General Gaming News and Discussion

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
New Unreal Engine advertisement is weird

Unity basically adding a fee for every installation of a game that uses the engine, to be paid by the devs, retroactively(only once certain tresholds are met still, so only tax successful users). Some devs already talking about switching engines. Announcement went as well as you'd expect, they've already had to adress some concerns in a follow up announcement. Reddit thread has an interesting bit about the CEO having constantly been selling shares for the past year, probably just a coincidence though.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I noticed spam from them had ramped up in the past few years. That's usually a sign that dumbass marketing types are taking over.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider

Unity basically adding a fee for every installation of a game that uses the engine, to be paid by the devs, retroactively(only once certain tresholds are met still, so only tax successful users). Some devs already talking about switching engines. Announcement went as well as you'd expect, they've already had to adress some concerns in a follow up announcement. Reddit thread has an interesting bit about the CEO having constantly been selling shares for the past year, probably just a coincidence though.
The CEO was apparently also the CEO of EA during their scummiest period, which explains a lot of things.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

This FAQ is the most tone-def PR attempt I can remember. This pricing scheme is the worst I've ever heard of. It'd be like selling a carpenter a hammer and charging him everytime someone sits in a chair they make.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

This FAQ is the most tone-def PR attempt I can remember. This pricing scheme is the worst I've ever heard of. It'd be like selling a carpenter a hammer and charging him everytime someone sits in a chair they make.

Interesting:
Also we believe that an initial install-based fee allows creators to keep the ongoing financial gains from player engagement, unlike a revenue share.
It looks like they want to force all F2P games into a B2P model, in order to get those fees.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
CEO having constantly been selling shares for the past year, probably just a coincidence though.
Accept Season 4 GIF by Billions

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Interesting:

It looks like they want to force all F2P games into a B2P model, in order to get those fees.
Yep.

This guy has a F2p game with 100 million yearly downloads and a net revenue of 1 million USD, this rule would take 108% of his revenue.

• 4Worf
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
It took Steve's video for LTT to get off his ass to do anything about it. What a fucking Canadian clown.

At this point you could just say "Canadian" the clown part is just implied.

• 1Worf

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Reading that thread is interesting, and I am only on page 2 atm...

Control Control posted a good deal of info about this Unity thing in Game Dev thread in grown up forum too.

It looks like there wont be any retroactive charges, so they will avoid some lawsuits there. They are just going to count all revenue acquired (edit: for 12 months) before 1JAN2024 when looking at what threshold you meet going forward.

So, on the Unity Personal/Plus plan, with the lowest up front cost (there are 3 plans, with varying levels of complexity), if your company has made $200,000+ on a Unity based game by December 2023 in 2023, come January, you will start to owe $0.15 PER install, that are installed after Jan 1, 2024. Did you make $200k or more on your Unity based game five...six...ten years ago? Well now Unity is going to start billing you every time your users reinstall the game in 2024 and beyond. Edit: Unity will only look at money made for the previous 12 months when figuring how much you currently owe per install (and reinstall? It sounds like even the sales/marketing people don't know yet, on reinstalls). They also have the qualifier of 200,000 installs over the life of the game, possibly including demos and such.

Also this: Mobile games are fine, until they hit $200k, then they go out of business... but I am having a difficult time having much sympathy for them, since they have a rep of being highly predatory themselves.
2023-09-13 13.37.22 forum.unity.com 703194f14fe1.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also this: Mobile games are fine, until they hit $200k, then they go out of business... but I am having a difficult time having much sympathy for them, since they have a rep of being highly predatory themselves.
View attachment 490482
I have sympathy for them because the mobile games that are least predatory are most impacted. This encourages mobile game devs to increase their $/install even if it decreases the number of installs (aka users). So they are motivating more ads and ingame purchases even if it drops the total users.

If you're running a non-predatory mobile game and have aspirations of being serious, Unity isn't the engine for you.

• 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Reading that thread is interesting, and I am only on page 2 atm...

Control Control posted a good deal of info about this Unity thing in Game Dev thread in grown up forum too.

It looks like there wont be any retroactive charges, so they will avoid some lawsuits there. They are just going to count all revenue acquired before 1JAN2024 when looking at what threshold you meet going forward.

So, on the Unity Personal/Plus plan, with the lowest up front cost (there are 3 plans, with varying levels of complexity), if your company has made $200,000 on a Unity based game by December 2023, come January, you will start to owe $0.15 PER install, that are installed after Jan 1, 2024. Did you make $200k or more on your Unity based game five...six...ten years ago? Well now Unity is going to start billing you every time your users reinstall the game in 2024 and beyond.

View attachment 490482
No retroactive charges, but attempting to retroactively enforce changes the TOS on a piece of software that you've already downloaded and developed a product in isn't really any better (especially when some of those versions specifically included provisions that excluded that possibility... can't imagine this actually goes into effect, but this is so fucked up already, why the hell not).

• 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have sympathy for them because the mobile games that are least predatory are most impacted. This encourages mobile game devs to increase their $/install even if it decreases the number of installs (aka users). So they are motivating more ads and ingame purchases even if it drops the total users.

If you're running a non-predatory mobile game and have aspirations of being serious, Unity isn't the engine for you.
And god forbid you have a free game that mostly runs on donations or pay-what-you-want

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Seems certain, Unity has shot themselves in the head for new customers. Feel for those stuck on it at this point.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Did you see if they are changing the upfront costs of the various plans? I saw one person saying he was paying $400 for Unity Plus, just to remove Unity's splash screen and add his companies logo, but under this new plan he will have to pay $2040 for that same functionality, in addition to the per/install costs. Is that just because they are getting rid of Unity Plus, and moving to 3 plans?

I found their current prices online listed as:
2023-09-13 14.48.18 www.trustradius.com 64094940155b.png