Gravity (2013)

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Basic premise of movie... Astronaut out on walk. Shit hits shuttle, shuttle go boom, your job.... Live.

What spectacle this was. Just beautiful.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have not seen this yet, but I saw and interview they did with a RL astronaut and what his thoughts on the movie was. He basically said that its hard to describe what you see up there in words, but this movie described this and how beautiful it is up there.

Psypher_sl

shitlord
Amazing movie. Didn't get to see it on IMaX3d; got out-voted, cheap fuckers didn't want to spend the extra $5.
eh, if there was a movie to only watch in IMAX 3D it was this one. You got cheated of a great experience. I doubt you'll be able to recreate it since you already saw it. Get some new friends...

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Saw this, so I'll add to the chorus. Fucking excellent movie. Draws you in, keeps you there. The movie is intense and engaging from first minute to last. I cant think of a movie I thoroughly enjoyed as much as this one in a while.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Engaging, suspenseful, and intense, but ultimately lacking in substance. There was a reviewer that said it was full of effect, not affect, and I think that's a pretty good line.

Though this is a movie leaps and bounds better than Avatar, this kind of reaction reminds me of critic reactions to Avatar. That sucker was 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and it was such a shitty film. Maybe 3D mastery is enough for some, but not me.

Like I said, though, a good movie, just not great or mindblowing.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well I guess I'm in the minority in not liking this movie at all aside from the initial disaster... the 3-4 subsequent ones were tired for me as far as thrills go. The special effects were alright, nothing mind blowing but that may have been the fault of the theater I went to. My main complaint is the lack of any story; it was much akin to watching Titanic and skipping ahead to the sinking or Saving Private Ryan and jumping to the final battle. A bunch of people that we know nothing about are caught in some catastrophe and we are expected to care... why? Beyond "That's unfortunate" I have no idea.

Lots of shiny and no soul though that Wall-E rip scene made me crack up hard in my chair and set me in the mood to judge this as a B movie experience... God help me but I really wanted a statue of Liberty moment at the end.

Loco_sl

shitlord
Just saw it last night in 3d and enjoyed it. It's definitely worth watching and watching in 3d.

The only part that I felt could have been done 'better' was the ending. I have a feeling the ending sequence got re-written quite a few times. I saw several opportunities for alternate endings throughout the last 15 minutes.

They could have gone with a depressing ending and have the screen slowly fade out when she turned off the oxygen. Or they could have had a weird depressing ending when George made it back and left you to wonder if she was just hallucinating while she was dying or if he really did manage to make it back.

How about a badass ending when she straps in for re-entry and screams "Either way this will be one helluva ride!"?

But I think I would have preferred her being pulled out of the capsule back on Earth, but totally limp and leaving the audience to wonder if she survived.

Maybe that's just me though... the ending didn't quite 'gel' and felt slightly out of place but it didn't detract from the movie by much.

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's strange, I didn't really have any feelings or thoughts on the movie after I left. I didn't hate it nor did I love it. I had watched a thing and then the thing ended.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
The ending was lame because she landed mere meters from shore on a planet that's 70% water. Having Kowalski return would have been even dumber because his momentum carried him into the infinite void and there would have been no way for him to return.

Also, I don't know if it was the filters or what, but the last scene looked like something out of the Jurassic period.

EDIT: Use spoiler tags, please. -Soy

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
My main complaint is the lack of any story; it was much akin to watching Titanic and skipping ahead to the sinking or Saving Private Ryan and jumping to the final battle. A bunch of people that we know nothing about are caught in some catastrophe and we are expected to care... why? Beyond "That's unfortunate" I have no idea.
Yeah, I'll agree that the lack of any story is what keeps this movie from being truly amazing. It definitely draws you in visually and aurally, but not enough depth to make me really care about what happens to the characters. I feel were they on some important mission when everything goes wrong, then caught in the dilemma of wanting to execute the mission AND save themselves, it would have been better. Simply relying on the will-to-live angle wasn't enough for me story wise. Still, it was great and definitely one of my favorites of the year so far, but I wanted a little bit more I think. Sunshine is a better space movie in my opinion, even with the final act.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
I liked the movie, but i can't believe it is scoring as high as it is on RT. The first hour was fantastic, and then it went to utter cheese-fest and lost me. Like someone mentioned above, you can really tell where the ending was rewritten after a focus group told them "BUT THAT'S TOO SAD".

spronk

FPS noob
nothing I've read suggests there was a rewritten ending based on focus testing, the director just doesn't roll that way (he also did children of men). the only rewritten scene was bullocks dream sequence.

its hard to explain but I really, really enjoyed the movie because of course it really made you feel like what it must be like to be alone in space, the environment really was the star. It also made me really appreciate how far humanity has gotten, we all get caught up in the day to day bullshit but this movie just hit me in the feels for all the amazing progress we have made and where we are going - the scenes with the lights over the continents, or the wide shots of our space structures (and then all of them getting destroyed). like every little boy I've dreamed of being an astronaut my entire life, and this movie just made something inside me feel so happy, sad, proud and satisfied at the same time.

I also think its the kind of movie that could really, really inspire kids to do great things, not sure if my kids are old enough to see it but I will probably take them this weekend.

Menion_sl

shitlord
Just saw it last night in 3d and enjoyed it. It's definitely worth watching and watching in 3d.

The only part that I felt could have been done 'better' was the ending. I have a feeling the ending sequence got re-written quite a few times. I saw several opportunities for alternate endings throughout the last 15 minutes.

They could have gone with a depressing ending and have the screen slowly fade out when she turned off the oxygen. Or they could have had a weird depressing ending when George made it back and left you to wonder if she was just hallucinating while she was dying or if he really did manage to make it back.

How about a badass ending when she straps in for re-entry and screams "Either way this will be one helluva ride!"?

But I think I would have preferred her being pulled out of the capsule back on Earth, but totally limp and leaving the audience to wonder if she survived.

Maybe that's just me though... the ending didn't quite 'gel' and felt slightly out of place but it didn't detract from the movie by much.
I was just waiting for the crocodile to jump out of the water and eat her on the edge of the bank.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Amazing movie.

You fucking cynics and your "Hollywood ending" bullshit need to just stfu and gtfo. You'll never be satisfied until they flash, "AND EVERYONE DIED. THE END," before the credits roll.

It's also the first movie in a long time where I think 3D is actually good for the movie. I'm usually straight-up ambivalent to 3D, but this movie would have been a little too flat in 2D.