General Gaming News and Discussion

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Microsoft is buying activision. Microsoft is saying in public they will keep CoD on PlayStation, don’t worry. They’re actually privately offering to keep CoD on PlayStation for only three years. Sony saying this is monopoly behavior.

So Sony's being a bunch of pussies

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Well Sony should retaliate by making an FPS that is better than CoD. It can't be fucking hard. CoD fucking sucks. They have 3 years to get to work.
Sony made some kinda rumbling a month or more ago that basically said it was basically impossible for anyone to compete with cod. Really has nothing to do with making a better game or not. Cod bros are a captured audience of income that is massive. Even if you could make a substantially better game- with bungie?? It would probably take close to a decade to gain anywhere near the traction.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Madden is also a shit tier franchise. Fucking casuals.

*logs into mmo and queues the local random dungeon finder*

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
APEX stole most of the COD bros in the last few years, that and Fortnite are the big dogs now.

i'm a COD bro, from 2015-2020 i bought the $100 digital deluxe gold plated platinum pussy edition of the game every year cuz i'd play with my brother and some relatives.

timing is everything, COD stumbled HARD with back to back shit years of black ops whatever and the abomination of WW2 (again), i jumped off that train. Last year was the perfect time to put in some new blood and competition, and APEX swept in and scooped a LOT of people. Halo Infinite sucked in MP, Battlefield 2042 was a joke, Destiny from the outside now looks like a fucking job not a game, i just switched to playing random ass JRPGs and shit.

COD this year looks pretty good so far and i'll probably hop back in (beta next weekend), it'll take another year or two of fuckups by COD to lose the CODBros again.

The thing about COD (and fortnite) is it gives something to everyone. You only like sitting in a dark room alone killing shit? You got zombies mode. You only like being a bitch ass sniper who kills people and ignores objectives? They got you. You only want to group up with 2 friends and play warzone? Ok. Solo warzone? Ok. competitive ranked multiplayer, solo or with friends? They got you. Short story campaign? ok. And you're always progressing in some small way in all these games.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Microsoft is under no obligation to bring anything to PlayStation.

Sony having the balls to say "Only 3 years of something you don't have to do at all? Fuck you" is such ridiculous hubris.

Sony's been so anti-consumer against their own playerbase this cycle that I'm surprised they're not getting more shit for it

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Microsoft is under no obligation to bring anything to PlayStation.

Sony having the balls to say "Only 3 years of something you don't have to do at all? Fuck you" is such ridiculous hubris.

Sony's been so anti-consumer against their own playerbase this cycle that I'm surprised they're not getting more shit for it

As it pertains to this board, at least, my belief is the anti-consumer expectation was baked in. There were early reports that kicked it off and few people have any confidence that any company these days dare learn from their success. It was obvious Sony learned nothing about why the previous generation succeeded or why their standing ovation at E3 worked so well for something as straightforward as sharing a game. Right back to predatory anti-consumer practices before you can even blink.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ironic, that Sony would cry foul about CoD becoming an exclusive, when they destroyed Xbox last generation because of their exclusives. When you pay to develop or purchase the IP, it seems irresponsible not to go exclusive to your platform with it. This is business, not some 6 year old's soccer league where everyone gets participation trophies.

Sony Exclusives
  • Last of Us series
  • God of War series
  • Horizon Zero Dawn series
  • Marvel's Spider Man
  • Bloodborne
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Uncharted series
  • Persona series
  • inFamous series

spronk

FPS noob
no date, but Amy Hennig (uncharted OG director) making a new Marvel game based on Captain America + Black Panther in WW2, i think its based off a comic series

marvel suns also got a dec 5th release date, i think its basically X-Com w/ a marvel skin but dunno, trailers always looked a little iffy

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
marvel suns also got a dec 5th release date, i think its basically X-Com w/ a marvel skin but dunno, trailers always looked a little iffy
Multiple delays and a big chunk of the X-Com team left Firaxis to form their own studio. Midnight Suns is 100% a "wait and see" title.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ironic, that Sony would cry foul about CoD becoming an exclusive, when they destroyed Xbox last generation because of their exclusives. When you pay to develop or purchase the IP, it seems irresponsible not to go exclusive to your platform with it. This is business, not some 6 year old's soccer league where everyone gets participation trophies.

