Godzilla Minus One (2023)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't seen this, and I trust most of you, but be straight with me, is Godzilla as fucking retarded in this one as he is in Shin? I see a ton of you gushing over Shin, and I'm torn; I'll grant you that the actual movie part of Shin was pretty decent, but the part I was there for, motherfucking Godzilla, was a gigantic letdown for me (and I have documented my disdain multiple times as MFF can attest to). I could not get over the fact that Godzilla a) had Downs, and b) spent the vast majority of the movie fucking STANDING THERE DOING NOTHING!

Did you guys actually LIKE Godzilla in Shin? And is it more of the same in this one? Or does he actually act like fucking Godzilla? You can shit on the recent movies all you want, but at least Godzilla wrecks some shit instead of just stumbling drunkenly through buildings or standing around shooting laser beams out of his fins. In the same effect, repeated over and over to make it seem like he's doing it a lot.

I mean look at this geriatric motherfucker. And this is AFTER his Downs phase where he's supposed to be terrifying. Come on man! Please tell me he acts like he has at least a walnut-sized brain in Minus One.
Godzilla Resurgence Movie GIF

joz123

Potato del Grande
I haven't seen this, and I trust most of you, but be straight with me, is Godzilla as fucking retarded in this one as he is in Shin? I see a ton of you gushing over Shin, and I'm torn; I'll grant you that the actual movie part of Shin was pretty decent, but the part I was there for, motherfucking Godzilla, was a gigantic letdown for me (and I have documented my disdain multiple times as MFF can attest to). I could not get over the fact that Godzilla a) had Downs, and b) spent the vast majority of the movie fucking STANDING THERE DOING NOTHING!

Did you guys actually LIKE Godzilla in Shin? And is it more of the same in this one? Or does he actually act like fucking Godzilla? You can shit on the recent movies all you want, but at least Godzilla wrecks some shit instead of just stumbling drunkenly through buildings or standing around shooting laser beams out of his fins. In the same effect, repeated over and over to make it seem like he's doing it a lot.

I mean look at this geriatric motherfucker. And this is AFTER his Downs phase where he's supposed to be terrifying. Come on man! Please tell me he acts like he has at least a walnut-sized brain in Minus One.
Watch and find out?

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
When it comes to Japanese/Korean movies/TV its better to have lowered expectations on the CGI quality; they are not throwing down the kind of money on FX budgets that the big 5 in the US does. They still do some pretty respectable shit within their own constraints, for the mentioned reason of asian SFX/CGI artist work ethic. There's a reason why there was a Korean wave in hiring at production firms/video game companies in the US, they're all fucking insane and will work 80 hours a week 'til ship.

As for comparisons to the cancer iguana, I'm gonna channel my inner Szila and say with the Shin variant they were trying to reimagine the force/themes of Godzilla (nuclear bad, primal forces of nature beyond controlling, relative insignificance of man v. Nature) in a way that emphasized the horror of the collective Japanese post-war trauma. Early Godzilla was a big dumb oaf due to technological constraints; now he's been imbued with a sense of intelligence and the capacity to identify threats from literally half a world away. Shin had almost none of that and was just a mindless, unchained force of destruction- and even then, IIRC they dumbed down the actual carnage/damage caused by him flopping around in his lesser forms. He has the appearance of a burn victim, of being diseased, and even metastasizes with growths that look like humans. He looks like a zombie. There's only so many iterations they can touch on when it comes to remembering shit like Hiroshima, but I think that was what they were viscerally going for with his design and behavior. It's as dark as Godzilla ever got visually and thematically and part of me feels like the pop-eyed iguana shit was there to soften the impact.

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
alls i know is the japs are better at this shit than we are. their Godzilla is horrifying and amazing. our Godzilla is always wrong in some way. i saw that Godzilla movie in the 90s, the one with all the Simpson voice actors in it. it was pathetic and it was a woman. i remember walking out to some puffdaddy song ripping off Led Zeppelin and feeling totally underwhelmed. this new one shoots pink sparkles. i mean get the fuck out of here. stick with the japs. they know best.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just reading this movie had a $15m budget. There is no fucking way that can be possible.
Nerdrotic was saying the rumors are either 15m or 35m budget. Either way that's pretty crazy for a movie like this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
When it comes to Japanese/Korean movies/TV its better to have lowered expectations on the CGI quality; they are not throwing down the kind of money on FX budgets that the big 5 in the US does. They still do some pretty respectable shit within their own constraints, for the mentioned reason of asian SFX/CGI artist work ethic. There's a reason why there was a Korean wave in hiring at production firms/video game companies in the US, they're all fucking insane and will work 80 hours a week 'til ship.

