Gravy's Cooking Thread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yup, instant pot can just replace your slow cooker as it can do both. Hoping to make it over to a farm the next town over and finally get a hold of some good beef short ribs tomorrow. Also going to make my first attempt at making Greek yogurt in the instant pot this weekend.

I got a yogurt incubator for like $2 years ago. It makes a quart at a time which is all you really need unless you want to eat a fuckton of yogurt. Instant pot is a bit overkill. Remember that yogurt is like 25% the milk used and 75% the bacteria used.

Usually using store bought yogurt as the starter turns out ok but for best results pick up some dry yogurt bacteria.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
One of the things I miss about California is hot pastrami sandwiches. I don't know if that's really a California thing but almost every bar had it on the menu in the bay area and I haven't seen one since I left. Ditto for tri-tip sandwiches. The rest of the world needs to get on this shit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hot pastrami is a Jewish NY Deli staple. Mountains of hot pastrami with spicy brown mustard on seeded rye.

About tri-tip and other "cheap cuts" of beef... only more affluent, upscale areas have places that serve it. Which you'd think wouldn't be the case but poor people probably don't even know what the fuck tri-tip is in this country anymore. It's backwards from the way it should be. It's like short ribs. Short ribs are still one of the cheaper cuts of beef (thankfully, we'll see if the hipsters can do to short ribs what they did to the price of flank steak) and people just don't buy it. They'll order it for $30 on a nice evening out though.... thinking it's some high end extravagant cut.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Which uses corned beef, not pastrami.

Please, tons of places interchange them anymore. Unless they never do so where you are because they live by some sandwich code. The smokey pastrami flavor is better anyway.

Khane

Please, tons of places interchange them anymore. Unless they never do so where you are because they live by some sandwich code. The smokey pastrami flavor is better anyway.

That's called a Rachel round these parts.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Pastrami is better, but as Khane said, that's a different sandwich.

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
Hey Flaw. Way to go on lots of those cooks! Gonna need that pastrami brine/rub recipe.

Have you done a redemption prime rib yet?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Turkey and Pastrami seem interchangeable in a Rachel.

The Rachel sandwich is a variation on the standard Reuben sandwich, substituting pastrami for the corned beef, and coleslaw for the sauerkraut.[13] Other recipes for the Rachel call for turkey instead of pastrami.[14][15] In some parts of the United States, especially Michigan, this turkey variant is known as a "Georgia Reuben" or "California Reuben", and it may also call for barbecue sauce or French dressing instead of Russian dressing.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Wait a minute anything with "California" in the name always means they just add avocado. That definition is questionable.