General Gaming News and Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
MS increasing the publisher's share on MS Store for PC games from 70% to 88%.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob

EA and Ubisoft both had earnings announcements this week and both basically said a bigger chunk of their sales are coming from MTX from f2p games.

Not a great sign if you are into single player AAA games, probably great if you love f2p games expect a lot more skinz and battle passes and games built around them

• 2Barf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

EA and Ubisoft both had earnings announcements this week and both basically said a bigger chunk of their sales are coming from MTX from f2p games.

Not a great sign if you are into single player AAA games, probably great if you love f2p games expect a lot more skinz and battle passes and games built around them
Probably not a big deal since overall pie is growing at such a rapid rate. So there should still be around the same number of AAA games a year even if their slice of the overall growing pie is smaller.

A lot of these annual releases can be shifted to a F2P model and no one will care.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I just pay for Ubisoft+ and EA Play Pro and as long as I hit on a few games a year they're all essentially free to play for me already. Ubi+ is the only one I fair-weather sub to, don't have time for all their games and it's one of the pricier subs. Really nice that it's available on multiple services (like Luna).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Fine with me. Let the whales fund these faggot companies. I'll still clap on kids with my basic ass white girl skins.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Fine with me. Let the whales fund these faggot companies. I'll still clap on kids with my basic ass white girl skins.
it's not just going to be about cosmetic pets and skins. it's going to be battle passes required for any meaningful progression, gacha's for characters that aren't complete trash, stash tabs like PoE's system where you basically can't do jack shit without them, companions/pets that have game altering bonuses like auto-loot pickup, and other pay-to-make-the-game-not-feel-like-hot-garbage schemes.

Once they get rid of the regular pay for a complete game model, you won't have any other choices to fall back on, they will just make you choose which game you want to pay for this month.

As an added bonus for them, the above schemes make piracy and used game sales impossible too. 10 birds with one stone.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it sucks but lets face it, were all to blame for this shit because we keep playing and buying. We had a chance to stop this shit years ago and vote with our wallets, but we didnt and now the industry is sucking us dry.

BTW I dont mind paying for a battle pass or some other minor $10-15 shit here and there for a game I truly enjoy. But, yeah, this shit can get out of hand really quick like you see with some of the asian games. I mean take PoE for example, its essentially stash tabs you pay once for and you're done for may leagues. See that type of shit I dont mind, after all it is a free game. But take a game like Genshin and the gacha shit is fucking crazy. PvE game and all that and you can earn shit just by playing, but all the cool shit is hid behind some crazy ass RNG one arm bandit and hundreds of dollars, if not thousands for the whales. I quit that shit right away when I saw myself reaching for my card and thank god I stopped myself. That shit is downright predatory and should be IMO illegal. Some people just cannot stop themselves.

I think its high time our law makers step in and put some kind of limits on this shit, especially the RNG gambling shit. Its one thing to pay for something you know youre gonna get. Its an entirely different thing to pay for a 0.1% chance to maybe get something.

Genshin crossed the $1 billion profit in just 6 months. And thats just mobile, no one knows how much really they made because its on PS4 and PC too. Thats a ridiculous amount of swindle there.

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah it sucks but lets face it, were all to blame for this shit because we keep playing and buying. We had a chance to stop this shit years ago and vote with our wallets, but we didnt and now the industry is sucking us dry.

BTW I dont mind paying for a battle pass or some other minor $10-15 shit here and there for a game I truly enjoy. But, yeah, this shit can get out of hand really quick like you see with some of the asian games. I mean take PoE for example, its essentially stash tabs you pay once for and you're done for may leagues. See that type of shit I dont mind, after all it is a free game. But take a game like Genshin and the gacha shit is fucking crazy. PvE game and all that and you can earn shit just by playing, but all the cool shit is hid behind some crazy ass RNG one arm bandit and hundreds of dollars, if not thousands for the whales. I quit that shit right away when I saw myself reaching for my card and thank god I stopped myself. That shit is downright predatory and should be IMO illegal. Some people just cannot stop themselves.

I think its high time our law makers step in and put some kind of limits on this shit, especially the RNG gambling shit. Its one thing to pay for something you know youre gonna get. Its an entirely different thing to pay for a 0.1% chance to maybe get something.

Genshin crossed the $1 billion profit in just 6 months. And thats just mobile, no one knows how much really they made because its on PS4 and PC too. Thats a ridiculous amount of swindle there.
Genshin is a genuinely good game actually.

The gatcha waifu part of it is voluntary, you can do everything with whatever characters you do pull.

I just paid for a battle pass thing twice, which is for character upgrades. But I was able to get a top teir new character (Hu Tao) just by saving up free premium currency.

I do agree that gatcha is cancer though.

• 1Pathetic

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Most of the big sports games are long, boring, intentionally frustrating grinds designed to punish you into paying to power level your character. That kind of graft almost works for me in an RPG where there is an expectation of building a character. But sports? My character is a top prospect, 18 years old, a top athlete, but has trouble with basic things like running? Nah. Fuck you. Not going to pay so my character unlocks his own legs. Can't even play the solo career modes anymore without being forced onto to pay to win treadmill. But fucktards pay for it.