Sony Exclusives
  • Last of Us series
  • God of War series
  • Marvel's Spider Man
  • Bloodborne
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Uncharted series
  • Persona series
  • inFamous series
To be fair, it would be very stupid of Microsoft to not put CoD:Warzone, or any other micro-transaction based CoD game, on Playstation.

You don't make money selling consoles. You generally lose money.

Meanwhile, the more platforms your F2P microtransaction game is on, the more money you make.

Most exclusives are flagship titles that aren't designed to be microtransaction bullshit-fests.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
CoD, like it or not, is a system seller. Its the type of game that a lot of gamers play and might not even venture out into other games on your platform.

So, if MS goes Xbox exclusive on it, those CoD fangays have to buy an Xbox, they get trapped in your MS/Xbox domain. You get 100% of their microtransaction money, their battle pass money, the year $60 updates, and aren't paying out % cuts to your direct competitor.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
no date, but Amy Hennig (uncharted OG director) making a new Marvel game based on Captain America + Black Panther in WW2, i think its based off a comic series

Weird choice to add a couple extra randos in there. Hopefully they'll have the presence of mind to have most of the playtime devoted to Cap and Panther.

But hey, if Amy "Legacy of Kain" Hennig wants to make a Marvel game, I'm not going to turn my nose up at it.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
To be fair, it would be very stupid of Microsoft to not put CoD:Warzone, or any other micro-transaction based CoD game, on Playstation.

You don't make money selling consoles. You generally lose money.

Meanwhile, the more platforms your F2P microtransaction game is on, the more money you make.

Most exclusives are flagship titles that aren't designed to be microtransaction bullshit-fests.
The decision will have nothing to do with selling consoles, and everything to do with how many PS fanboys you can get to sub to game Pass, be it for console or PC. They want to grow that recurring revenue stream, period.

If I were them I'd consider just having a exclusive window for pc / Xbox. You probably get a lot of hard core CoD fans to jump over that way, and still end up getting a lot of additional revenue from PS fans who would never switch.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

Sony Exclusives
  • Last of Us series
  • God of War series
  • Marvel's Spider Man
  • Bloodborne
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Uncharted series
  • Persona series
  • inFamous series

I believe the issue isn't exclusivity on its own, its the making of something exclusive via corporate consolidation being anti-competitive, would be sony's argument. The games you listed, while sony exclusive, were all either made by sony, or always exclusive to sony. I dont think anything on that list was purchased by sony and removed from other platforms.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Persona thing is kind of out the window now, I'm sure Sony will pay for exclusivity for the games up front, but SEGA and Atlus own the IP rights for the series.. I think Atlus only gets the other language rights sense they do a lot of the translation work for the SMT games.

I'd just say okay 3 years too develop a new IP, seeing as they already have a engine that could easily handle it.. I don't see the big deal ?

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I believe the issue isn't exclusivity on its own, its the making of something exclusive via corporate consolidation being anti-competitive, would be sony's argument. The games you listed, while sony exclusive, were all either made by sony, or always exclusive to sony. I dont think anything on that list was purchased by sony and removed from other platforms.

The issue is Sony throwing a temper tantrum and removing it themselves because they're out of touch with reality.

3 years they didn't have to give you is an insult? So is Microsoft just supposed to make Sony's games for them in perpetuity?

joz123

Potato del Grande
I really wouldn't care if PS5 has no FPS games on it, let MS have them. Unless Sony makes more Killzones or remakes Singularity.

• 1Barf