Gloomhaven

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Raign

Golden Squire
We are running a mind thief, scoundrel and craigheart in ours. Nice balanced trio. Kitted out the craigheart with heals and some armor and run tank for the other two. Only tricky part is dealing with their initiative.. it is pretty much impossible to go first on the craigheart with the initiative values on the other two. Craigheart's life goal is super easy so it will likely retire very early where as the other two are going to be around for the long haul.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Bought and (finally) got the Broken Token organizer assembled and everything put into it. It is a thing of beauty. Those guys are good at what they do, holy shit.

Loving this game. May very well end up buying another copy once we're done with this one, the organizer will be re-usable!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Bought and (finally) got the Broken Token organizer assembled and everything put into it. It is a thing of beauty. Those guys are good at what they do, holy shit.

Loving this game. May very well end up buying another copy once we're done with this one, the organizer will be re-usable!

We just finished assembling ours as well and you're right, it's fantastic. We were a bit skeptical at first since we noticed a significant difference on the design of the tray that holds that miniatures compared to what their instructional videos and pdf stated. Reached out to Broken Token and they indeed confirmed the change (for the better) and said they were going to update their video/documentation.
Gloomhaven Organizer

We also took the time to sleeve all the cards which added a bit of bulk to the overall packing but ultimately, everything fit very nicely.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719TN8MB/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Almost wish I would have stained the organizer before assembling it!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
We just finished assembling ours as well and you're right, it's fantastic. We were a bit skeptical at first since we noticed a significant difference on the design of the tray that holds that miniatures compared to what their instructional videos and pdf stated. Reached out to Broken Token and they indeed confirmed the change (for the better) and said they were going to update their video/documentation.
Gloomhaven Organizer

We also took the time to sleeve all the cards which added a bit of bulk to the overall packing but ultimately, everything fit very nicely.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719TN8MB/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Almost wish I would have stained the organizer before assembling it!

Yeah I sleeve everything in use, which basically means all char cards owned, all monster decks, all active city/road events, etc. And then keep extra sleeves around if numbers change on us. I keep the available shop unsleeved until someone buys something, stuff like that. Only thing I've noticed so far is some of the tuck boxes for monster cards/standees had their sizes chosen strangely. Some that are tight fits could have been the larger ones, and then some larger ones have TONS of extra room.

• 1Like

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I'm waiting on my daedalus organizer but there is a decent dlay on production here's a video that talks about the difference in it and broken token

Tldr both are good bit of you sleeve cards the daedalus one is slightly easier to manage.

khorum

Murder Apologist
My vinly sticker set showed up today, never been so excited for stickers! Going to put them on our set tomorrow to get it updated, as ive been keeping track on our party sheet and stuff is crowded

The scoundrel is pimp as hell, so much damage. Mine retired at lvl 5 and was an absolute beast with a few items. I played the class you get at +10 reputation afterwards (and still currently) but eventually im going back to my scoundrel to decimate stuff. The low initiative on almost everything the scoundrel has is a lot of fun and. Not including one on your initial team is a pretty big hinderance I would think. Their upper level cards look like a ton of fun, so eventually im going to un-retire mine again and finish leveling them up.
you can un-retire retired chars? My Brute is like 4 bandit kills from retirement.

• 1Like

Del

Vyemm Raider
you can un-retire retired chars? My Brute is like 4 bandit kills from retirement.
No, but you can always play a new Brute character if you want to. You have the option to start him at the same level as the level of prosperity you currently have and use the 15(L+1) formula to figure out your starting gold.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

No, but you can create another Brute afterward. He'd start with any legacy perks granted by all your prior retirements, is able to start at higher level based on prosperity, and all Brute skill cards would retain any enhancements you were able to make to them prior to retiring.

• 1Like

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I'm waiting on my daedalus organizer but there is a decent dlay on production here's a video that talks about the difference in it and broken token

Tldr both are good bit of you sleeve cards the daedalus one is slightly easier to manage.

Love the stain and labels on the Daedalus, in particular, the storage location for the double sided tiles.

Just to clear up a couple points made in the video:
  • The tray that holds the miniatures does in fact fit in the box perfectly. The solution is you just need to open 4 characters and place the contents in the supplied character trays. Reviewer does kind of touch on it a bit but just wanted to clarify it's a non issue.
  • The health counters fit on the character trays in a recessed section that was basically cut out to support them specifically. Again, no issues.
  • The boxes don't really bulge that much when using card sleeves, but that's really going to boil down to what sleeves you use.
Ultimately, we have a table that's dedicated for gaming which means we'll leave the campaign up so setup isn't really an issue. As you stated though, you really can't go wrong with either organizer.

