Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of food I don't understand why it's so popular...avocado. Great ingredient provided you have the seasoning and texture to back it up. Otherwise, it's basically nature's shortening.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The key to good Pho is you have to add Cap 'N Crunch, Pringles, slices of avocado and a few cotton balls.

That-Sounds-Good-Ill-Have-That-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I dont understand the fascination with this pho shit. There is a supposedly really good one by us that everyone raves about so I went there at lunch one time and it was disappointing all around. Big bowl of watered down broth with noodles and a few pieces of beef. I had to add a 1/2 bottle of cock sauce to make it taste like anything.

Make yourself a good chicken soup,I use 2 whole chicken cut in 1/2 They are like $5 at kroger. I use left over chicken to make chicken salad the next day or whatever, kids love it with crackers. If you want beef broth, use beef shanks. Onion celery and carrot, fucking simple maybe some garlic curly parsley or any of that asian shit you want to add, like lemon grass?. Let that shit simmer down to intensify the flavor add fucking noodles of your choice and profit.

I just read its star anise, ginger and fish sauce. There is your leet secret to pho.

So short of asking some Vietnamese where they'd get pho. The key indicators of high quality Pho is thus:

1. When it is open? Pho is a breakfast thing in VN. If a place is open at like 7AM its by VN for VN. If it opens at 11/lunchtime its VN for white people.
2. Are tons of VN hanging around the place? Not the ones working there.
3. HQ Pho broth is very clear almost like water.
4. The menu is VN style. Basically all they have is Pho and maybe Com Tam and spring rolls.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Speaking of food I don't understand why it's so popular...avocado. Great ingredient provided you have the seasoning and texture to back it up. Otherwise, it's basically nature's shortening.

I like avocado because it's so versatile. Works on almost all sandwiches, as a topping on a breakfast scrambles, in salads, as a spread/dip. But yeah, it needs extra love for it to hit its full potential.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
A really good Hass avocado tastes pretty good all on its own, but guac is the best application!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I'm making "broth" I can't be bothered to skim, so I usually end up with "dirty" broth with all the scum proteins mixed in/hazing it up. Flavor's fine though; skimming has always been about presentation.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
All avacado really needs is some salt. But the only time I eat it by itself is when I cut into one and my plans for whatever I was making change.

Have you guys tried florida avacados? They're kinda sweet. Not good for guac, but better than haas on things like salads and sandwiches.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
When I'm making "broth" I can't be bothered to skim, so I usually end up with "dirty" broth with all the scum proteins mixed in/hazing it up. Flavor's fine though; skimming has always been about presentation.

Clear broth is for pussies.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Wife says 1st pho attempt is almost as good as our basic pho.

Think I need to get more bones with marrow, like shank

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm so ashamed of my entire life. I'd never been to a butcher shop until last month. I didn't know what I was missing.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The beef (especially the tri-tip) from the butcher has been great, and they're cheaper than the grocery store for all of it except for stuff like NY strips.

The chicken is about the same price or a little bit more, but God DAMN it's been a decade since I had a chicken breast that didn't taste like rubber. We've been keeping a "blacklist" of brands of chicken on the fridge for the last year, and it's almost every brand safeway carries now. At least in my area. The stuff from the butcher shop was amazing.

This is what I cooked it in, too. Love this stuff.

Vidilia-Onion-Georgia-Peach-Hot-Sauce.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't go to butcher shops anymore, but when I did I almost always went to this spot in Little Italy. Run by this old dude with a hunchback. Meat was so good. I'm also lucky to have carnicerias around me.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Avocado is turned into guac and guac goes on EVERY FUCKING THING

THAT'S why avocado is awesome

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The beef (especially the tri-tip) from the butcher has been great, and they're cheaper than the grocery store for all of it except for stuff like NY strips.

The chicken is about the same price or a little bit more, but God DAMN it's been a decade since I had a chicken breast that didn't taste like rubber. We've been keeping a "blacklist" of brands of chicken on the fridge for the last year, and it's almost every brand safeway carries now. At least in my area. The stuff from the butcher shop was amazing.

This is what I cooked it in, too. Love this stuff.

View attachment 163918
Try chicken from ethnic grocers like Mexican, Chinese or indian.

When I was in jersey I found the halal chicken to taste the best, followed by Mexican.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Found some Korean BBQ sauce at Kroger on Friday and picked up some boneless short ribs. I let them marinate over night and cooked them in the Sous Vide for 9 hours (Was supposed to be 11 but I didn't want to be fucking with them at 11pm at night).

Flavor turned out amazing, really tender too. I can't imagine cooking them for 36 hours on the other setting. They didn't look aesthetically pleasing so I didn't take any pictures.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Said "screw you" to the weather, and had a big group of friends over and grilled dinner. Salmon, shish kebab, burgers, chicken, asparagus, peppers, potatoes. It was delicious. It was summer food, and I've missed it, even though I love winter.

Salmon was marinated in soy sauce, veg oil, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. Kebabs were marinated in a brandy, soy sauce, ginger barbecue sauce. Potatoes were parboiled, and then roasted over hot coals. The veg were all done in olive oil, with plenty of salt and pepper, and lotsa garlic.

For dessert I made a lemon whipped cream base, covered it with black berries, and grated milk chocolate over it. Light and refreshing to end a meal of heavy protein.

I have happy food coma going on.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Found some Korean BBQ sauce at Kroger on Friday and picked up some boneless short ribs. I let them marinate over night and cooked them in the Sous Vide for 9 hours (Was supposed to be 11 but I didn't want to be fucking with them at 11pm at night).

Flavor turned out amazing, really tender too. I can't imagine cooking them for 36 hours on the other setting. They didn't look aesthetically pleasing so I didn't take any pictures.
was it bibigo?
large_ca8284fb-8773-40da-b966-619207b7b184.jpg

my korean friends use the plain cj brand korean bbq sauce

bibigo is like the premium version/restaurant of that

i don't know why my friends (korean)prefer the red version, maybe see if kroger has that? also did you just get "korean bbq" or like bulgogi sauce?