Gravy's Cooking Thread

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I love being anywhere in the world and being able to order a lobster roll that will hit your mouth in 20-48 hours. Fucking Yum!

Happy New Years everyone!!

20171231_192150-1.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Finally broke out the instant pot. Cooked two meals, some pinto beans and some carnitas.

Recipe for beans said it can cook beans from dry to done in 45 minutes. Mine were underdone, at 1 hour they were perfect. Still though, 1 hour for perfect beans is pretty good. I saw them using a pressure cooker on Top Chef to cook beans and I don't think they had an hour so I wonder if there is a way to short circuit that. For beans, if anyone is interested I throw in 4-5 cloves of crushes garlic, a fuckton of paprika, about 2 teaspoons of chili p, a quarter of an onion, about 2 tablespoons of salt, maybe a teaspoon of cumin, and a ham hock or ham bone I will have saved in the freezer.

Carnitas were done in 40 minutes. I used to always do the recipe in the first post of this thread, the no lard carnitas. But it's a pain in the ass and no matter what I do I always ennd up getting oil in the oven. This was super easy. I trimmed a ton of the fat, which I'm not normally very strict in doing. I cubed a whole pork shoulder, added about a tablesppon of cumin, 2 bay leaves, some salt and pepper, and 2 oranges quartered and squeezed over the meat. Came out super tender. Amazingly tender. Tasted very good. Next up, ribs.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
We had a ham for Christmas and just made up a pot of split pea soup with the ham bone. Took all of 30 minutes start to finish. Did a manual release on the instant pot and it's under so much pressure you don't even have to use the immersion blender.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I thought about that, it's hard to tell because I'm not sure what kind of lead time they got to prep with on the show, and the court order says I can't contact Padma anymore so I will have to guess.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a brisket in the sous vide for tomorrow night, I'm excited.

But even more than that, I have a massive amount of pork belly for a group of people coming Sunday. I've never done it at home before. I've only ever cooked it when I was a chef, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I have yet to attempt a pork belly anything. It's on my list.

I'd like to try doing it Cebu lechon style:
b2b9df4eb090ff6bae961435_original.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
... I literally have a list (thanks Google drive) of recipes I want to try to make. Currently it's:
Sisig
Crudo
Barbacoa
Cebu lechon pork belly
Carpaccio

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I made the Maghmour recipe from the post above tonight. It's outrageously good. I think I might roast the eggplant instead of frying next time though because the eggplant quarters absorb A LOT of oil.

That is definitely going in my normal rotation.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Okay, forget turkey for anything. Pork belly is not hard, and it's magical. So good.

How did that brisket turn out?

Made Salmon for the first time in the Sous Vide last night, best I've ever had texture wise. I just need to work on my seasoning.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
How did that brisket turn out?

Made Salmon for the first time in the Sous Vide last night, best I've ever had texture wise. I just need to work on my seasoning.

Brisket was amazing. It is very consistent cooking it in the sous vide and then finishing it in the oven. Get exactly the same result every time, and it's good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user