Genshin Impact

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm down to 2000 mora, hah. All my resin is just going to have to go towards Ley Lines. I have spread around resources WAY too much as a result in just testing things out. But yeah, that is a part of the biggest drawback. There just aren't enough resources for me to grind all the stuff I want to grind. Even if it is "free" mora from world drops (mobs, random events, chests), mats from the same things, and then the need to spend resin for other stuff.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I definitely don't agree with the people on YouTube saying to not complete the AR36 challenge so you stay at a lower WL. That's just such a waste even if the new content does make it easy to rank up again.

The most frustrating thing about the game for me is that you simply cannot level up all your characters. Even getting 8 to the point of doing abyss is retarded and requires choosing which ones can stop at 20 or maybe 40 just so you can swap to them long enough to use one ability and hope you don't get hit and one-shot during that brief window. Weapons aren't any better either--I mistakenly put a lot of resources into Rust when I should have only focused on Sacrificial Bow and Favonius Warbow and now I can't afford to correct that fuck-up by leveling the warbow up for Venti.

Yeah for sure.

I have 2 - 70s, 4 - 60s, 4 - 50s, 2 - 40s both for weapons/chars w/ all talents capped. Only two chars are wearing "decent" artifact gear. The rest are all just +0 for set bonus. I farm nothing but gold leylines pretty much now and def used a bunch of my glitter on the shop mora =O

What sucks is the thought of getting a new char or 5 star weapon makes me so hesitant in upgrading anything else. My prototype claymore is +3 refine and max level and is really great, but if I got a wolfs gravestone I would probably just be pissed.

Outside of floor 7 the tower hasn't been much issue. I definitely see/feel the difference when I shuffle comps around and "git gud", but I doubt I'll clear 12 until I hit the next tier.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Hah speaking of - Used 3 single rolls and got back to back to back 4 star claymore, 4 star claymore and then my second aquila favonia.

Now I don't want to relevel another one, but refining it would feel really bad.

asdfadsdsad.png

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I guess I need to see if the new chars are going to use swords. I'd slap a puppy for a keqing but until they change resin I am standing strong on not spending.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Haven't gotten through only half this thread but told the wife about this. She wants to play it on ps4, while I play on mobile or PC. Will watch some of those beginning tips videos while it downloads.

She loved Breath of the Wild so I have high hopes.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Better to play PC/Mobile so you can reroll if you get shit at the start.

Even if you're going to spend some $$ it's better to get a head start with a 5 star or a couple of chars.

PS4 you are one and done.

Vorph

PC is the only way to go imo.

PS4 has performance issues and there's no cross-save to PC or mobile (cross-play still works though) because the Genshin account is locked to the PSN account. This also means you cannot reroll.

Mobile has controls that are so bad I have no idea how anyone plays it past the first few levels. No gamepad support whatsoever, it's all touch. Performance also varies massively depending on your phone's cpu, and overheating is a problem pretty much across the board from what I've heard.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is also ne of my biggest faults with the game, getting new characters only to have to sit and basically un-usable for a long time. My roster & weapons... so much wasted resources:
roster.jpg

weapons.jpg

Getting them all to lvl80 will take soooooo long.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have GI on my PS4 Pro, and it barely hits 30, pretty much unplayable for me. I'll probably spend a day or so to get AR20 for the free Barb, but then its just going to sit there until I get a PS5. Hopefully it'll run better.

For newer players, definately reroll until you get a good 5*, use this mihoyo site for making Usernames (no need for an email):

Username Setup

Then use this AR7 guide:

AR7 Guide

Run that a few times and you'll have it memorized. When you get a good set of characters, and like the game, I would start off with the Blessing of Welkin and Battle Pass (the benefit of the BP become very apparent later in the game). Though, only get the BP if you plan on playing consistently for the month, otherwise you might not "finish" it before it ends. You can upgrade it to get 10 lvls if you want, and can also spend gems on buying levels, I think each level is like 120 gems (not worth it, imo). Also, the first purchase you make of gems from the shop will give you double the amount.

Once you start playing, concentrate of upgrading 2 characters (the 2 strongest, able to be the dps for a team). Be stingy on spending your resources, ask questions!

Vorph

It was barely possible to complete the battle pass even when I hit AR20 last Monday. The new event added some points if you manage to complete all those tasks (good luck if starting a new account today) but otherwise I think it's impossible to hit 50 without using extra resin and paying the extra $10 to unlock 10 levels.

