Girls who broke your heart thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Brad2770 said:
So, my ex called tonight and I answered. It was my son. I talked to him briefly. He asked me (again) if I would meet [his name]. I told him that I was busy, but maybe sometime soon.

I hate lying to him, but I have no interest in meeting the guy that will pretty much raise my son.

This is seriously the worst thing I have ever gone through..... I never even wanted children FOR THIS REASON EXACTLY.

I should have stuck to my guns and told her No, that I didnt want kids, but fuck is everything different when youre actually married and things are good.
I can definitely understand not wanting to meet the guy, but if he is and will be spending a lot of time around your son, you should definitely size him up and have a very frank discussion.

Brad2770

Im not good with discussions. Its probably better for the guy to remain distant from me. At least until I can get some other things under control.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Brad I"ve been there and I"ll give you the same advice that was given to me and that I didn"t believe until later.

It sucks not being there to raise your kids every day. I have a son who will be 7 on the 23rd of this month, my daughter will be 4 in April. The guy my ex wife is with has been living with my daughter longer then I did at this point and yea, that sucked ass when it hit me, I had a hard time dealing with it, but I was able to eventually step back from the situation and look at it objectively.

You are not "NOT" raising your son. You are still in his life, you are still his father, you are the one he will think of when someone refers to "dad" but only if you make it a point to remain a father figure to him. Your son has one dad, daddy, or whatever, and that"s YOU. Be there for him through the years, call him, go about things as you normally would...if you make it awkward for yourself you in the end only make it awkward for him.

As for the other guy, you need to meet him...yes it sucks...but you should because as you said, this guy is going to be playing a role in your sons life and you should get to know the person who will be doing that. You don"t need to be friends with the dude but if the guy is a decent man who has your sons well being at heart and is willing to be a role model and treat your son with care...then not only does your son have you...but he has him as well, two guys who care about him enough to set aside a portion of their lives to include him in it.

Not wanting to meet him and being pissed off he"s living with your son is making things about you when in reality it"s about your son. It"s the cold hard reality of divorced life, you need to accept it and once you do you"ll find it"s not nearly as bad and stressful as you"re making it out to be right now.

Good luck.

Brad2770

CabbitCabbit said:
New Year"s did not go as expected and now the chick I was after is suddenly dating some other guy. FML
That works out good for you!

Free time to look for a better chick!

lost

<Bronze Donator>
What an awkward position Brad, I"m sorry to hear that I cant imagine being in that position with one of my ex"s. It"s obvious you"re not over her and then for her to up and meet some new guy then have your son try to force you to meet him while you still wish you were in his shoes.. ouch.

I"m sure what Tarrant is saying is probably spot on, I"d want to meet him without your ex around as man to man so you dont have to feel like she"s there to support him, betraying you, slap in the face all that stupid emotional shit that will follow all this. What a shitty situation, to happen so soon, I mean its been a year or so which technically isnt so soon but since you"ve been on and off then have her do that to you.. might as well be the day after. I hope for your sake this helps you move on from her and realize its over, although as someone who hasnt followed the advice of this post like yourself, I feel inclined to believe it won"t persuade you just as much as the other shit that should have persuaded both of us to run from our ex"s hasnt.

I made my new years resolution to avoid my ex and move on, hopefully you do too.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Brad2770 said:
That works out good for you!

Free time to look for a better chick!
Thanks for the words, and I"ll be direct in my response in that I just had a TON of time, energy, and emotion invested into this one. Year"s worth. Like I"ve mention in my last post, we"ve dated before, and still have had occasional rolls in the hay. I have a system for this that has worked so far though. Get blasted and mopey for a day or two, and then I feel fine.

Brad2770

Im over my ex. My last run with Diane actually cemented that for me.

I did not know my real dad. i was a high school accident. The guy I grew up thinking was my dad (I have 2 sisters. The oldest of them, her dad) kicked me out when i was 10 years old. He had taken me in when I was 5 when my mom and him divorced because my mom didnt want my sister and myself separated.

