Gravy's Cooking Thread

khorum

Murder Apologist
Eh, the thing with these diets is less about the diet itself and more about the fact that you're actually paying close attention to what you eat and generally eating healthier because of it. I did paleo a few years ago (which really isn't very different from keto) and had a lot of success, but ultimately I think it was just all around healthier eating.
Absolutely true. It's about MINDFULNESS about what you eat.

So install a food journalling app. LoseIt! lets you use your phone's camera to scan barcodes and scrapes the caloric/carb info from the internet---and fitbit/iwatch/etc lets you track your caloric burnrate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I make pizzas on some low carb wraps, they have a whole bunch now. Of course it not real pizza which is 60% bread, but its good and close enough. It turns out like a crispy thin crust and its actually pretty fucking good. I hate cheat days because you feel so fucking guilty, or at least I do. Plus for some when youre knocked out of keto, it takes days to get back.

They sell a square pita pocket thing around me that I use for sanwich and burgers. I think its like 16g per whole pita. I have like 2 on some days, tastes almost like the real thing. Bonus all that low carb shit fills you up big time because its mostly fiber and more protein. But im to the point now that rarely I have cravings anymore. I dont even think about it anymore. First few months it was bad, but now, 3 yrs later? I find regular carby food disgusting and it really makes you feel like shit.

Its pretty much a way of life for me, and one more bonus is that my kids and wife are learning how to eat healthier, not that I push this shit on them, but they just do like you do. They ask questions and you answer.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
To each his own, but I find that rather than try to make that fake bread/sweets stuff I just schedule a cheat day or so per month and eat the real thing. No fake pizza was ever as good as real pizza. I do make the 90 second bread, but mostly for convenience, you can make a sandwich or something without the carbs of the tortilla.

That Keto Bark looks interesting, 3g of carbs per serving, might be worth it though.

my problem is im weak, if i fall off its game over. Some people are also extremely sensitive to carbs/sweets. So if they knocked themselves out of keto it's a two week wait before you get back into ketosis. I just didn't want to take the chance so I was pretty strict about it.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You can also get these frozen Keto pizzas, the crust is made from chicken/Parmesan but I didn't like them.
Picture14-2.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
LMAO what's a "really healthy" 3200-cal/day diet for an obese fuck who sits on his ass all day?
skim milk,eggs,multi-grain bread, brown rice, oats, chicken, beef, turkey, mixed fruit/veg, protein shakes, etc make up almost all my diet. I have some yogurt, cheese, sausage, sweets here and there.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
my problem is im weak, if i fall off its game over. Some people are also extremely sensitive to carbs/sweets. So if they knocked themselves out of keto it's a two week wait before you get back into ketosis. I just didn't want to take the chance so I was pretty strict about it.

I know some are more sensitivge to others, but I read the longer youre in keto and your body adjustst to it, the shorter the time to get back into keto it is once youre knocked the fuck out. Plus you have to find your threshold. For some its like 50g for others they can go up to 100g and still stay in keto.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'd be happier if we had a steak derail again. This is trash.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you are trying to eat Keto cheap you should probably steer clear of all the "Keto Substitution" foods. Like keto breads, wraps and pastas. They tend to be very expensive comparatively and also... in my opinion... taste like shit. The only thing I've ever had that I actually prefer to the real deal is Heinz Low Carb Ketchup which I think is now just called reduced sugar. It's got a lot more vinegar bite because of the lack of sugar and I love vinegar.

What I have found over the years is that when you want to add flavor to your meats and vegetables with low carb sauces and marinades look to East Asia. Umami is where it's at plus there are a ton of tasty curry/chili pastes that are low in sugar or can have the sugar completely removed from the recipe and still taste great. Sambal Oelek for example. So delicious.

As Brutul said Pork especially the fattier cuts like the shoulder steaks or "country style ribs" are real cheap. Dark meat chicken (thighs, legs) is cheap as well (and I prefer dark meat, anyone who says otherwise is crazy). Around here beef is stupid expensive but you can still get some quality cuts if you go fatty with short ribs or chuck roast. They take much longer to cook but are delicious when done right and are pretty versatile.

