Gravy's Cooking Thread

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Tonight's cook on kamado Joe 18inch

2 Cornish hens, one baby chicken, one 5 inch tamahawk steak. Wife cooked the kids Mac n cheese this go round.

The small chickens are probably better than the steak TBH.

IMG_20171217_182502.jpg

IMG_20171217_184707.jpg

IMG_20171217_195339.jpg

IMG_20171217_202316.jpg

IMG_20171217_180526.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah a lot of that looks quite tasty.

Second making of saag paneer in the works. Think it'll turn out much better this time.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I make this Eggnog every year and can't stop chugging it. This year was even better since the eggs were from our chickens instead of the store. I omit the alcohol in ours (addiction issues) but the amount used should get you nice and fucked up w/o realizing you are drinking booze.

Ingredients 8 servings 16 servings 24 servings
Fresh Eggs 4 8 12
Sugar 1/2 cup 1 cup 1 1/2 cups
White Rum 1 cup 2 cups 3 cups
Milk 1 1/2 cups 3 cups 4 1/2 cups
Whiskey 1 cup 2 cups 3 cups
Heavy Cream 1 cup 2 cups 3 cups
Ground Nutmeg Enough to sprinkle on servings.

Instructions

You are doing things gently and slowly to preserve the eggnog's fluffiness.
A good whisk for the stirring and a high speed mixer for the egg-whites and cream helps this process immensely

Separate eggs into yolks and whites in separate bowls. I put the whites into the mixer and the yolks into another bowl.
Beat egg-yolks with 1/2 of sugar, set aside.
Beat egg-whites until stiff, then mix in other 1/2 of sugar.
Pour the yolks into the whites and mix together slowly.
Stir in white rum slowly. I've tried dark rum and it works.
Stir in milk slowly (see below for dairy intolerance)
Stir in whiskey slowly (Bourbon, Canadian, Sour Mash. I use Jim Beam or Jack Daniels)
Stir in 1/2 of cream slowly
Whip rest (1/2) of cream and fold it into the mixture carefully. Notes on how to fold below.
Serve at room temperature by ladling the eggnog into cups and sprinkle nutmeg on the top. Information on nutmeg grinders below. Try to get some of the foam and some of the liquid (if not fully mixed) in each cup.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have been skeptical of the kitchen gadget fads on this board but I tried the instant pot ribs for my Mom's birthday dinner tonight and they were fuckin money. I was skeptical even when I put them under the broiler but they were great. Not as good as real smoked ribs, but considering I just threw them in the pot, hit a button, and ate them an hour later vs. setting up the Big Green Egg and watching it for 4 hours they were really tasty and I love the idea of having ribs for a weeknight supper without having to plan in advance.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'll have to start storing kitchen appliances in my living room or bedroom soon.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I have been skeptical of the kitchen gadget fads on this board but I tried the instant pot ribs for my Mom's birthday dinner tonight and they were fuckin money. I was skeptical even when I put them under the broiler but they were great. Not as good as real smoked ribs, but considering I just threw them in the pot, hit a button, and ate them an hour later vs. setting up the Big Green Egg and watching it for 4 hours they were really tasty and I love the idea of having ribs for a weeknight supper without having to plan in advance.
Which ribs? I'm thinking I might make some at Xmas.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'll have to start storing kitchen appliances in my living room or bedroom soon.

I'm pretty much at the same point, though I think if I end up getting an instant pot I can just throw my slow cooker into storage because the only thing I ever really use it for is pork shoulder and chuck roast/brisket and it seems like the pressure cooker can do just as good a job in 1/8th the time.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Which ribs? I'm thinking I might make some at Xmas.

I just googled up a recipe. This is the one I used, although I didn't follow it exactly.

Pressure Cooker Baby Back Ribs

I was pressed for time so I didn't bother with the dry rub, just cut off the silverskin, seasoned them with salt and pepper, threw them in the Instant Pot with half a cup of water and pressure cooked them on high for 30 minutes. Let it natural release for 15 minutes and then got tired of waiting and dumped the pressure, put them on a cookie sheet, brushed them with BBQ sauce, and put them under the broiler for 5 minutes. I did 3 racks which overfilled the pot a bit and I was really afraid that they would be tough but they were falling off the bone. I couldn't believe how much liquid came out of them. This morning I have like a quart and a half of gelled pork stock in my pot after only putting half a cup of liquid in.

I'm pretty much at the same point, though I think if I end up getting an instant pot I can just throw my slow cooker into storage because the only thing I ever really use it for is pork shoulder and chuck roast/brisket and it seems like the pressure cooker can do just as good a job in 1/8th the time.

I was very unimpressed with the pot roast I did in the pressure cooker. That said, the Instant Pot has a slow cook button so as far as I know you can use it for slow cooking as well although I haven't actually done that.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well for a true, traditional pot roast I'd probably go with the old fashioned dutch oven. Not a fan of doing slow cooker pot roast and throwing veggies in all at once for such a long time.

If the bigger cuts don't come out so good in the instant pot I guess I wouldn't want to throw a full chuck in it. I'm a disgusting carnivore though so I'll put a 4lb chuck roast into my slow cooker and eat just that for 3 days straight with no veggies or anything.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Yup, instant pot can just replace your slow cooker as it can do both. Hoping to make it over to a farm the next town over and finally get a hold of some good beef short ribs tomorrow. Also going to make my first attempt at making Greek yogurt in the instant pot this weekend.

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Homemade Pastrami!!!!!!

Christmas family meal is cooked!!

8lb brisket brined for 24 DAYS, soaked in water for last 24hours, cooked on Kamado Joe with mesquite wood chips for ~9 hours today low and slow. Finished at a perfect 205 degrees in center.

Tastes so good!!! Pastrami on Rye time!!!!!!

IMG_20171221_202241.jpg

IMG_20171221_195316.jpg

IMG_20171221_120252.jpg

• 1Like