The guy my mom married when i was 10 wasnt much of a father figure. He was actually quite abusive (more mentally to us kids and later I found out was physically towards my mom). This guy is my youngest sister"s dad. This is the sister I hang out with the most.

I didnt actually have a decent father figure until I was 15, my current dad, who is, for the most part, a great guy. He puts up with my mom, who is pretty much insane now, so thats a plus.

SOOO, when my ex and I started dating, i actually day dreamed about having a son with her. When I found out she was pregnant with a boy, I saw all of my dreams coming true-

I would get to live the childhood I missed through my son. I NEVER got to have a "real" dad when I was a boy, so this was my chance. I would get to do everything with him and teach him how to be a man. But how can I do that every other weekend now?

Maybe I could fall in love again and have another child, but I am emotionally drained from this. I have ZERO desire for another child. I will take what scraps I can get....

As much as i stressed before, it was never 100% about my ex. I was fighting for time with my son. Go back into some of my old posts, but I put up with a lot of shit from my ex for the sake of seeing my son more. I really felt like I was doing everything I could for my son. I never gave up on him or his mom. I "knew" things could work. I knew I would be able to grow with my son every day.... not every other week.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Brad2770 said:
So, my ex called tonight and I answered. It was my son. I talked to him briefly. He asked me (again) if I would meet [his name]. I told him that I was busy, but maybe sometime soon.

I hate lying to him, but I have no interest in meeting the guy that will pretty much raise my son.

This is seriously the worst thing I have ever gone through..... I never even wanted children FOR THIS REASON EXACTLY.

I should have stuck to my guns and told her No, that I didnt want kids, but fuck is everything different when youre actually married and things are good.
God that sounds like...well one of the worst things a guy can go through. Can you arrange it with your ex where she herself and only her meets up with you so you can see him? I don"t know what your custody stance is.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Tarrant220 said:
Not wanting to meet him and being pissed off he"s living with your son is making things about you when in reality it"s about your son.
This. I"m not married/divorced nor do I have a child so I"m not making any judgments, but I can give you the child"s perspective and tell you without a doubt what will happen if you follow a certain path.

My parents went through a really shitty and vindictive divorce. 12-some years later they still hate each other. My mom largely tries to keep the peace (though she"s no saint and has had her vindictive periods as well) while my dad largely tries to instigate or at least escalate problems. My mom wants her children to be well, my dad feels wronged by my mom. These are their primary emotions.

My mom, with some exceptions, made it about her kids and what she could do that was best for us.
My dad, with no exceptions, made everything about him and how my mom was "screwing him over."

Both appeared to me as pretty vindictive and childish at times, but there was a difference in their base motivation. I could see that. ALL kids can see that.

I currently am very close with my mom and tell her absolutely everything in my life, I have constantly fought with my dad and told him to fuck off for good 6 months ago and haven"t talked to him since.

If you let your personal feelings decide your behavior, you will single handedly fuck up your relationship with your kid(s). No matter what your ex tells your kid or what you tell your kid, he will know the truth about how you guys are. Kids are smarter than you think.

edit: Seems like everything is in the shitter for everyone except tarrant (and tenks, but he never posts much) heh. God damn. Everyone was great like 1-2 months ago. I"m meeting DG tomorrow night. I don"t know my purpose and what I want but I miss her much more than I expected I would. I had to pursue quite a bit to even get her to agree to meet and talk. It"s one of two possibilities: she wants me to work for it and win her back if that"s what I"m after, or, more likely, already met another guy. And I have a date on Saturday with the other Korean girl I went on 1 date with and didn"t like that much, simply because there"s nothing else goin on and I gotta force myself to leave the house when its so cold out. Gonna plan a longer night and some drinking and she what she"s made of. Eh.

Brad2770

I dont doubt that, Dabamf. I have been in somewhat similar situations... Though I have never seen it to the end since I do not know my real dad, but I have seen what leads up to the divorces.

