Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I think I'm going to do a brisket in the Sous Vide for Christmas, has anyone here done that? How did it turn out? I was going to smoke the brisket for an hour or two and then put it in the Sous Vide afterwards and let it finish. Do you still sear a Brisket afterwards or how would I handle that?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Brisket seems like it would have too much connective tissue in order to be a good application of sous vide.

• 1Like

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
I think I'm going to do a brisket in the Sous Vide for Christmas, has anyone here done that? How did it turn out? I was going to smoke the brisket for an hour or two and then put it in the Sous Vide afterwards and let it finish. Do you still sear a Brisket afterwards or how would I handle that?

Coincidental timing as I just read about this over at The Food Lab as part of my research into "should I buy a sous vide setup now?". The summary is 155º for 24-36hr coating in a rub that includes sodium nitrite (pink curing salt), followed by a quick finish on the barbecue to product some charring.

The full article including the test variations that they ran are here: The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Smoked Brisket

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've done brisket twice, once at 145 for 72 hours and once at 150 for 48 hours. I still seared it after. It was literally fucking amazing. It's different in texture, like a super super tender steak, it will not be that pull apart brisket goodness. It's really really good though.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have a friend that sous vides all the time and he made brisket for a Super Bowl party and it was probably the best I've ever had.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I seasoned with salt and pepper only on the first one. I did a spice rub on the second, like you would if you were smoking. It was pretty simple, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, a little chili p.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've done brisket twice, once at 145 for 72 hours and once at 150 for 48 hours. I still seared it after. It was literally fucking amazing. It's different in texture, like a super super tender steak, it will not be that pull apart brisket goodness. It's really really good though.

Yea when I did it the brisket came out like prime rib. Which may or may not be what you're going for. I did mine for 48 hours.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Steady has a bit of a sweet tooth and when he was at the store the other day for burger he magically came home with a candy bar cake - basically a chocolate cake that had candy on the interior, frosting and more candy bars. He said the only thing that would have been better was if there was pie in it too. So of course, I looked up pie cake combos; there are two fields Pake which is a cake batter baked in a pie crust or Cake with Pie baked inside the batter.
I have not found a recipe for what I would like to try but have come close.
How ridiculous does a chocolate coconut caramel pecan pie baked inside a german chocolate cake with german chocolate frosting and dark chocolate candy bars such as mounds and milky way midnights and real dark chocolate (like 70% ) on top of the frosting sound?

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Steady has a bit of a sweet tooth and when he was at the store the other day for burger he magically came home with a candy bar cake - basically a chocolate cake that had candy on the interior, frosting and more candy bars. He said the only thing that would have been better was if there was pie in it too. So of course, I looked up pie cake combos; there are two fields Pake which is a cake batter baked in a pie crust or Cake with Pie baked inside the batter.
I have not found a recipe for what I would like to try but have come close.
How ridiculous does a chocolate coconut caramel pecan pie baked inside a german chocolate cake with german chocolate frosting and dark chocolate candy bars such as mounds and milky way midnights and real dark chocolate (like 70% ) on top of the frosting sound?

I already have diabetes, now I am going to die from reading that.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My brother made a ham with his sous vide gizmo the other night and it was okay but the fat was pretty weird. Very sticky, like you could have thrown it against the wall and it would have stuck. Is that a sous vide thing or did he just get a weird ham?

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
So it may be a bit over the top then? :)
I am not comitted to it, maybe I will alter the pie.

Here is a suggestion: bake a light chocolate cake (chocolate chiffon or Japanese cheesecake style), add a layer of whipped ganache (use 1.5:1 ratio then whip), cover that in cherry pie filling, and then break a baked pie crust over the top.

If you remove the pie crust, substitute raspberries for cherries, and decorate it for a six year, that is literally the birthday cake I baked for my daughter last summer.

4EBD7FD2-CF33-43B1-A3B7-29317A55446D.jpeg

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My brother made a ham with his sous vide gizmo the other night and it was okay but the fat was pretty weird. Very sticky, like you could have thrown it against the wall and it would have stuck. Is that a sous vide thing or did he just get a weird ham?

Did he finish it outside of the sous vide? Sounds like it could have been broiled/grilled a bit for that finishing texture you want. It's also possible he overdid the time. The food Lab did a break down on time for steaks you can read about here:

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Steak

While that is not ham it gets the point across longer isn't always better.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, he took it out, put on a glaze, and put it in the oven for a while. The meat was good although not extraordinary, the fat was just weird.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Here is a suggestion: bake a light chocolate cake (chocolate chiffon or Japanese cheesecake style), add a layer of whipped ganache (use 1.5:1 ratio then whip), cover that in cherry pie filling, and then break a baked pie crust over the top.

If you remove the pie crust, substitute raspberries for cherries, and decorate it for a six year, that is literally the birthday cake I baked for my daughter last summer.

View attachment 157898

If Gavin ate that would it be incest or masturbation?