General Gaming News and Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe they wanted Bungie to bring in more experienced crossplatform developers.

Destiny 2 is a perfect example of a game that runs very well on literally everything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So Microsoft buys some of the most valuable IPs in video game history and Sony counters by buying a company that literally hasn't released anything but Destiny in the last 12 years?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So Microsoft buys some of the most valuable IPs in video game history and Sony counters by buying a company that literally hasn't released anything but Destiny in the last 12 years?
Bungie was 1/20th the pricetag and probably has way more active development talent.

ActiBliz has the the people working on COD and the lifeless husk that is Blizzard.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Yeah the game itself sucks. Most of the people there are not good anymore either and Destiny’s business model is pure shit. I would guess it’s for engine tech as others have stated. Bungie is Biowared at this point but they do have good development tools to use for a lot of future games in the multiplayer space / cross gen.

If I had to guess, it’s probably a defensive measure.

They are working on a new IP but rumor has it 2025-2026. Sounds like a launch title for ps6 now. Ha.

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Just saying, this seems pretty minor in the grand scheme of things and you'd imagine they could get high level talent for a lot less than 3.6 billion

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Destiny 2 has probably made somewhere between 1.5 and 2 billion dollars over the last 5 years. Yall can trash talk it all you want but it's popular and profitable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Just saying, this seems pretty minor in the grand scheme of things and you'd imagine they could get high level talent for a lot less than 3.6 billion
Destiny is a pretty strong IP, Bungie has good brand recognition, and I think you're underrating the talent. They have a performant game engine that looks good, plays well and still runs on a potato. It's also got a profitable cash shop model.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I always want Destiny 2 to be the multiplayer game you always go back to with buddies and clear out content or run some raids but every time I look at getting caught up the shit is just stupid. No cheap way to get into any of it, and I read up on what there is to do and what's good to do for catching up gear, etc, and it's all stupid bull shit. But as said, the engine and game runs so well and still looks great that I keep coming back hoping things have changed.

• 1Truth!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its funny to me how Bungie got rid of its deal with Activision/Blizzard (which IMO had the best content of its day since 2 Activision studios were working on Destiny 2) only to be bought out by Sony. LOOOL It took them a good year or more to recover from going Self published again in which a major content drought happened. Only now they are goetting back on their feet again with Destiny 2 but to me its all tired. Same formulaic seasonal content with a semi bigger expansion once a year. Thing I cant stand about Destiny 2 is everything is throttled by weekly shit. You can only do so much and then wait for next week.

• 1Truth!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Its funny to me how Bungie got rid of its deal with Activision/Blizzard (which IMO had the best content of its day since 2 Activision studios were working on Destiny 2) only to be bought out by Sony. LOOOL It took them a good year or more to recover from going Self published again in which a major content drought happened. Only now they are goetting back on their feet again with Destiny 2 but to me its all tired. Same formulaic seasonal content with a semi bigger expansion once a year. Thing I cant stand about Destiny 2 is everything is throttled by weekly shit. You can only do so much and then wait for next week.

Game has been on content drought since Forsaken, and now they're going to pull that expansion due to storage issues on console. It was their best content too, it's sad what's become of that game.

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Destiny 2 has probably made somewhere between 1.5 and 2 billion dollars over the last 5 years. Yall can trash talk it all you want but it's popular and profitable.

This is a big part of it. Sony doesn't have a lot of franchises generating recurring revenue like this, GaaS. Destiny brings them this and the experienced team to help enable it to other franchises.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
no surprise

Worth mentioning, Bloomberg is basing this on a tweet from someone at WB listing upcoming games, which happened to not include Suicide Squad.

May still be true, but it's not exactly the hardest evidence.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I sure as fuck am not going to buy GTA again. But its good news to know theyre finally developing a new one.

Araxen

It's crazy at how long it's taking them to release GTA VI. It's been almost two console generations since GTA V. The game is going to be massive.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I sure as fuck am not going to buy GTA again. But its good news to know theyre finally developing a new one.
It’s a free upgrade if you already own it though?

edit: please tell me you don’t have to pay for that shit

Daidraco

It’s a free upgrade if you already own it though?

edit: please tell me you don’t have to pay for that shit
Oh if its free, then idc. Ill play it with you. But if not, fuck that shit, Im out ~