I let my son make a lot of his own decisions. I let him choose if he wants to go home or stay with me. He can choose if he would like to take toys I have bought him to his mom;s house or leave them with me (She does not let him bring toys here... That was one thing I hated that my mom and first step dad did when we would visit back and forth- Not allow me and my sister to take toys back and forth to each house). I let him call her when he wants (or call her parents when he wants). Things that my parents controlled when I was younger that i hated, I let him have a choice.

I do not talk bad about her or her new man. I have to come up with lies on why I do not hang out at her house anymore (yeah, you guys were right.... it was not good for him for us to be "hanging out"...) or why I do not see her or her new man.

I HAVE been in his shoes, so I know what to look out for without upsetting him. I do my best to avoid awkward moments, though he did witness me getting into a heated conversation with his Grandmother, which was my fault because I lost my temper with her.

Long story short- She claimed she would always be there for me. When i asked for help on something, she told me she couldnt get involved. I reminded her of her promise and she said that things changed and it was an obligation she couldnt uphold. I spoke my mind afterwards. It was ridiculous, actually, but nothing I could do and I should have walked away.

I dont even need all of my fingers to count how many people I would drop everything I am doing to run to their rescue because I love them. All but two of those people have hurt me pretty bad at some point or another. Sad thing is, my ex and her parents are some of those people. I know I am not one of the people on their fingers......

EDIT**
Actually, feeling a bit better. I guess I needed to vent.

Brad2770 said:
I dont even need all of my fingers to count how many people I would drop everything I am doing to run to their rescue because I love them. All but two of those people have hurt me pretty bad at some point or another. Sad thing is, my ex and her parents are some of those people. I know I am not one of the people on their fingers......
This is something I"ve encountered far more in life than I ever thought or expected I would.

Being a good person is too hard for most people, no matter the circumstances. And it fucking sucks, but such is life.

Seems like everything is in the shitter for everyone
Not me! I"m doing wonderfully! January 18th is 6 months of blissful marriage. Remember, Brad? It"s fine, I"ll let you bump the number up a little more to adjust.

Also, Brad, if you want to be more involved in your son"s life, then you need to make the required sacrifices. You"ll need to go to court, you"ll need to fight for more visitation and custody rights, you"ll need to cut down on the party life-style and babe-hunting to spend time with him. Won"t be pretty, but unless you want to become "Brad" and not "Dad," that"s what you"re going to have to do.

Dabamf said:
My parents went through a really shitty and vindictive divorce. 12-some years later they still hate each other. My mom largely tries to keep the peace (though she"s no saint and has had her vindictive periods as well) while my dad largely tries to instigate or at least escalate problems. My mom wants her children to be well, my dad feels wronged by my mom. These are their primary emotions.

My mom, with some exceptions, made it about her kids and what she could do that was best for us.
My dad, with no exceptions, made everything about him and how my mom was "screwing him over."

Both appeared to me as pretty vindictive and childish at times, but there was a difference in their base motivation. I could see that. ALL kids can see that.

I currently am very close with my mom and tell her absolutely everything in my life, I have constantly fought with my dad and told him to fuck off for good 6 months ago and haven"t talked to him since.

If you let your personal feelings decide your behavior, you will single handedly fuck up your relationship with your kid(s). No matter what your ex tells your kid or what you tell your kid, he will know the truth about how you guys are. Kids are smarter than you think.
This. Except I"m going on 4 years without talking to my father and 11 years later would you believe it my parents are STILL going through the divorce (basically my dad tried to get out of trying to pay support by siphoning all the money off to the new girl friend and making himself poor, lying to the judge, appeals courts....which might have worked if the new girlfriend wasn"t under indictment for pulling an Enron....which landed HIS ass in jail....oy drama.).

