Gender Integration in the Infantry, and how Robots fight Misogyny

Agraza

Registered Hutt

Autonomous units like this and exoskeletons may solve most physical disparity issues in a few decades. I doubt heavy lifting applications will be applicable to stealthier, more individually demanding roles like rangers/seals for some time.

Eventually the machines will be so powerful you'll be more of a technical operator. They could even autonomously stand guard while you sleep or have someone remote them to do the same. One day they might just keep walking while you sleep inside it.

We're not there yet, but mechanized infantry is about to take on a whole other meaning. Once the suits start doing 80% of the work it'll still be a male driven environment though. Women are actually better adapted to the rigors of being fighter pilots due to blood circulation, but it's incredibly rare to find women who have the same level of aggression that men exhibit - a necessary characteristic of fighter pilots. The same will apply to the infantry.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
yeah i get it. gear is heavy so only men can carry it. if it was any lighter people would point and laugh at your 'bitch-rifle'
No, gear is heavy because you have to carry what you need. And there's nothing out there that is magically going to reduce the weight of existing gear by 50%. Infantry rifles are already down around 7-8lbs. They can't get much lighter than that. Plates and ammo are what really weigh you down.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It honestly makes zero fucking difference what calibur the standard rifle is.

Shit you will carry (no exceptions)
1. Rifle
2. 210 rounds of ammunition. This is absolutely bare minimum. You will carry multiple reloads on longer missions.
3. FoodxDay
4. Sensitive items (NVGs etc)
5. Water. Lots of it.
6. Mission materials.
7. First aid shit and torniquet
8. Standard gear (helmet and plates. Easily 50lbs right there)

Things you might carry in infantry platoon:
1. Radio (20lbs)
2. Mortar base plate (30+)
3. Mortar rounds (15+)
4. 7.62 mm bandoliers for 240B (9 lbs each)
5. Extra food
6. Extra water

I could really go on and on here. This is completely standard light infantry equipment that everyone is expected to hump. If you can't. You can't be infantry. Plain and simple.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Getting the military to even update the rifles they have now is like pulling teeth. They aren't going to replace everything with lighter versions (assuming that is even a possibility) for a few women who want to be on the font line, and even if they did...it would take years (at best) to even think about formalizing a plan for the font of the memo asking for insight on new gear.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
We had no women there until the unit relieving us started moving in. This was in early 2008. When they arrived, the BN Commander had to give up his room. As he was the only one who wasn't living with multiple other people in racks packed to the gills and let the 9 women in the relieving unit live there. Then we had to have all kinds of shenanigans to accommodate them. Entire FOB had to completely change operations to deal with 9 people. That is insane to me.
I have ton of anecdotes from back in the '90s when we would train with women cross-attached from support battalions, or have them in the motor pool with us.

Once we were in the field on and off for about two months, and we had 2 female medics attached. They alternated every other week on whose turn it was to have their period. So every Friday one of them would complain that they needed to go back to the rear for the bleeds, pack up their hummer and off they'd go. The E6 medic that finally got pissed and told them to fuck off was a hero to a lot of us, but then they got on the horn to their COC and all hell broke loose. In the end he was told by senior NCO leadership in both units to STFU, and the rest of the time out there they went back to packing up on Fridays, going to the barracks to party all weekend until they finally managed to wander back on Monday sometime. We were out there playing around as OPFOR for other units, and I still remember freezing my balls off lying prone in the wet grass watching a crossroads near us, with one of those chicks on duty with me. Middle of the night, she gets on the radio whispering in a frightened voice that she can hear people sneaking up on her. It was fucking coyotes, you could hear them, you could see them, they were everywhere...FFS they were being loud as fuck that night...but she spent the entire fucking night thinking someone was lowcrawling up to her. (which, admittedly, would have been funny as fuck to have happened)

My biggest issue wasn't the physical strength issues, not really. I was either armor or cav, so we weren't normally humping a ton of shit around (unless you were a scout dismounted or something, I guess). The biggest issue, BY FAR, was that even with relatively few women around almost everyone walked around on eggshells around women because they wielded enormous power. They could bebop down to JAG and drop a dime, and you'd have people's careers fucking ruined in a heartbeat. No one wanted to risk giving a woman an excuse to complain about discrimination, so the pendulum would swing so far in the other direction that people were literally bending over backwards for them.

I met a female E6 once, who was my age. IIRC, she made E6 right at the minimums required for TIS and TIG. This was almost unheard of for men. You'd have a promotion board with 100 slots or whatever, and let's say 200 men and 5 women. Unless there was some glaring issue, those 5 women would get first dibs because IF THEY DIDN'T people were afraid that they would complain that it was due to gender bias or whatever. So this woman, nice enough I guess, walked around like she was hot shit because she was fast tracked for everything. Women would complain that they would have trouble getting promoted past a certain point @ senior NCO/Officer levels (often for combat unit reasons) but I don't remember any women minding that they got promoted super-fucking fast early in their career, either.

Maybe the culture has changed, or will change, I dunno. But if it doesn't, that's just a shitty deal all around. I have no doubt that we'll see full integration someday but I feel for guys that have to deal with the sad-sack women, and I feel for the serious/willing-to-work-harder women who have to deal with the blowback from the guys who have had to deal with the sad-sack women.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
2 deployments with 75th in the past couple years, the idea that an average sized woman could carry the standard loadouts over the course of a typical operation or perform casualty movement techniques under fire to standard is laughably unrealistic

I can't really elaborate further but lets just say I've seen it attempted and it was one of those moments where everyone involved was like "Why did we think this was a good idea?"

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Don't worry, integration will eventually happen. Units will perform significantly worse, lots of people will die as a result, and it'll be men's fault for allowing integration to happen! Diversity in action!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I thought the whole point of basic was to break you down and kill the inviduality you may have had and make a one size fits all soldier so to speak.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I thought the whole point of basic was to break you down and kill the inviduality you may have had and make a one size fits all soldier so to speak.
Because it's not about making atruecontribution to a "traditionally" male institution or endeavor, but rather a goal of being "the first woman to do it too".

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah a ton of ancillary jobs. The issue is for nonstop combat operators being women. Sure they can jump in and out of events and be available but not embedded full time.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
We've had women able to be infantry for decades in the Canadian Forces. Result? There's one women in every other company at most. The large majority who try to get in the trade either wash out of the course due to injuries or just say fuck this shit once they realize what they got themselves into then either get out of the Forces or re-muster.

The whole ordeal in the states has the same smell as the whole SJW microagressions : oh I bet this offends someone somewhere so we should do something about it. Completely made up issue.

Fast forward twenty years from now and the gender make up in the Marines will be virtually the same as now even tho women can join. Those bonkers enough to sign will go the fuck home as soon as they realize how much infantry sucks when you're in the field.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Those bonkers enough to sign will go the fuck home as soon as they realize how much infantry sucks when you're in the field.
Oh, of course. That isn't in question at all. I think anyone who possesses any sort of reasonableness or critical thinking realizes this is theinevitableoutcome. What is at stake is the gigantic fucking cost of to an already hyper-inflated institution (the military) to get to that inevitable outcome. All so SJWs and their ilk can engage in mental masturbation about "making a difference".

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why can't men join the WNBA? As long as they are too short, not fast enough, whatever? Allow nondunkers with good fundamentals.