That is also ne of my biggest faults with the game, getting new characters only to have to sit and basically un-usable for a long time. My roster & weapons... so much wasted resources:

Getting them all to lvl80 will take soooooo long.
Heh, at least I'm not the only one who chose the wrong bow for Venti. :D

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I think Rust is more suited for Fischl or Amber. I'll be upgrading the Favonis Warbow at some point.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I will never spend a penny on this game, but it has been a fun time waster. I was originally planning on making sure I hit 20 in time to get Barbara, but ended up getting her while trying to get Venti when I was 17ish. Whoever designed that Dvalin fight is a serious asshole. I lost the first time because the controls were WTF.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I will never spend a penny on this game, but it has been a fun time waster. I was originally planning on making sure I hit 20 in time to get Barbara, but ended up getting her while trying to get Venti when I was 17ish. Whoever designed that Dvalin fight is a serious asshole. I lost the first time because the controls were WTF.
I actually had more trouble with the WL challenge than the dvalin fight... but I'm pretty used to using Venti and charging his elemental attack gives you an avoidance for like 50% of the dvalin fight.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I've bought the 5 dollar thing, the 10 dollar battle pass and got the 20? dollar gem thing. In terms of time played, I've certainly spent more on games.

However, at AR 35, I don't really have much else to do except the abyss and grind for materials. I get one more quest at 36, but think that's it. Rarely find chests anymore. Other than getting Mona 2x and Venti, I don't have any other 5* items except the one I got for doing all geo nodes.

Team I've used basically 100% of the game is Main char, Xianling, Feichl and Mona. I have Feichl to 70 and will get Mona to 70, but would like to swap out main char and Xian. Thinking Razor and would love the frost healer. Nearly all my other characters are level 1, and not sure how I would ever level a team 2 without an immense grind. I can't even upgrade the ones I have. I don't really have good weapons for anyone either, so sceptical of upgrading them past 60. Xianling is still using a blue spear. Feichl is using the 4* bow you get from the main quest story, same for the sword for the main char, and Mona is using the 4* crafted book (refined to x3).

Been a fun game, but not going to spend more money on it, and with the slow speed of getting upgrade materials, the motivation to log in isn't that high anymore. Doing the 4x daily quests and spending all the resin takes about 20 minutes. And even getting lucky now and getting a new character just means a very long grind to get them viable.

Crone

Does this play better with a controller on PC/mobile? Or not really? Is there any type of aiming mechanics that a mouse/kb would be superior?

And how hamstrung will I be, if I'm just putzing around the world with the wife in Coop mode, and not super focused on min/max parties, etc? The game still works out ok for exploration and stuff?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Either works. I usually would play w/ controller for these types of games, but between the two I find I like kb/m more.

You don't get coop until like AR13 or AR16 I think. You also don't get to open chests in others peoples worlds and that is a pretty good amount of stuff you would miss out to upgrade and level your characters along the way.

Once you hit the AR35 wall dailies & exploration are about the only thing to do so if that's your jam there is plenty of it.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Does this play better with a controller on PC/mobile? Or not really? Is there any type of aiming mechanics that a mouse/kb would be superior?

And how hamstrung will I be, if I'm just putzing around the world with the wife in Coop mode, and not super focused on min/max parties, etc? The game still works out ok for exploration and stuff?

Controller over KB/M for me, hands down. If you have a mouse with additional mappable buttons, that could work for you as well. Note that the controller bindings on PC are a little backwards (O to select, X to cancel instead of vice versa like the default Playstation mapping) which led me to prefer playing on PS4 instead of PC.

For a casual player, there is definitely plenty of content available and I would bet that if yo consumed it casually enough, it would be a very long time until you run out of things to do. Also, I'd say the game is pretty forgiving of subpar comps in the beginning. You certainly don't need to reroll for 5* characters.

At some point, probably around the time you get into the second area (~AR 20?) you will feel it if you are missing a component in your party, like the correct elements to break certain shields. Painful, but not impossible. So that kind of incentivizes you to tune your comp.

Crone

Controller over KB/M for me, hands down. If you have a mouse with additional mappable buttons, that could work for you as well. Note that the controller bindings on PC are a little backwards (O to select, X to cancel instead of vice versa like the default Playstation mapping) which led me to prefer playing on PS4 instead of PC.

For a casual player, there is definitely plenty of content available and I would bet that if yo consumed it casually enough, it would be a very long time until you run out of things to do. Also, I'd say the game is pretty forgiving of subpar comps in the beginning. You certainly don't need to reroll for 5* characters.

At some point, probably around the time you get into the second area (~AR 20?) you will feel it if you are missing a component in your party, like the correct elements to break certain shields. Painful, but not impossible. So that kind of incentivizes you to tune your comp.
Cool. By the time we get to Area 2, if we get that far into the game, we'll know enough about things to start to improve the comps, and things like that. As long as they don't super punish you for not min/max'ing right from the get. Thanks for the info!