• 1Like

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
we made a house rule that you could un-retire the same character but very quickly we will have a higher prosperity and perk level for our guys than what the originals had. We had a few chars retire around level 5 who got easy personal quests but they only had about 2 maybe 3 perks. By the time the 2nd or 3rd guys retired we could start a new one at level 4-5 with prosperity with 2-3 perks (from retired chars) and probably better starting gold.

I miss my scoundrel, so much damage.

The replay factor on this game is crazy, we probably have 60+ hours in it and are about 1/3 of the way through the campaign and have only done a few of the "random generated missions" and only played about half the chars.

we have taken about a week break just to keep things fresh, but will soon be back at it.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
we made a house rule that you could un-retire the same character but very quickly we will have a higher prosperity and perk level for our guys than what the originals had. We had a few chars retire around level 5 who got easy personal quests but they only had about 2 maybe 3 perks. By the time the 2nd or 3rd guys retired we could start a new one at level 4-5 with prosperity with 2-3 perks (from retired chars) and probably better starting gold.

I miss my scoundrel, so much damage.

The replay factor on this game is crazy, we probably have 60+ hours in it and are about 1/3 of the way through the campaign and have only done a few of the "random generated missions" and only played about half the chars.

we have taken about a week break just to keep things fresh, but will soon be back at it.

How could you only have 2 or 3 perks at level 5? You get one every time you level up, in addition to check marks.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
I guess I missed the part about getting one when you level up, we have only been doing them for getting 3 check marks

that would help out a lot!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Really want to play this, but our core board gaming crew includes someone who has a personal flow-chart that determines if he will play a game and one aspect of it is that there has to be a definitive winner....which has ruled out other cooperative games like Pathfinder etc.

Is there any way I can spin Gloomhaven to appeal to his need for alpha male dominance?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Really want to play this, but our core board gaming crew includes someone who has a personal flow-chart that determines if he will play a game and one aspect of it is that there has to be a definitive winner....which has ruled out other cooperative games like Pathfinder etc.

Is there any way I can spin Gloomhaven to appeal to his need for alpha male dominance?

Get @Lightning Lord Rule to make you a flow chart that determines if this person is necessary or not at your gaming sessions, with most paths suggesting that no, he is not.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Sadly this person is my ex-roommate and keystone of the whole group as the person who brought people together in the first place.... also we tend to play at his condo since its centrally located heh.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Sadly this person is my ex-roommate and keystone of the whole group as the person who brought people together in the first place.... also we tend to play at his condo since its centrally located heh.

Sorry to hear about your faggot friend bro.

You could always let him know Gloomhaven isn't really open info between players at many times, and he can "roleplay" a dickhead character that goes out of his way to loot as much shit as possible, gain more XP than the others, and complete his battle goals at all costs, etc.

But again, faggot. Above recommendations are solid as well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So a few months later -- that same guy is now thoroughly addicted to Gloomhaven and even plays the Tinkerer (so a healer / support class) which is so completely contrary to his standard gaming persona that everyone outside the actual Gloomhaven group is shocked when it gets brought up.

We are about 10 scenarios in at this point and right on the verge of Level 4 for all our original characters (but the city itself is Prosperity 2). Just bought a 3D printer on an impulse and am having a blast printing and painting things to use in the game.

italica

Trakanon Raider
Back in stock for preorder (shipping later this month) for 120$ with free shipping at Game Nerdz. Free shipping for anything over 75$ which is nice considering this thing is 20 pounds. They also have the removable sticker set for one of the cheapest prices I've seen.

Edit: To clarify, free shipping to mainland U.S.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Ordered the Daedalus insert back on March 5th, still haven't delivered. People are gradually getting their orders but be prepared for 5-6 month wait.

On top of that Daedalus has started working with a kickstarter which is going to cause even more delays. If you want an organizer i would recommend going with Broken Token unless you have the months to spare.

Kaines

Potato Supreme

Your friend sounds like a complete faggot. Ditch him and I bet the people who are left will encounter a whole new world of cooperative board gaming nirvana.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users