As for comparisons to the cancer iguana, I'm gonna channel my inner Szila and say with the Shin variant they were trying to reimagine the force/themes of Godzilla (nuclear bad, primal forces of nature beyond controlling, relative insignificance of man v. Nature) in a way that emphasized the horror of the collective Japanese post-war trauma. Early Godzilla was a big dumb oaf due to technological constraints; now he's been imbued with a sense of intelligence and the capacity to identify threats from literally half a world away. Shin had almost none of that and was just a mindless, unchained force of destruction- and even then, IIRC they dumbed down the actual carnage/damage caused by him flopping around in his lesser forms. He has the appearance of a burn victim, of being diseased, and even metastasizes with growths that look like humans. He looks like a zombie. There's only so many iterations they can touch on when it comes to remembering shit like Hiroshima, but I think that was what they were viscerally going for with his design and behavior. It's as dark as Godzilla ever got visually and thematically and part of me feels like the pop-eyed iguana shit was there to soften the impact.
I still hate the Shin version, and only ever watch for the smoking hot asian girl, but this is literally the best argument anyone has ever given me for why it might actually make sense that they chose to portray him that way. Thank you.

• 1Solidarity

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider

You only need one memorable moment from Shin

af6547205ae2a657e64ca9c73a2c121b61c917f8.gifv

• 1Like

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Saw this tonight and loved it. One of the most pro-life movies I've ever seen. God Bless Shikishima.

What was the thing on the woman's neck at the end?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ah that makes sense. But I thought I saw it moving, like kinda growing up from out of her collar like smoke.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Saw this tonight and loved it. One of the most pro-life movies I've ever seen. God Bless Shikishima.

What was the thing on the woman's neck at the end?
Supposedly it ties into some form of godzilla spawn for the next movie.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Haha, took my wife to this and for whatever reason it hit her right in the feels. She playfully hit me at the end and was all "I must be about to start my period because that wrecked me, why didn't you tell me it was a feelings movie!?" haha

Liked it a lot, but yes, Godzilla looked like a giant retarded robot t-rex or something. They got me in the first half with bad ass "Ohhhh fuck!" baby Godzilla though, that guy was a monster.

Again, great movie, but people asked if Godzilla looked stupid, and yes, yes he does. Doesn't matter, great movie.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So this had only a 26% drop! And the budget might be lower than 15m. One of my friends wants to see it so I'm not going by myself !

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was worth the ticket. This is the kind of Godzilla movie I like.

I had one small pet peeve. The little girl did a cute job of acting but for some reason the director decided not to direct right at the end. There is no way that little girl would have been just ho-hum about seeing her mom at the end of the movie. She either would have been happy and excited or scared because mommy is no longer the same.

I am not sure what the moving black residual was on the mother's neck, but I assume it is explained out in the next movie. I liked the plan they came up with to sink Godzilla. It was refreshing as opposed to just blowing him up. The story line was actually compelling. I actually believe there probably were Kamikaze pilots who noped out at the end and then had to deal with the shame of that action. Incorporating an actual story that could have gone without Godzilla, and then adding Godzilla, was brilliant.

Looking forward to the larger Godzilla sequel as this movie should make bank.

I am not going to even bother with the new one coming out made in America. It looks trashy as hell.

Jaws seems rather boring now......

• 4Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Was a good movie, solid watch. That said, wouldn't call it amazing. Definitely does some things right. Loved godzilla, he looks and acts a bit stupid, and its perfect. There's no long-winded exposition, which is great as japanese movies are prone to that. Pacing is pretty solid.

For some negatives, acting is a bit ham fisted at times, CGI definitely looks cheap at times, And some of the plans they come up with are borderline insane. I mean...

Why not just fill a boat with explosives and lure it to chomp that? Sink it to the bottom of the ocean, raise it to the top after doing the old hoth air speeder trick? Who the fuck thinks that as plan A. I was getting serious squid games vibes where I wanted to yell at the characters for not running down the metal rails.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Saw this last week and it was refreshing how good it was. Nice to watch a Godzilla movie where I don't want to skip every scene that doesn't include him.

It's been a few years since I last went to a theater and AMC bought out our local Bow Tie since then. The place has definitely gone downhill.

• 4Like