God of War (2018)

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lots of streams up for GoW, only a few english ones at the moment. Was wondering when or if some bigname streamers would get early access, but none so far.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Watched a few streams and the game looks fucking grogeous.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Amazon shipped my copy this morning. Should be there by the time I get back home. Hopefully don't have to do the family thing for to long before diving in.

sole

Molten Core Raider
Same, just got shipping info from Amazon--will be here tomorrow. My body is ready.

Diemess

Silver Knight of the Realm
Taking a break from the gym and sending the kids off to grandma's house this weekend. I'm ready!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
4 hours until it unlocks. Figure I can be a bit tired at work tomorrow and play a few hours after the midnight launch.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
USPS says mine should be there tomorrow afternoon. As long as nobody calls off of work over the weekend I have until Tuesday night to beat it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm hoping one of the things not allowed to be shown in reviews is that there are more weapons than just the axe and shield.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'm hoping one of the things not allowed to be shown in reviews is that there are more weapons than just the axe and shield.
I hope his axe and shield looks better the farther you go into the game. From what I seen the axe looks like it dropped off a level 1 orc.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I watched a couple of interviews with the lead developer where they posed that same question, and while he was obviously coy about it, I got the impression that there was at least a possibility that there would be more weapons than the axe and shield.

Of course that could mean unlocking the classic God of War weapons when you platinum the game or something too though.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I watched a couple of interviews with the lead developer where they posed that same question, and while he was obviously coy about it, I got the impression that there was at least a possibility that there would be more weapons than the axe and shield.

Of course that could mean unlocking the classic God of War weapons when you platinum the game or something too though.
It would be awesome if he fights and kills Thor he can wield Mjölnir.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So. Impressions after 1 hour 35 minutes after first boss (not the troll)

Gameplay
- Great combat feel. Ties in with graphics, but animations make it so that every attack looks like it has weight behind it.
- Enemies attack following their own individual patterns. So can't focus on one. Need to dodge around everyone (playing on Hard). You can only survive around 3 hits.
- More akin to combat like a souls game than the old GOW games. Even fighting 5 mobs, it doesn't feel hack and slashy.
- First troll (one from trailers) could be ultra cheesed by flying axe. It took a while, but it never even hit me (first time I tried melee and it oneshot me).
- First boss was fun, but somewhat easy considering I am on hard (one more difficulty slider above what I use).
- No QTE evens so far. Might come later, but so far what would have been QTE scenes from the previous games are just video sequences in this.
- Already in the tutorial opening part you find things and encounters off the beaten path. (Still only found 3 of 4 toys which annoy me to no end and I want to restart, but I think this game lets you backtrack so I wont)
- Skill trees that I can see are axe, shield\defence, bow\rage\unarmed (bow is tied to the kid). No idea if there are more weapons later, but don't see any skill trees for them at the moment. I hope there are more. Kind of strange to add a loot mechanic to the game and limit you to one weapon. Granted I think you do get runes which change stats\add abilities to the axe.

Audio
- Nothing really to say. Good? Don't notice it, so nothing bad at least. Voice acting is good for the three characters I've heard so far.

Graphics
- ..... just wow. Playing on a Pro, 4k tv with resolution mode and HDR on. It. Looks. So. Good.

Only negative so far is that it is more "open" yet closed? Can't jump or fall off cliffs (at least not yet). Every time you can jump, you see a O icon and you press circle and you jump. When climbing, you can't jump to the side before you move your camera to the point where you see the O icon. You feel "stuck" to the ground if that makes sense. Example: A little hidden chest behind some trees and rocks. It looks like you'd easily be able to climb\jump over the rocks, but you can't. Need to find a specific point that lets you climb over that one particular object.

So while the areas you explore are more akin to Darksiders, your movement is still very linear.

Latter part is an incredibly minor gripe though, and more common than not in these games, so can't really fault it at all for it. 9/10 first early impression

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
bout an hour in, so amazing agree with everything Droigan said, and yes you will be able too back-track at a later time.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
got the notice that my copy from Amazon is going to be about 3-4 days late, guess I will get to test out their customer service again, its bee a while since I had an issue with Amazon

Not sure why they cant just re-ship and pull the one that is "stuck" in Ohio at a UPS terminal back but oh well.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not sure why they cant just re-ship and pull the one that is "stuck" in Ohio at a UPS terminal back but oh well.

Even if that was normal procedure they've been sold out of it for several days.

That does suck though. I won't be getting mine from Gamefly until Saturday, but it could be Monday if USPS decides to fuck up. Fortunately Yakuza 6 is fantastic too so I will survive either way.

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Turns out I had some leftover PSN credits so I'll be playing this shit in about 2.5 hrs.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Well, this game is fantastic. I have to admit though, until I get better at combat, I had to lower the difficulty from "challenging." Group combat is not easy. I did the first boss on hard, which wasn't so bad, but shit can get pretty hectic. Damn do I love the spectacle that is GOW.

Last edited: