Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024)

spronk

FPS noob
the lisan al ghaib busta opens next week, reviews embargo'd until 2 days before release which usually isn't a great sign

4f376f62e6c7a1511b9ce2c261f7e484a17af1f2.jpg

• 9Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 13 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The year will be 2028,

He will buy tickets to see Ghostbusters and Dune.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Sony Pictures unleashes its “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” sequel in cinemas on Friday, but reviews are now coming out and the verdict is not good.

The film sees the Spengler family returning to the New York City firehouse to team up with the original Ghostbusters who’ve developed a top-secret research lab. The discovery of an ancient artifact unleashes an evil force, and Ghostbusters new and old must join forces to save the world.

With 90 reviews counted on Rotten Tomatoes, the film has pulled in just a 47% (5.4/10) score on the aggregate service. That’s a franchise low and behind the 64% (6.2/10) score for ‘Afterlife’.

Reviews slam the amount of nostalgia bait, apparently even more egregiously relying on it than ‘Afterlife’ did, and many cite issues with the pacing and third act. Here’s a sampling of review quotes:

“Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire doesn’t mess with the well-honed formula, carefully balancing its laughs and scares in the breezy manner that makes for pleasurable, if lightweight, viewing.” – Frank Scheck, THR

“This franchise might not be entirely dead just yet, but its latest resurrection doesn’t make nearly enough good arguments to keep pumping life into it.” – Kate Erbland, Indiewire

“The clumsy mixture of nostalgia, scares, set pieces, sincerity and wisecracks never gels, tempting a conclusion that it is perhaps time for Sony to give up this particular ghost.” – Tim Grierson, Screen

“Though the ensemble is too large, Frozen Empire does successfully find a decent balance between the multiple generations featured here, letting the younger cast drive most of the action without leaving the older characters on the sidelines.” – Liz Shannon Miller, Consequence

“One could only make the case that Kenan and Reitman are pivoting from comedy to action if either the action or the comedy played more effectively.” – Alonso Duralde, The Film Verdict

“There was potential here, but Frozen Empire is an overpopulated mish-mash, with too many heroes to wrangle. What’s left is a bit of a gooey mess. We’ve been slimed.” – Alex Godfrey, Empire

“The time has come for Hollywood to allow the spurious Ghostbusters franchise to join Jurassic World and Aquaman in the bin and think of something new.” – Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian

“Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire” is opening in cinemas everywhere on Friday and is reportedly targeting an opening weekend launch in the $45-50 million domestic box-office range.

• 2Worf

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I'll care what you guys say. Not movie critics

• 5Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I was worried it would go too hard on the nostalgia after watching the trailer and looking like that could be the case. It's a shitload of primary characters for a film.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'll care what you guys say. Not movie critics
If I’m unsure of a movie I’ll check here first. It’s fairly easy for me to determine whether or not I’ll enjoy a movie based on the comments made here and the people posting them.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
If I’m unsure of a movie I’ll check here first. It’s fairly easy for me to determine whether or not I’ll enjoy a movie based on the comments made here and the people posting them.

Turns out like minded people's opinions are more valuable to me than entertainment industry libshits.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
you may have to wait a while as i wasnt thrilled with the last one. there is no rush to see this one
You haven't watched the Cam rip yet? Tbh I didn't care for the last one much but the bar was so low it prolly got more love than deserved

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You haven't watched the Cam rip yet? Tbh I didn't care for the last one much but the bar was so low it prolly got more love than deserved
nope. no cam rip for me. i'm currently re-watching Breaking Bad. its better than anything in the last decade.

fris

Vyemm Raider
took my boys to it today. it was good. not as good as the last one but that's hard to beat

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Went and saw this and it was hilarious because at the theater there was a ghostbusters car outside. I’m also an idiot and got a souvenir cup. Wife and I loved it. Needed more bill murray though.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
This is going to kick ass.
I was wrong. It was shit. Complete shit. Not as bad as 2016 reboot, but it was heartless and soulless.

No chemistry between any of the characters.

No character in the characters...at all. Zero individuality in any of them. They all mumbled out the same tired one liner shit that we've been chocking on for a decade now. In Afterlife, at least, the Spengler kids had some interesting bits to them, and had to overcome some adversity. In this movie, there's no adversity to overcome, no character growth, no nothing. To make things worse, Aykroyd and Murray phoned it all in.

In short, there's nothing to this movie other than flat actors delivering tired one liners against a diarrhea-esque CGI backdrop.

Where in flying fuck were Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver? It's an easy guess that they read the script and noped the fuck out.

Also, for fuck sakes, will someone please hit Paul Rudd in the back of the head with a hammer and dump him into a ditch somewhere.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Well, Rick Moranis hasn't acted in like 25 years, so can't really use his absence as a barometer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be. Not as good as Afterlife and they had a couple too many characters. There was no room to have the Weaver and Moranis characters in this. Reitman did say if they do more movies that he wants to focus on the Dana character and bring more lore in from Ghostbusters 2.

• 2Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw it today while visiting my Dad. He wanted to watch it. I didn't think it was bad. It kept my attention, even though I suspected almost the entire end. Not a fantastic movie, but I didn't dislike it. So that's a plus.

Now to show my kids the first 2 and the first with Paul Rudd.