Would love to see an analysis how much gubmint checks and stimmy bucks are going directly into the pockets of the predatory gaming industry.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Most of the big sports games are long, boring, intentionally frustrating grinds designed to punish you into paying to power level your character. That kind of graft almost works for me in an RPG where there is an expectation of building a character. But sports? My character is a top prospect, 18 years old, a top athlete, but has trouble with basic things like running? Nah. Fuck you. Not going to pay so my character unlocks his own legs. Can't even play the solo career modes anymore without being forced onto to pay to win treadmill. But fucktards pay for it.

Would love to see an analysis how much gubmint checks and stimmy bucks are going directly into the pockets of the predatory gaming industry.
I had no idea...wow fuck these guys. I would expect that maybe from those coach sims but we talking Madden and such? Insane. Some of the best times I have had playing football games was early madden on genesis and NFL gameday(I think) on the PS1.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

Don't you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby, I don't support any of that shit. I always buy the bare bones versions of games and never buy loot boxes. The only exception was GW2 and I didn't spend much.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

I started playing MLB The Show 21 a few weeks back when it came out. It was the first sports game I've played in 5+ years. I knew there were mtx but I didn't realize how tied into most of the game modes they were.

I only played "The Road to the Show" game mode and I didn't find it too bad, you can fairly easily avoid it as playing the game rewards you with packs, equipment and perks to improve your player.

I found the game fairly generous with the rewards to be honest.

I spent 1 season in Double A, 1 in Triple A before making it to the Majors after maybe 20-30 games in Triple A in my 3rd season. I played 3 seasons in the Majors now and I am at 99 Overall stats without spending any money on packs. That said, since I don't care about any other mode I sold all the cards I get to buy stuff for my ballplayer on the marketplace. A Diamond player card can get you anywhere from 50k to a 150k of their in-game currency, and Diamond Perks cost about 10K each and you need 4...so was easy to get them. You also earn them from playing, think I have 10 or so total now.

While not a surprise, it's sad to see gaming overall going this direction. When the focus becomes about how to design a game in a way to be able to have mtx it seems to always take something from the game itself.

Sadly in my quest for glory in The Show 21, I made it to the World Series and the game bugged and won't start the matches. I can sim through them, and play matches in the next season but for some reason it won't start a World Series match. I gave up until that's patched.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i used to only play western games but started playing japanese games more and more and now almost 90% of my games are jrpgs and shit. i figure thats good for at least 10 years, then i've got the whole indie scene to tackle if the japs turn to shit (unlikely, asians are way more racist and sexist than white people can ever be). Also now there is a constant remastering of old ass games so i've still got more shit to play than time.

TV and movies is a bummer though, anime is ok but I miss new shows like Spartacus, Black Sails, Game of Thrones season 1, etc. You never see titties and fine ass naked bitches on new shows anymore, its all dongs and fatties

sorta like airplane travels in the mid 2000s, all American flight attendants grew old and ugly but at least the rest of the world only employs hotties. not sure about Europe tho

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
i used to only play western games but started playing japanese games more and more and now almost 90% of my games are jrpgs and shit. i figure thats good for at least 10 years, then i've got the whole indie scene to tackle if the japs turn to shit (unlikely, asians are way more racist and sexist than white people can ever be). Also now there is a constant remastering of old ass games so i've still got more shit to play than time.

TV and movies is a bummer though, anime is ok but I miss new shows like Spartacus, Black Sails, Game of Thrones season 1, etc. You never see titties and fine ass naked bitches on new shows anymore, its all dongs and fatties

sorta like airplane travels in the mid 2000s, all American flight attendants grew old and ugly but at least the rest of the world only employs hotties. not sure about Europe tho
I like how Asians are like, "You can't have sexy women in games anymore? Here's 100 RPGs all about collecting sexy waifus".

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
2k has been like that for a number of years, VC required for everything and it's super egregious. The Show has inched closer to that, and has had a more amenable approach as you earn the currency in most modes, driving you towards Diamond Dynasty. Madden has kept their Ultimate Team and Franchise largely separate, the be a player mode also doesn't have the mtx built into it. The downside to that is as MUT has gotten a lot of development effort and evolution, the other modes have stagnated. After a bit of outcry this year that may be on the path to changing, we'll see.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Apex Legends' battle pass is actually one of the best I've seen. It costs like $10 for the initial season pass, but if you level all the way to "max" during the season, you earn enough coins to pay for next seasons pass. So, if you play enough/are good enough, you can perpetually earn each season's pass.

• 3Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Call of Duty is/was the same. I'm pretty okay with that form of battle pass. I still have the same 10$ I spent on season 1 modern welfare battlepass, only ever spend it if I complete the battle pass rofl. Apex, honestly.. I don't even know where I got the 20$.. I think I bought EA Pass one year, and it gave you the Apex battlepass in season 1 and 2?

But either way, unfortunate I don't even really play these games to complete the battlepass, but still have the option if I wanted to. Was pretty pissed about Valorant's battlepass, you get an alternative currency used to unlock tiers of a skin.. And for the longest time, up to season 3 or 4? None of the skins in the battlepass had access to those unlocks, only purchased skins. Scummy shit.