Gravy's Cooking Thread

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Hey Flaw. Way to go on lots of those cooks! Gonna need that pastrami brine/rub recipe.

Have you done a redemption prime rib yet?

Hey thanks man!

Have not done a redemption prime rib, never heard of it before.

Here's what I did, but I used an 8lb brisket, pink curing salt, and brined for 24 days, with a following 24 hour soak in water, replacing the water after first 12 hours.

Ingredients:
  • 1 (3 1/2 to 4-pound) Certified Angus Beef ® brisket flat
  • 3 quarts water, divided
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon curing salt, Instacure #1 (also known as Prague powder or saltpeter)
  • 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
  • 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
  • 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
  • 1 cinnamon stick, crushed in pieces
  • 8 whole allspice berries
  • 3 bay leaves, hand crushed
  • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
Instructions:
  1. In a large stockpot combine 1 1/2 quarts water, brown sugar, kosher salt, Instacure, coriander, mustard seeds, peppercorns, chili flakes, cinnamon, allspice and bay leaves. Bring to a boil to dissolve salt and sugar. Remove from heat. Add remaining 1 1/2 quarts of water in the form of ice and water to chill brine quickly. Cool to below 40°F.
  2. Lay brisket in a large container and cover with brine. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 6 days, turning every 2 days.
  3. Prepare smoker. Prepare smoker to a low temperature (200 - 225°F) with wood like apple and hickory. I cooked mine around 250 F entire time, took 8-9 hours. Wrapped in foil about 6 hours in where color was where I wanted it.
  4. Remove brisket from brine and rinse; discard brine. Thin layer of mustard on entire meat then Season evenly on all sides with 50% ground black pepper and 50% coriander
  5. Smoke on low for 7 hours until brisket’s internal temperature reaches 150°F. Wrap pastrami with two large sheets of aluminum foil and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 185°F, approximately 2 hours.
  6. Allow pastrami to rest 30 minutes, remaining wrapped. Slice thinly against the grain to serve.

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
I mean you didn’t seem too happy with your first cook. Have you done another with better results.

No I haven't yet. Probably will try to redeem myself with it soon. I also want to do a beef Wellington though. May do that first.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My daughter has been learning some things, and I watch these reality cooking tv shows and she watches with me. She wants to make a fucking chocolate souffle tomorrow. I told her it's really hard, I showed her the professional chefs on these shows fucking it up. But, you know, she's down so whatever I guess. I worry that if we fuck this up she will think she failed somehow.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I hear what you're saying, I have the same fear with my middle kid, who wants to do "fancy" cooking with me, too, but is also a sensitive kid. Make it a party environment the whole time along. That's not to say you're not taking the cooking seriously, but a happy, non-anxious presence from you throughout will go a long way if the souffle flops. Also, eat at least some of it, regardless.

I think it is awesome that you spend the time introducing your kids to this kind of thing. I recently went in to one of my kid's classrooms and made apple pie from scratch with the kids, just for kicks. Most of these kids didn't know you could cook apples. Show kids where food comes from, and that's awesome. Spend time watching shows with them that make them curious and want to try things? That's awesome, too. Spend the time to try it with them? That's awesome parenting.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
My daughter has been learning some things, and I watch these reality cooking tv shows and she watches with me. She wants to make a fucking chocolate souffle tomorrow. I told her it's really hard, I showed her the professional chefs on these shows fucking it up. But, you know, she's down so whatever I guess. I worry that if we fuck this up she will think she failed somehow.
"Hey look, we fucked it up just like 'random-shit-chef-on-bravo' did during that one episode. I think we're as good as him then."

Then go make cookies. Or Cannoli.

• 1Solidarity

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Unsatisfying :/

No disrespect intended, but something must be off. That is hands down the best mac n cheese on the planet. Jesus Christ would trade his left nut for a second helping of that stuff when prepared correctly because Heaven can't compete. If you're ever in the suburbs of Atlanta, head to Dave Poe's, or Sam's BBQ. Same recipe at both from two former partners who had a feud and started separate restaurants. Both will treat you right.

(Get the brisket at Dave's, or the pulled pork at Sam's.)

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

I made a cheese souffle after watching the Good Eats episode of it and I didn't really find it to be that difficult at all. The only thing that went wrong with mine was that it rose so high it hit my oven thermometer and lifted it off of its hook so there was an oven thermometer shaped indentation in the top.

Maybe I just got lucky but I don't think it's impossible at all.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So it turned out ok. Overdone, more of a cake-like consistency, didn't get a super great rise, they about tripled in size. So lessons learned, I think if we didn't use the convection oven and used traditional instead (things always seem to overcook int he convection oven) and used a larger sheet pan so there was more space between them it would have been better. Still though, bangin cake.Taste was amazing.

souffle.png

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think so. The important thing is, my daughter was happy. She'll be quite the little cook in about 10 years, I think.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I make this Eggnog every year and can't stop chugging it. This year was even better since the eggs were from our chickens instead of the store. I omit the alcohol in ours (addiction issues) but the amount used should get you nice and fucked up w/o realizing you are drinking booze.

Ingredients 8 servings 16 servings 24 servings
Fresh Eggs 4 8 12
Sugar 1/2 cup 1 cup 1 1/2 cups
White Rum 1 cup 2 cups 3 cups
Milk 1 1/2 cups 3 cups 4 1/2 cups
Whiskey 1 cup 2 cups 3 cups
Heavy Cream 1 cup 2 cups 3 cups
Ground Nutmeg Enough to sprinkle on servings.

Instructions

You are doing things gently and slowly to preserve the eggnog's fluffiness.
A good whisk for the stirring and a high speed mixer for the egg-whites and cream helps this process immensely

Separate eggs into yolks and whites in separate bowls. I put the whites into the mixer and the yolks into another bowl.
Beat egg-yolks with 1/2 of sugar, set aside.
Beat egg-whites until stiff, then mix in other 1/2 of sugar.
Pour the yolks into the whites and mix together slowly.
Stir in white rum slowly. I've tried dark rum and it works.
Stir in milk slowly (see below for dairy intolerance)
Stir in whiskey slowly (Bourbon, Canadian, Sour Mash. I use Jim Beam or Jack Daniels)
Stir in 1/2 of cream slowly
Whip rest (1/2) of cream and fold it into the mixture carefully. Notes on how to fold below.
Serve at room temperature by ladling the eggnog into cups and sprinkle nutmeg on the top. Information on nutmeg grinders below. Try to get some of the foam and some of the liquid (if not fully mixed) in each cup.

I just made this, and it is delicious. Super great!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
It's been a month since I had ceviche for the first time and I can't get it out of my head. So tasty. Perfect blend of sweet and sour (this one had watermelon).

I'd love to make one at home but there's no way I'd trust the fish in my little town to make it raw. I was looking at some recipes and there are a few that use cooked shrimp, which I think would work fine since cooked shrimp has a subtle light flavor.

Hmmmmm

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's been a month since I had ceviche for the first time and I can't get it out of my head. So tasty. Perfect blend of sweet and sour (this one had watermelon).

I'd love to make one at home but there's no way I'd trust the fish in my little town to make it raw. I was looking at some recipes and there are a few that use cooked shrimp, which I think would work fine since cooked shrimp has a subtle light flavor.

Hmmmmm

At your service. This is a copy of the ceviche I would get at Taco Bus in Tampa, Florida. It is distinctly different from Peruvian (true) ceviche and the Cuban style. For both appeal to larger customer pool and being made by Mexicanos. Other than here I have never had red ceviche anywhere.

Tasty AF and seems to be what you're looking for.

Ceviche | Absolutely Ravenous