All in all you are going to have to learn to cook and put some effort into it if you want to eat Keto for cheap. So if you say breaking down a chicken is more work than you're willing to do you're basically already admitting defeat. With a cheap pair of kitchen shears you can break down a chicken in like 5 minutes, it's not difficult at all. But you're gonna have to get over your "food laziness". Most people who eat like shit don't do it because the crap they eat really tastes better than what they could make at home. They just don't want to deal with cooking + the mess it leaves that requires cleanup.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I love me some staeaks, but cant eat that shit regularly because its too expensive. If it was for me and wife alone, we could manage to eat them every day, but having fucking teen kids, both 6ft tall +, well they like the steaks too. So its like $50+ for stake night. So around my house its a monthly thing, or maybe bonus if I find them for like $7/lb.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
I love me some staeaks, but cant eat that shit regularly because its too expensive. If it was for me and wife alone, we could manage to eat them every day, but having fucking teen kids, both 6ft tall +, well they like the steaks too. So its like $50+ for stake night. So around my house its a monthly thing, or maybe bonus if I find them for like $7/lb.
Keto can get expensive but the trick is mastering eggs, good pork cuts and breaking down whole chickens. All those tricks with cauliflower rice and pizza crusts or the glucommannan/shirataki zero-net carb pastas are realllly expensive.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Keto can get expensive but the trick is mastering eggs, good pork cuts and breaking down whole chickens. All those tricks with cauliflower rice and pizza crusts or the glucommannan/shirataki zero-net carb pastas are realllly expensive.

Jacques Pepin for my money is the greatest chef in the past hundred years. Know how he tested new cooks? Eggs. Make me an egg. You learn so much about how a person cooks and treats food from that simple task.

Learning how to fabricate or break down chicken is something everyone should learn. A whole chicken costs 4-7$ and you can make anything from it. Hell I even pince chicken bones and make a deceiving glacé from it.

TLDR Khorum’s Post is awesome.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Using an over easy egg as a condiment is also one of life's greatest hacks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea, last month wife had to bring in breakfast for the team, i don't know why, so i just made a Lanx chinese croissant sausage/egg/cheese.

Now my chinese croissants are banging, ever since i got that dutch oven, but it's my fried eggs is what makes the sandwich.

high-heat trusted cast iron, w/ a dab coconut oil/butter, drop eggs, season, cover and turn off heat. 5mins later you get this super crust bottom and gooey yolk.

When i have ppl over, i only make this egg, i don't do poached or scrambled or sunny side up, they can fuck up their own damn eggs if they want.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for all the replies, guys, I need to go back through and read closer when I get a bit more time.

oh yea, great point, why does these fake shitty noodles stink to holy hell? cuz you're eating chemical bath water, lol.

yea, pharmakos pharmakos give us

copy and paste the answers

a. your budget ($600/mo it seems)
b. your cooking level
c. your ability to cook (weakend cancer state)
d. what can/can't you eat
e. what types of ethnicity

$600 a month includes bills and other expenses. My food budget is more like $200-$300. I don't own a sous vide, instant pot, or even a slow cooker, but otherwise I guess I'm a good cook? Not that cooking is very difficult in general.

Weakened state after chemo is going to be the clincher, it gets hard to stand for more than 10-15 minutes at a time for the first month or two of recovery... But that's also probably going to be the most important time to go keto.

My favorite ethnicity is TexMex style. Italian is great too. My favorite Asian meals are usually with sweet sauces and rice, so those will be no go, but I could stir fry some Asian style veggies easily.

A balanced diet with variety is infinitely better you retarded faggots
Eh, the thing with these diets is less about the diet itself and more about the fact that you're actually paying close attention to what you eat and generally eating healthier because of it. I did paleo a few years ago (which really isn't very different from keto) and had a lot of success, but ultimately I think it was just all around healthier eating.

Seen a few posts like this, so I guess a reminder -- I'm interested in keto because a strict keto diet is one of the few alternative cancer treatments that actually has some merit to it. Weight loss is going to be an unwanted side effect, I'm a fairly healthy weight already.

I don't even want to risk cheat days. The key is cutting out sugars, cancer soaks up and burns through simple carbs extremely quickly.

All in all you are going to have to learn to cook and put some effort into it if you want to eat Keto for cheap. So if you say breaking down a chicken is more work than you're willing to do you're basically already admitting defeat. With a cheap pair of kitchen shears you can break down a chicken in like 5 minutes, it's not difficult at all. But you're gonna have to get over your "food laziness". Most people who eat like shit don't do it because the crap they eat really tastes better than what they could make at home. They just don't want to deal with cooking + the mess it leaves that requires cleanup.

I normally love cooking, am just concerned about the amount of energy I'll have after chemo (this will be my fifth time doing chemo, gets harder to recover each time).

Thanks again guys, will go through all these replies more closely soon. :)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Girlfriend sous vides for you everyday and she isn't your wife yet?????
What?!? She's not the one that bought it, hacked it into two loving portions, seasoned it, vacu sealed it and stuffed the freezer full of em! The main reason I love the sous vide is because I can't get her to cook otherwise.

She only remembers to throw it in the sous vide and push start if I relentlessly remind her. As punishment any time she forgets, the first thing I do when I get home is strip naked and pound a 6-pack on an empty stomach, then stand in front of the tv and eat a full sleeve of saltines over the carpet. Once my hunger is sated, I lock her in a closet under the stairs with "MMMBop" playing on repeat until the tri tip is done....at 8pm.

• 1Like