Gaming and general purpose monitors

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Your problem is basically 32 inch. It's too big for 1080p monitors, and too small for tv's. That's why you can't really find shit

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
I don't see PS5 running games, if even available, at a very stable 4k/60, so that is why I'd prefer 1080/120. I have a nice 32" 1440p/245 (VA panel, looks great), but the PS5 doesn't look good on it at all, especially compared to my older 32" / 60 TV, but the color on that TV doesn't seem as sharp as it used too be. Dunno if the PS5 will run games at 1080/120 on a 4K TV, if so I'll try for one of those.

1080p doesn't upscale to 1440p very well (unless using FSR,) however it upscales perfectly to 4k, regardless of method. So there's no need to keep a 1080p dinosaur TV around for that.

PS5 games are all made with 4k devices in mind, usually have resolution outputs/target frame rates in the options.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Spent a couple of weeks earlier this year gaming on my older LG OLED at 4k/60 and fell in love. Since then also built a rig with a 5950x/3080ti and so I want to make use of the hardware and run 4k. Due to the house layout, and my oldest daughter deciding it was time to have her own room I lost the use of the OLED, but I want to replace my 34" Ultrawide with a 4k screen.

Should I just be looking at one of the newer OLED's? or are 32" 4k panels coming along pretty well?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Spent a couple of weeks earlier this year gaming on my older LG OLED at 4k/60 and fell in love. Since then also built a rig with a 5950x/3080ti and so I want to make use of the hardware and run 4k. Due to the house layout, and my oldest daughter deciding it was time to have her own room I lost the use of the OLED, but I want to replace my 34" Ultrawide with a 4k screen.

Should I just be looking at one of the newer OLED's? or are 32" 4k panels coming along pretty well?
Gigabyte M32u is a great 4k under $800

the only real downside is it's 32" which is a bit small to really get the most out of 4k (depending on your use case and ergonomics)
My buddy bought it and he's glad he did, but I'd probably hold out for the new LG 42" C2 4k coming out in about a month or so.

it's right in the sweet spot, as 48" is a bit big for most desktop gaming, 32" feels a bit small, and ultrawide is hit and miss for many reasons.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm putting some strong thought into getting the 42" OLED for my main PC and then stacking 2 monitors beside it for my work PC.

Crone

I'm putting some strong thought into getting the 42" OLED for my main PC and then stacking 2 monitors beside it for my work PC.
What mount would you use for the 42"? Does LG get fancy with it and do any kinda VESA plate mounting or just standard TV bolt to the wall mounts?

Crone

Gigabyte M32u is a great 4k under $800

the only real downside is it's 32" which is a bit small to really get the most out of 4k (depending on your use case and ergonomics)
My buddy bought it and he's glad he did, but I'd probably hold out for the new LG 42" C2 4k coming out in about a month or so.

it's right in the sweet spot, as 48" is a bit big for most desktop gaming, 32" feels a bit small, and ultrawide is hit and miss for many reasons.
Doesn't this seem like the better choice? Unless you just can't do 48", which I get, but fuck... $1050 for 48", and it has G-sync with 4k/120hz. I guess if those extra 6" really made it unusable for you on a desk?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
What mount would you use for the 42"? Does LG get fancy with it and do any kinda VESA plate mounting or just standard TV bolt to the wall mounts?
no questions asked, Ergotron HX. super solid on desk or wall. it's like dentist office hardware strong.
1648445482332.png

Doesn't this seem like the better choice? Unless you just can't do 48", which I get, but fuck... $1050 for 48", and it has G-sync with 4k/120hz. I guess if those extra 6" really made it unusable for you on a desk?

My desk is 26" deep, and I can't wall mount in my current position, so my only option is to desk mount, which puts me about 28-32" away from the screen.
My 38" ultrawide is 35" wide and 15.5" tall, and is pretty large and quite bright in my field of view. the LG C1 is an awesome TV/montor, but it's another 7" wide and 10" tall, which actually ends up making me track across the screen significantly, not to mention is just super friggin bright.

I think the 42" C2 is about 1.5" wider and 7" taller than the 38 ultrawide, which just "restores" the missing aspect ratio at the same footprint.