The second I figured out that my dad was a fuck up who wasn"t interested in getting help so he could stop hurting people I just said peace out. I gave him plenty of warning that he was getting there with me - once I stop caring enough to even fight with you/be mad at you I"m pretty much done for good point of no return. He (like always) didn"t listen. He"s not invited to the wedding, he"ll never know his grandkids. I don"t think of him at all really. I"ll get a card occasionally and he sent some stuff off our registry - I took the money he spent and donated it to charity.

People don"t realize how observant kids are. Or if they do by that time its too late. There isn"t anything in the world my dad could do to get back in my good graces anymore because he can"t be trusted.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
There"s a narrow line to walk, Brad.

It"s okay to hate your dad(s), to be resentful for the shit they pulled, and to hold grudges as long as it"s necessary for you to come to grips with the reality of the situation.

However, you"ve got a boy now. You need to ask yourself if you want your son to feel the same way about you in 20 years. I"m pretty sure my father never thought this when his dad was drinking and locking them in a closet for the day, just like he didn"t think anything of it when he kicked me out. I, however, sure fucking did. And while I"m not my kid"s friend, I"ll never be the cruel heartless man who runs in my family. I"m a father and there are rules that need to be followed, but resistance is met with firmness, not violence and irrationality. My wife is to thank for being the guardrails that keep me on the right path, but it is my decision alone to head in that direction.

We"ve said this multiple times to you now, and while you"re making improvements, you"re still not fully grasping it. It"s not about you anymore. It"s not going to be about you again for the foreseeable future. It"s about the boy, his health, and his sanity. Man the fuck up, talk to the dude who"s gonna be seeing your son more than you, and learn to deal with the fact that it"s not okay to hide from shit just because it"s hard. There"s a big difference between a male and a man, and your son is going to know which one you are. Make sure it"s the one you want to be seen as.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
TheCutlery said:
We"ve said this multiple times to you now, and while you"re making improvements, you"re still not fully grasping it. It"s not about you anymore. It"s not going to be about you again for the foreseeable future. It"s about the boy, his health, and his sanity. Man the fuck up, talk to the dude who"s gonna be seeing your son more than you, and learn to deal with the fact that it"s not okay to hide from shit just because it"s hard. There"s a big difference between a male and a man, and your son is going to know which one you are. Make sure it"s the one you want to be seen as.
This is pretty much what I was getting at but just more directly.

And yeah Dabamf, things are pretty good....we"ve had our moments. Michele is an awesome girl, but she has a short temper at times but most women do...hell most people do at times so it"s not a big deal. We have a ton of fun together, no matter how much we"re around one another there"s always something we"re talking about and laughing about together. Her family adores me which is an awesome change of pace. All in all, things are pretty awesome, we"re out of the "honeymoon" stage and shits still going strong so I"m pretty happy everything so far.

Brad2770

I talked to my ex (through text) and she said that she is not ready for [his name] and myself to meet. That until she is comfortable with this idea, that it would not happen and that I am to trust her judgement in the case of our son.

To be honest, I am fine with it now too. Like I said a few posts before, I want to get a few of my ducks in a row before this goes down. This includes me knowing 100% I am over my ex.

I feel ok with her not being in my life everyday and the fact that i have not seen her since the end of Aug. helps, but I want to know that when I do see her, that I feel nothing for her. I cant say that I am 100% over her now (after giving this topic some thought last night), but I do know that I want to be over her.

I do not think about us getting back together anymore. I think about what I am going to do as a single man. I have goals established for myself for the next 6 months to a year. I want to accomplish these goals before I think about anything else. (These are things I thought about after Diane left... instead of thinking of my ex and how I can get back into her life, I finally thought about me and my son and that"s it.)

Brad2770

Ok, conversation just spilled over into her being depressed at work and that she wanted to talk to me about it. She told me she thought about texting me last night, but figured I would hold it over her head. When I asked her why she didnt talk to [his name], she ignored the question.

We talked about it and I gave her the best advice that I could. Advice that I could surely follow.

The thing is, I wanted so bad to tell her that the best things that happened to me were her. But I didnt say anything. I"m sure it is best.