Google service alternatives

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
No idea how youtube comes up with the suggestions. I'll search for a video on some welding and CNC equipment and then I'll get nonstop recomendations for craft stuff, crap like making christmas wreaths.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The only thing youtube ever suggests for me is Ben Shapiro videos. He gets suggested even when I'm watching a how-to video or something totally unrelated, and it's not like I'm a fan. I clicked a couple videos of his from various threads here but I've never searched him out but YouTube won't quit shoving him in my face. I guess if they're trying to favor left wing shit it's not working on my account.

YouTube also apparently really, really, wants me to watch Bill Burr videos. I've watched more of his stuff than Shapiro's, but it's not like he's my favorite comedian or anything. I get almost no recommendations for any other comedian's videos but Bill Burr shows up almost every time I'm on YouTube.

EDIT: Just for a sanity check I typed youtube.com into my browser just now and this is what it had for me -

View attachment 154015

From looking at my youtube recommendations, you would think I watched this shit non-stop.

Hover over a video and a three dot menu button should appear next to the name of the video. Click that and then select 'Not Interested', it'll remove the video and replace it with a link "Tell us Why" select that and you will get a few choices that will start influencing what it suggests.

For example my suggestions currently include some video about wolves I don't care about. After I click not interested and hit the tell us why link the following pops up;

uuI0vY6.png

At the bottom you can see the offending video you did watch at some point that is influencing your suggestions, tick the box next to it and it should stop suggesting wolf videos to me.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Read this thread and immediately went to youtube. This was suggested oddly enough.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Canceled my google music account, went back to Spotify, I hope their options increased from 7 years ago. No AC/DC will be a deal breaker.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Vivaldi seems nice so far, but the tabs not extending to the top of the screen rustles my jimmies. I clicked on a tab several times before I noticed I had to move the mouse down slightly.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My note4 won't accept my Google account, this happens when I'm in a different time zone for over a week...

Yea I know, trust me I'm not tech stupid, this is just what happens.

While your phone still works fine, you can't use Google assistant or Google keep or calendar, timers, alarms, upload photos, shit like that.

The only way I can fix this is to factory reset, so if you really want to see all the shit you loose w/o Google, remove your Google account.

Oh and txt and phone and contacts are all gone, I have no idea who the fuck is calling.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Vivaldi seems nice so far, but the tabs not extending to the top of the screen rustles my jimmies. I clicked on a tab several times before I noticed I had to move the mouse down slightly.
Mine literally goes all the way up until the next pixel turns the cursor into a resizing arrow. Not sure why yours would be different.

Loving Vivaldi, been using it for the last few days, and no problems whatsoever. It also allows you to install Chrome extensions like Ublock Origin, so that's really nice. Only thing I haven't found (haven't looked too hard) is syncing between machines, you know with bookmarks and such.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Only thing I haven't found (haven't looked too hard) is syncing between machines, you know with bookmarks and such.

Sync

Doesn't seem to exist yet. That thread from 2 months ago shows that some of the users have access to sync in a beta form so it is being worked on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Mine literally goes all the way up until the next pixel turns the cursor into a resizing arrow. Not sure why yours would be different.

Loving Vivaldi, been using it for the last few days, and no problems whatsoever. It also allows you to install Chrome extensions like Ublock Origin, so that's really nice. Only thing I haven't found (haven't looked too hard) is syncing between machines, you know with bookmarks and such.

This is what the tabs look like for me:

gap.jpg

When the windows is maximized, I end up clicking the gap above the tab most of the time. Very minor thing, but annoying.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Turns out there is a "remove tab spacing in maximized windows" setting that needed to be checked. Jimmies unrustled.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I was running Opera, trying Vivaldi now. Opera seems to have a mem leak, it would get sluggish and I would get mem warnings. But for all I know it because everyone and their mother is now tapping your browser to mine bitcoins. adding the extension to nerf that shit was first thing I put on Vivaldi.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I was running Opera, trying Vivaldi now. Opera seems to have a mem leak, it would get sluggish and I would get mem warnings. But for all I know it because everyone and their mother is now tapping your browser to mine bitcoins. adding the extension to nerf that shit was first thing I put on Vivaldi.

Post them shits up please, fuck assholes getting to mine from my rig remotely.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
WTF? They do that on Desktop or my phone? I don't want my shit mining coins for nobody!

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
WTF? They do that on Desktop or my phone? I don't want my shit mining coins for nobody!
Could potentially happen on any device that can run Javascript and hits one of these ads from coin-hive. uBlock Origin I believe should stomp all of these out by default now. Otherwise you can add a third party list of coin miners such as this (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/master/nocoin.txt).

Unfortunately on your phone you can't install Extensions in Chrome so you'll have to use an alternative browser like Firefox and load up uBlock or a specific coin miner blocker extension that way. Could also block specific coin mining website urls via editing hosts file if you have Root, or use something like DNS66 on Android to use a local virtual VPN to filter your hosts file without Root (and then add coin miner URLs to it).

Huge pain in the ass though because any site could potentially eat up 100% CPU if they served up an ad that points to these coin miners.