Gaming and general purpose monitors

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Wab for xbox/ps5?

I haven't had any burn in issues with a PS5 and switch hooked up to it, but I'm also careful about leaving it on for any length of time with a static image being displayed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hate to be a pest but is there a way to direct link that app? I'm not seeing it

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
ahh I see, it's windows 11 only - I didn't drink that Koolaid.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I got tired of waiting for a decent glossy-screen 4K monitor somewhere around 32" to hit the market, so fuck you...I'll just YOLO all the things. I built a new PC for the first time in 8+ years and dropped a 42" LG C3 on my desk a couple weeks ago. I was worried that it would be comically large, if not downright uncomfortable for work and other productivity uses, but holy shit - this is the greatest PC upgrade I've ever made. Would recommend highly. Just set aside a healthy budget for a GPU if you're a gamer and expect to push over 8 million pixels smoothly at high settings.

Sorry, kids, college is overrated anyway.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I know this isn't exactly the right thread, but I'm curious if knows if it's possible to set up multiple access points to a single PC. I recently moved to a new house, drew the short straw, and lost my dedicated office. I do work in my bedroom during the week but on the weekends want to game with my kids in the living room. I currently have my desk on casters and can roll it back and forth, but that's a PITA and requires dedicated space in both rooms. Is there any tech suitable for reverse KVM switching to multiple locations in a house to a single PC? Need 1440p support minimum at low latency.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I know this isn't exactly the right thread, but I'm curious if knows if it's possible to set up multiple access points to a single PC. I recently moved to a new house, drew the short straw, and lost my dedicated office. I do work in my bedroom during the week but on the weekends want to game with my kids in the living room. I currently have my desk on casters and can roll it back and forth, but that's a PITA and requires dedicated space in both rooms. Is there any tech suitable for reverse KVM switching to multiple locations in a house to a single PC? Need 1440p support minimum at low latency.
Depending on how far it is and how much you want to crawl up in the attic, you could run a HDMI and USB 3.0 cable from your bedroom to behind the TV. Plug a USB hub into the TV side and then a (wireless) mouse & keyboard into that hub. I have never used a powered USB hub, but maybe it would help too, on a longer run?

If you want to be able to easily disable the feed, without pulling plugs, you could try an inline USB switch and HDMI switch (didn't see any inline ones) sitting next to your computer.

There are many different looks to the wall outlets, from Monoprice's modular design to expensive bendable "joints" (short wires) attached to the plate. For low voltage like USB/HDMI you don't need to put a box behind the outlets.

One example:
2023-09-05 08.05.20 www.google.com ed3ccb6b2ace.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
you could run a HDMI and USB 3.0 cable from your bedroom to behind the TV

I should have mentioned that unless I can figure out how to leave the PC in a central location, the run is ~80 feet. AFAIK that exceeds the HDMI spec for reliable transfer. I know there are repeaters and boosters, but I've not heard good things about the latency introduced.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
  • 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I should have mentioned that unless I can figure out how to leave the PC in a central location, the run is ~80 feet. AFAIK that exceeds the HDMI spec for reliable transfer. I know there are repeaters and boosters, but I've not heard good things about the latency introduced.
Ah yea, a bit of an issue that.

You could try a Fiber Optic HDMI (random Amazon search, no idea of quality). Shit's exspensive, so probably want to get it from a place with good returns and try it out first, before dropping it in a wall. Fiber optics can be a bit fragile and does not take kindly to sharp bends. So probably best to have 90 degree adapter on each wall outlet.

I have used the HDMI over Cat6 converters from Monoprices, but only to send security camera feeds. They worked fine on newer TVs, but an old Plasma TV, that I was going to use, could not read the feed. If you cant find anything on the internet about their response times, you could always test them out and send them back if the response time is too high. Monoprice's return policy isn't terrible and you can get the Cat 6 from them too.

Here is a solution (in comments) if all the games are on Steam:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
Does it have to be a wired connection? You could use a gamepad paired with firestick and moonlight to stream your games from your PC to your tv. In a local network I don't notice any input lag when I use it. Depending on the location of the PC you might be able to just have the gamepads still wirelessly connected to it.

I forget but I think moonlight requires you to have a nvidia card so there's that to consider also.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Eh that seems maybe shitilocks zone. It's not quite enough to replace 3 monitors for driving and flight sims, but large enough to have a lot of functionally useless periphery?