GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The show is definitely more clear on my PC monitor (no HDR) than on my LG OLED TV. I'll probably rewatch it on monitor, hoping for a better rip or something from HBOGo. Both HBO GO and amazon streams have TERRIBLE artifacting right now, I dunno what happened but someone fucked up.

Lol, why would no HDR matter? Your TV plays SDR content the same as every other TV. The fact your TV can also play HDR content has no bearing on its SDR playback as HDR and SDR are entirely separate

And OLEDs are notorious for struggling with "near black" scenes.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought it was cool that night king is/or rather, was, human, and ultimately was his weakness. He could have easily had his dragon come and cook bran or just overran him with hoards of the dead but because bran represented everything the night king hated (the children that created him, and the memory for living beings) it was a personal matter for him to do the deed himself, and this vengeance , essentially human quality of nk, went against his better logic and ultimately lead to his demise (kinda like gus fring fking with Salamanca).
It also doesn’t hurt that it creates the major plot contrivance that allows for his death.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Isn't the point of OLED that they do a BETTER job with black contrast then LCD or regular LED?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I was really hoping the Night King was going to say something. Like...talk, motherfucker!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Terial

Trakanon Raider

• 11Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 13 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I love how so many people are just writing it off as "lol subvert expectations derp" yes it is refreshing to see a show that isn't formulaic Hollywood pig shit but there are also different levels of subverting expectations.

Sean Bean - Main character center of story get's his head bounced the fuck off, Oh shit I wasn't expecting that - Still makes sense falls in line with the story

or

You could have Superman show up and donkey punch Cersei this would also subvert expectations but it would be fucking stupid and have no place in the story.

So no subverting expectations is dogshit copout excuse when you go to far off the beaten path with it.

And seriously why didn't his entourage of his hand picked horsemen of the Apocalypse do anything. Could of had at least one of these dudes skull fuck Sir. Friendzone instead of letting a rando get the kill.

711de12d-74e8-43c4-83fd-3678527dd42e.png

Also if NK dying blows up the whole fucking Army why not just wait in the fucking back, goddamn the more you think about this shit the gayer it gets.

Isn't Bran suppose to be an ultra Warg? Why didn't this little American Inventor warg a dragon you know we all wanted it. As someone said boss was pulled and this little faggot just went AFK he came back just in time to see the boss die and you know that piece of shit is gonna roll for the loot and get it.
I'm willing to bet there's a STRONG overlap between people that are ok with the last few seasons of GoT and TLJ.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
The worst part was howinconstant the wave of undead was. They went from knocking down doors with tens of bodies to standing in the library looking for good books and listening for blood drops? heros would get swarmed then have room to hack and slash then get swarmed again. The undead would have no reserves beyond rez, the swarm would be all encompassing.

Yeah I thought it was weird that the narrow flame barrier made them even stop, afterwards see like a total of 8 undead falling on it let the army pour though. the whole damn barrier should of not even made them pause, just have the first ranks smother it. Would of been more effective too, showing how hopeless all their plans were.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Are there actually people who liked TLJ though?

a05BrEd_700b.jpg
Liked, as in gave more than 5s of thought to the plot and characters? No.
Liked, as in they shutoff their brains, were entertained by explosions and set pieces for ~2 hours, and were able to relate to other mindless automatons about having a shared experience? Yes.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Isn't the point of OLED that they do a BETTER job with black contrast then LCD or regular LED?

Yes, OLED's do better with pure black than other technologies. This is because they can turn off each individual pixel. What I said they struggle with is "near black" content, stuff that is almost black, dark grey etc.

This is why every-time a new LG TV is released then the hardcore users on AV forums post photos of the TV's ability to display various gradients of black/grey. A common problem on LG OLEDs is "banding" or "jail bars" at near grey content.

