah it’s definitely minor.

I own all three of those monitors @fred sanford too bad you aren’t in VA or I’d sell one cheap.

Go 144 hz 1440- it’s the fairest trade for resolution but awesome graphics for pc gaming (and it works up to 120 hz on the newer consoles)

Yeah, my 3080ti isn't pulling 240Hz on any game at 4k.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, my 3080ti isn't pulling 240Hz on any game at 4k.
Lol hell no but it literally is right now on my laptop at 1440. (Low 180 dips sometime during fights or big city )

3080 I’m getting 1080 GOAT vibes on this bad boy

it’s a keeper for years

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
What do you guys recommend for 34" 1440p monitors? I was going to do 2x, widescreen would be nice but not a requirement. I just don't keep up with all the latest tech anymore since Hardocp shut down.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What do you guys recommend for 34" 1440p monitors? I was going to do 2x, widescreen would be nice but not a requirement. I just don't keep up with all the latest tech anymore since Hardocp shut down.
34s are 21:9s, two of them is basically unusable in practice unless you are doing racing games or flight sims, in which case you want 3.

32s are only OK in 1440p. There are lots of options and it really comes down to priorities. You need to define your desired uses for a meaningful recommendation.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

I have an Asus TUF that I purchased last year that is used for work and am 100% satisfied with.

Just recently purchased the Alienware for work/gaming and really love it. The Samsung was also highly recommended.

The only thing I would say is that I had the same reaction after purchasing both and that was, "Man, I bet a 37 (or whatever the next step is)" would have been awesome."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I have an Asus TUF that I purchased last year that is used for work and am 100% satisfied with.

Just recently purchased the Alienware for work/gaming and really love it. The Samsung was also highly recommended.

The only thing I would say is that I had the same reaction after purchasing both and that was, "Man, I bet a 37 (or whatever the next step is)" would have been awesome."
As someone with a 38" can confirm.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I have that asus tuf above my lg and next to Alienware. It’s great

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I should have checked this thread I suppose. This is showing up for me today. I did NOT buy the "used same as new" ones for a lot cheaper, because a monitor is something I feel like I want brand new. Did I make a decent choice, or did I fuck up?

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Absolutely love my Alienware AW3420DW
I was looking at the 3423 (OLED model) and ended up going with the 3821 instead. It's not as nice watching video content but I find it more suitable for general purposes with the IPS panel. I assume the 3420 is a very similar IPS panel so definitely worth considering at that price point.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm using an Aorus 43" 4k panel at the minute and just can't go back to something smaller than 38" - why is nobody able to release an OLED, 38" UW 4k monitor. Is that just a weird panel size?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I should have checked this thread I suppose. This is showing up for me today. I did NOT buy the "used same as new" ones for a lot cheaper, because a monitor is something I feel like I want brand new. Did I make a decent choice, or did I fuck up?

It looks decent specs wise but who makes the panel?

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont understand the appeal of curved monitors. I have one at works and find it annoying. How is it for gaming?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I dont understand the appeal of curved monitors. I have one at works and find it annoying. How is it for gaming?
I never wanted one either, but they seem to be pretty common in the UW category and I liked the reviews on this one so I gave it a shot. Using it for the first time last night, I like it. I have never used a flat one this size to compare, but I almost feel like the curve helps with not having to turn my head to see the edges. I could be totally making that up, but since everyone sits directly in front of a monitor I feel like it is fine. I would never buy a big screen TV that was curved because of viewing angles and shit, but a monitor that is smack dab in front of me seems fine.

I'm not gonna say it is better, but it doesn't bother me either, and that was a big concern I had. If you've used one and don't like it then I'm certainly not going to try to convince you. Stick with what you like. If someone handed me a flat monitor just like this one, I'd probably use it just the same too.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You can find them at extreme curvatures (Samsung and others gaming ones) where they can be mounted 3+ to make a ring at close viewing range. This makes them really kind of obnoxious for other uses IMO.

Mine is shallow and really just provides improved viewing angles given the width.

It really depends, they use these for a lot of VA panels (see the 55" Samsung) because they must due to panel traits. Others that are OLED or IPS are just for looks and perspective. I find them pointless on a normal 16:9.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Buying anything that's not OLED at this point feels like fucking up.