Crone

no questions asked, Ergotron HX. super solid on desk or wall. it's like dentist office hardware strong.
View attachment 405398

My desk is 26" deep, and I can't wall mount in my current position, so my only option is to desk mount, which puts me about 28-32" away from the screen.
My 38" ultrawide is 35" wide and 15.5" tall, and is pretty large and quite bright in my field of view. the LG C1 is an awesome TV/montor, but it's another 7" wide and 10" tall, which actually ends up making me track across the screen significantly, not to mention is just super friggin bright.

I think the 42" C2 is about 1.5" wider and 7" taller than the 38 ultrawide, which just "restores" the missing aspect ratio at the same footprint.
Yea. That makes sense. I suppose if the $400 doesn’t make much difference it’ll be a great fit for a lot of gamers.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Likely no mount if it's just going to be on my desk. Which means it can't go up and down. I don't think you could use the Ergotron mount because the 42" has a 300x200 VESA screw pattern.

Crone

Likely no mount if it's just going to be on my desk. Which means it can't go up and down. I don't think you could use the Ergotron mount because the 42" has a 300x200 VESA screw pattern.
Was just googling and saw the same thing.

I’m still trying to get a hybrid desk going that supports a recliner chair. I think having the screen on an arm would be pretty sweet.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Interesting, I hadn't caught that.
Couldn't you use an adapter plate btwn the arm and the monitor?

VIVO Steel VESA LCD LED TV Mount Adapter Plate Bracket for Screens 32 to 55 inches, Conversion Kit for VESA up to 400x200mm, MOUNT-AD4X2

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Interesting, I hadn't caught that.
Couldn't you use an adapter plate btwn the arm and the monitor?

VIVO Steel VESA LCD LED TV Mount Adapter Plate Bracket for Screens 32 to 55 inches, Conversion Kit for VESA up to 400x200mm, MOUNT-AD4X2
Maybe depending on how it all lines up.

Melicant

If you're looking at budget ultrawides I would go with either of these instead.

I really wanted to try a curved ultrawide, and I ended up getting a Monoprice Dark Matter to try out ( Dark Matter by Monoprice 34in Curved Ultrawide Gaming Monitor - 21:9, 3440x1440p, UWQHD, 165Hz, 1500R, VA - Monoprice.com ). So far this has been a mistake! It is 165hz, but I seem to be really sensitive to black smearing. I can hardly play a game with the monitor. It also has some weird issues like response time (overdrive) being disabled if I have it at 165hz. If I drop down to 144hz I can adjust it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I love the curve, but the smearing is a deal breaker. How much of a difference will I notice not having a curve if I go with a 34" ultrawide IPS flat? I can actually get the HP x34 for $400, which is a 165hz flat IPS (some reports that it has the same panel as the m34wq). Thoughts?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I really wanted to try a curved ultrawide, and I ended up getting a Monoprice Dark Matter to try out ( Dark Matter by Monoprice 34in Curved Ultrawide Gaming Monitor - 21:9, 3440x1440p, UWQHD, 165Hz, 1500R, VA - Monoprice.com ). So far this has been a mistake! It is 165hz, but I seem to be really sensitive to black smearing. I can hardly play a game with the monitor. It also has some weird issues like response time (overdrive) being disabled if I have it at 165hz. If I drop down to 144hz I can adjust it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I love the curve, but the smearing is a deal breaker. How much of a difference will I notice not having a curve if I go with a 34" ultrawide IPS flat? I can actually get the HP x34 for $400, which is a 165hz flat IPS (some reports that it has the same panel as the m34wq). Thoughts?
The general rule for monitors is that if it's not rated on rtings.com or reviewed on tftcentral, don't buy it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Mist QFT.
Don't go off res and expect to find a gem. Follow the advice of the unbiased pros that test these things to high standards

Rtings has a great "best monitors" roundup, including ultrawides.
more $ is not always better, but $399 for a 34" ultrawide should smell like trouble from a mile away.

Crone

My AOC curved ultra wide 1440p I got off Amazon for $400 is amazing! But I’m not sensitive at all to refresh of smearing or anything really. I probably could go back to 1080p 30hz and be like meh that’s fine.