See this thread for the new LG C9 for examples LG OLED C9 Owners and Discussion Thread

I have a 2015 LG OLED that has been professionally calibrated, I've downloaded every episode of this season in the 1080p WEB.H264-MEMENTO from IPTorrents. The episode was definitely dark in places but the biggest issue was the smudging/pixellated/artifact effects in places

I just found it amusing that spronk spronk implied that HDR was making a difference when it has absolutely zero to do with any picture quality, but hey, it's a spronk spronk home theatre post - that's about par for the course

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I came here to complain about the fucking stupid battle strategy. Not disappointed. What the fuck? It's like playing a Total War battle and clicking "Start Battle" immediately without doing the deployment phase.

I'm generally really forgiving of plot holes and nitpicks when stuff like this is done to set up neat scenes, but come on, this was just bad. Just plain bad.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
OLEDs generally can do well with near black, but it usually requires an experienced hand to properly tweak without messing up other things. Out of the box they tend to crush out a lot of dark detail. The stream I watched was pretty hopeless regardless. Issues with the plot aside, I do look forward to watching this in glorious 4K HDR.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i thought Jons dragon died.

Well, that evens things up a bit more. Makes the NK's death even more lame honestly.

His entire thousand year quest culminated in him scoring a melee kill on Theon before getting 1 shotted by a stealth rogue assassin in the godswood. So, he took out a lot of unsullied, the Dothraki, House Mormont, Edd, 3 eyed Raven, Theon and a dragon.

Lol.
he got no Stark or Lannister kills. Cersei chillin out in KL had a few flurries during the night, but it was all good in the morning. in the big scheme of things. NK was a nothingburger.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
he got no Stark or Lannister kills. Cersei chillin out in KL had a few flurries during the night, but it was all good in the morning. in the big scheme of things. NK was a nothingburger.
The dead were a plot device to reduce the size of Dany's armies so the real war wouldn't be lopsided. Sure if the NK hadn't been killed there everyone would auto-lose but given that it wasn't the climax they became a blatant balancing mechanic.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
More pissed about, as mentioned already, Bran going AFK as soon as the boss got pulled.
actually if you think about, b4 he went AFK, the horde was mez'd w/ power of moat, and Bran didn't go AFK, he went to aggro the NK, cuz those fucking ravens seem to piss him off and he said, "make a zombie bridge!!!"

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Damn, 10 pages since last night!? I'm not reading 10 pages of you autists crying about shit. Let me know if there is anything actually interesting I missed!

I saw some posts complaining about image quality. It looked great to me, streaming through HBO Go. Is the image quality better on HBO's apps, maybe? I know Comcast and ATT compress the fuck out of their "HD" shit.

Anyway, episode was pretty awesome as far as the show goes. It's clear(and sad) that George Martin probably doesn't have much input now. Almost nobody died and those that did were mostly B-list characters. You know 'ol Georgey would have killed a shitload of people. In the behind-the-scenes stuff, they said they knew Arya was going to be the one to kill the NK for the last 3 years. I wonder if that came from Martin or if the show runners made that decision. Guess it doesn't matter, since the books will never be finished.

Bunch of book reading faggots that come around and bitch about every episode. There were definitely some silly things, like the wights just kinda walking around the library walking dead style, the bizarre battle plan Winterfell came up with, and the plot armor the main characters had.

A lot of the autistic bitching is nonsense, though. Yes, it was dark. That was intentional and referenced during the battle. It does help with keeping CGI costs down but also makes the undead horde seem endless and is a smart move if you're the NK instead of attacking in the middle of the day. I also do agree that it feels off that the NK was killed so early in the season, but people thinking the Starks were going to retreat and abandon Winterfell was pretty dumb.

Also, not really sure what the fuck people were expecting from Bran. He's great pre-battle, but pretty worthless during the actual fight. He did put everything in motion for NK's death which is really all you can ask of him.

• 3EyeRoll
  • 1Salty
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 6 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure the book will have more detail and back story, but considering GRRM said the show will have essentially the same ending...I think people need to accept the White Walkers were never going to be the final boss.
You always write 5 + books of politicing and fighting over the throne to have it be invalidated by the tiny side quest!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users