Google service alternatives

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we could discuss alternatives for Google products for those that are looking to jump ship due to their idiocy.

Chrome - Seeing a lot of talk about Firefox Quantum, sounds fast and easy to use if you were a chrome user.

Gmail - No clue what would even come close to replacing this.

Youtube - Vimeo maybe? I don't know of anything else that has high accessiblity at work and most regulated networks.

Keep - This one is going to hurt the most for me, anyone have any alternatives?

Search - I've switched to bing, it works but it took awhile to get used to.

Hangouts - I'm guessing skype is the only real solution here, maybe Discord.

Calendar - This one is also going to suck, what alternatives do you recommend?

Android - I thought this was open source so I'm not sure if Google get's anything from this. The only thing I can't seem to find is how to switch search engines in the search on the browser.

I'm sure there are other services I've missed, if you have suggestions or you're looking for an alternative please post em up.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The only alternatives that will be able to complete from a reliability and availability standpoint will be MS products.

OneNote will replace keep and is free along with OneDrive, Skype (Hangouts), Outlook. Com (gmail and calendar).

I mustve missed what Google did this time?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we could discuss alternatives for Google products for those that are looking to jump ship due to their idiocy.

Chrome - Seeing a lot of talk about Firefox Quantum, sounds fast and easy to use if you were a chrome user.

If you're okay with Chromium I've been using Vivaldi for a couple of weeks now and I've liked it. I'm personally trying to steer away from Firefox as well because they're just as disappointing as Google has been.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If you're okay with Chromium I've been using Vivaldi for a couple of weeks now and I've liked it. I'm personally trying to steer away from Firefox as well because they're just as disappointing as Google has been.
Trying out Vivaldi now. So far, so good. The real test will come in a week or two when my open tab count (that I totally meant to get to soon) begins to really escalate. I'm terrible at opening a tab because it looks interesting and then forgetting about it, and Firefox in particular hates that after a week or so of being open. Chrome isn't much better. Yes, I know that's a problem with me and not the browsers, but hey, maybe Vivaldi will handle it at least as well. If so, I see no reason why I wouldn't use it as my default. The customization options are really nice too.

Malkav

French Madman
Just installed the Firefox Quantum beta that was just released.

So far it's very smooth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

Ditto - inquiring minds want to know.

Is it something new they did/announced or just the tinfoil hats are stronger now?

Aside from the biased youtube censorship, manipulated search results, firing of employees for showing their concern, yesterday's google doodle was fucking out there. I'll see if I can find the picture, I know it was in the Politics thread but I'm sure it's 60 pages back now.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Aside from the biased youtube censorship, manipulated search results, firing of employees for showing their concern, yesterday's google doodle was fucking out there. I'll see if I can find the picture, I know it was in the Politics thread but I'm sure it's 60 pages back now.

Ah. Yeah, I guess I sorta can understand that. But, just playing devil's advocate here but coca-cola, nestle and a slew of other companies fuck 3rd world countries over by gimping their water supply - so don't drink coke/whatever, Microsoft gave the FBI/CIA a backdoor so don't use Windows, AmBev consistently fucks over the craft beer industry so god forbid if you drink a Budlight or other shit beers, etc, etc, etc. Thousands of companies have shitty/different/psychotic SJW political views or do some dumb fucking shit.

Maybe I'm just so jaded by politics and people's opinions that I just don't fucking care anymore. You know full well which way I lean politically after hearing Josh and I bitch at each other when we play PUBG. I mean if I followed the same train of thought (ie: how you feel with Google) then I shouldn't even play games with people who have different political opinions than me? I don't know. Just seems dumb but I get the angle you're going for.

• 1Picard

Hekotat

They can have whatever views they want, just don't shove them down my throat.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
kendall-jenner-pepsi-commercial-04.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Just installed the Firefox Quantum beta that was just released.

So far it's very smooth.
It's awesome, but I can't get hangouts notifications to work very well with it.

Not sure what to do.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've never used gmail. I'm probably the last person on the planet or at least the US not to. I still have my business email and can just created a temp throw away if I need one. Amazingly enough I don't get tons of junk email, but I don't give out my personal email but to a handful of people. My dad uses his email thru the business and he gets 1000x more junk email than I do. He probably gets more emails per day than I get in a year. He gets a business related email maybe once every 2-3 months and the project manager he normally deals with will call and say he send him some drawings to look at.

The only other thing I use regularly besides just google search is android. I'm not tied to apple or android but if you are picking based on politics kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Tim Cook seems to be sticking his nose in a lot of areas not really related to his job as CEO.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've got 7 ish email addresses I use just for personal stuff. I only really check 2 of them though. After the great wow account hack spree of 2009(?) I learned the hard way that using the same email to sign up for all sorts of nebulous shit on the web and your important accounts is not the most secure approach. They only got the wow account, but could have easily gotten into my online banking or PayPal.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Most of those (not browser, search, or youtube, although it seems like you've identified at least some starting alternatives for those) could be replaced by the apple equivalents (or microsoft), but I'm not sure those are any better politically.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't know if it's from browning FoH or what. I've been getting all these suggested videos on youtube, spanish videos, women interest videos, and stuff I wouldn't click on in a 1,000 years. This week I got the NFL channel suggested. I guess from reading here or something. Haven't looked at NFL, talked about NFL, or watched an NFL game since before the internet really made a common appearance. They come in spurts, Nothing then one week it's suggested crap that is political talk of the week, which of course I have no interest in and have clicked the not interested, then a few weeks it happens all over again.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The only thing youtube ever suggests for me is Ben Shapiro videos. He gets suggested even when I'm watching a how-to video or something totally unrelated, and it's not like I'm a fan. I clicked a couple videos of his from various threads here but I've never searched him out but YouTube won't quit shoving him in my face. I guess if they're trying to favor left wing shit it's not working on my account.

YouTube also apparently really, really, wants me to watch Bill Burr videos. I've watched more of his stuff than Shapiro's, but it's not like he's my favorite comedian or anything. I get almost no recommendations for any other comedian's videos but Bill Burr shows up almost every time I'm on YouTube.

EDIT: Just for a sanity check I typed youtube.com into my browser just now and this is what it had for me -

utube.png

From looking at my youtube recommendations, you would think I watched this shit non-stop.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf