Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'd invest in an inexpensive slow cooker. I know you're on a tight budget, but you'll need something reliable that you don't have to babysit.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks for all the replies, guys, I need to go back through and read closer when I get a bit more time.

$600 a month includes bills and other expenses. My food budget is more like $200-$300. I don't own a sous vide, instant pot, or even a slow cooker, but otherwise I guess I'm a good cook? Not that cooking is very difficult in general.

Weakened state after chemo is going to be the clincher, it gets hard to stand for more than 10-15 minutes at a time for the first month or two of recovery... But that's also probably going to be the most important time to go keto.

My favorite ethnicity is TexMex style. Italian is great too. My favorite Asian meals are usually with sweet sauces and rice, so those will be no go, but I could stir fry some Asian style veggies easily.

Seen a few posts like this, so I guess a reminder -- I'm interested in keto because a strict keto diet is one of the few alternative cancer treatments that actually has some merit to it. Weight loss is going to be an unwanted side effect, I'm a fairly healthy weight already.

I don't even want to risk cheat days. The key is cutting out sugars, cancer soaks up and burns through simple carbs extremely quickly.

I normally love cooking, am just concerned about the amount of energy I'll have after chemo (this will be my fifth time doing chemo, gets harder to recover each time).

Thanks again guys, will go through all these replies more closely soon. :)

Thanks for all the replies, guys, I need to go back through and read closer when I get a bit more time.

$600 a month includes bills and other expenses. My food budget is more like $200-$300. I don't own a sous vide, instant pot, or even a slow cooker, but otherwise I guess I'm a good cook? Not that cooking is very difficult in general.

Weakened state after chemo is going to be the clincher, it gets hard to stand for more than 10-15 minutes at a time for the first month or two of recovery... But that's also probably going to be the most important time to go keto.

My favorite ethnicity is TexMex style. Italian is great too. My favorite Asian meals are usually with sweet sauces and rice, so those will be no go, but I could stir fry some Asian style veggies easily.

Seen a few posts like this, so I guess a reminder -- I'm interested in keto because a strict keto diet is one of the few alternative cancer treatments that actually has some merit to it. Weight loss is going to be an unwanted side effect, I'm a fairly healthy weight already.

I don't even want to risk cheat days. The key is cutting out sugars, cancer soaks up and burns through simple carbs extremely quickly.

I normally love cooking, am just concerned about the amount of energy I'll have after chemo (this will be my fifth time doing chemo, gets harder to recover each time).

Thanks again guys, will go through all these replies more closely soon. :)
I'd invest in an inexpensive slow cooker. I know you're on a tight budget, but you'll need something reliable that you don't have to babysit.

Eh? I have a slow cooker, and the sous vide is definitely easier and requires less babysitting. With a freezer full of vacusealed shit, it literally takes 45 seconds to start dinner.
I normally fucking hate kitchen gadgets, so everyone in RL thinks it's hilarious that I'm a sous vide zealot now. It's just a bonus that I'm spending way fucking less on better meals now. Can buy in bulk and nothing goes to waste with the vacusealer.

pharmakos pharmakos - PM me your shipping address and I'll buy you a sous vide.
Don't take it as charity. It's just that I'm that convinced that I'm right, and I think it'll make your life a whole lot easier. A vacuumsealer really is an essential part, though. That's the money-saving part.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
For sure, I have a sous vide as well and I love it, I'm just considering his costs and activity level, etc.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The whole idea of a keto diet makes sense to me and doesn't seem too hard to follow. But I think I like Mexican food too much. It's a weakness. I can make chips and guac into a meal. And few things are better than a burrito.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Mmmmmm burritos.

Though to be fair you aren't really going to be eating burritos on a low fat diet either.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
We all know what real Mexican looks like.

1526536045694.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You work in beef? Yo, hook me up. Where is the best place I can get full select tenderloins cheap?

Can't help you sorry, I'm earlier than that in the process. If you want to buy a 600 lb calf and fatten it to butcher size yourself, I can hook you up.

My favorite Asian meals are usually with sweet sauces and rice, so those will be no go, but I could stir fry some Asian style veggies easily.

When you want to stir fry without sugar...

51WHctQKAQL._SY450_.jpg
0024463061040.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Mmmmmm burritos.

Though to be fair you aren't really going to be eating burritos on a low fat diet either.

True. It's a terribly glorious food item. I would have to switch to alambres which I guess wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The whole idea of a keto diet makes sense to me and doesn't seem too hard to follow. But I think I like Mexican food too much. It's a weakness. I can make chips and guac into a meal. And few things are better than a burrito.

You don't realize how much sugar is in everything you eat until you cut it from your diet. I rarely eat sweats, but after one week on Keto I would have murdered my own mother for a Snickers bar. I would try to find restaurants to eat at and discover almost everything, including salads had as much sugar in them as a can of coke.

When people would say "sugar is a drug" I always thought they were full of shit until I went through Keto the first time, I think companies know how addictive it is and put it in everything to keep you coming back.

Surprisingly the only place I found I could eat at on my cheat day that didn't have sugar was Popeye's spicy tenders.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i did food wishes baked chicken

in my air fryer 390 at 35mins really melts the baking powder

then i used this buffalo sauce part
butter
ketchup
hotsauce
honey

somehow the ketchup and honey work really well.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Here's the quarry tile 6x6
PHOTO_20180520_152650.jpg

I plan to cut 6 more to tray length, after I'm done with the floor tiles, and leave in oven

PHOTO_20180520_152650.jpg

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've been eating a ton of chicken, beef and greens for the last 2 months or so.

We had some friends and family over this weekend and did the lazy approach on Friday - Papa Murphy's pizza, chips and salad. Gut rot ever since.

Ungh. I need to lay off the cheese.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

You can make some excellent burrito using low carb wraps. I make wraps like that all the time stuffed with anything from steak, chicken, to shrimp . Cheese, veggies, guac, is all keto friendly. They have wraps now that are like 4g net carbs. No they are not like the real thing, but close and can definitely be used as wrap vehicle for all kinds of shit from taco, to breakfast burrito.

Honestly keto is like the easiest diet, easy in that there is no measuring, no weighing. Like a dude that I sit by at work, constantly weighing everything, including oatmeal and shit. I laugh. Hes on the "caloric restriction" diet, and while sure that shit works, its not conducive to life. Fucking go out to eat and see if you can measure that shit, its a very rough guess at best, and at worst its 1000 calories off, lol.

You can make a ton of shit ahead of time, its great in that respect. And the food just fills you up, you are never hungry. Some days when im busy I will eat only one time, and not eat the rest of the day and im not even hungry. The first few months, yeah, you will miss the shit out of carbs. The breads, the chips, the pretzels, fries. What made it even harder for me is the kids just snacking on the shit all the time around me. But it gets easier and in fact can be a lifestyle change easily. Im 3 yrs in now and while I slacked off on the hardcore keto shit, I still abide by a very low carb diet. 3 fucking yers now. I dont even crave the shit anymore. Ask yourself whaich other diet you could do for 3 yrs without going bonkers weighing and measuring and all sorts of gymnastics to make it work.

One thing is real clear to me now is that carbs are definitely addictive as shit. You can literally sit down and eat llike 1/2 bag of chips or pretzels or whatever, and 15 min later be hungry for more. Ive had many cheat days through my keto journey and this has become quite apparent and people dont even realize it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's difficult if you're trying to stay strict on it. So many of the foods we eat at restaurants basically revolve around carbs. That makes things a pain. It's difficult with kids too, especially young kids, you end up having to make multiple meals. And you do miss things, like Mexican food, or pizza, or actual burgers on bread (you never notice how much of a difference that makes until it's gone) but it's manageable. And yeah, have a cheat day every couple of months or something.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I found some pita pockets that are square and like 14g carbs for the whole thing. Cut in 1/2 They toast up quite nice and open up in the toaster and they get all crispy and this is what I use for burgers and sammies. For pizza I use flatout wrap. Like 9g carbs, put the shit on it and bake it, again, its not like real thing, but a nice crisp thin crust. Other than that we just eat a lot of chicken, beef roatsts, shit like that. Make all the sides the kids like but dont eat them.

I have a good indian joint by me, all you can eat lunch buffet and they have a shit ton of stuff that is low carb. If I eat there at lunch im pretty much set for the whole day. Stuff like tandoori chicken, topped with some butter chicken sauce. They usually have what they call "chicken kabob" which is pieces of breast meat and thinly sliced peppers, onion, cabbage, a bit of carrot. And they usually have some type of fried chicken dish like chicken 65 or lemon chicken, which does have some carb content in it because its lightly battered, but still I dont even worry about it now.

Just this weekend the wife and I went to mexican restaurant and I had a huge heaping plate of fajita, steak chicken, and peppers and onion. Topped it with some lettuce tomato and guac and then some hot home salsa they had, didnt even need wraps. Another good place by my work is Mongolian BBQ, which is build your own lunch type place where they grill the shit on a huge round grill after you put the shit into a bowl you want grilled. Its like $12 and they have shit like thinly sliced steak, chicken, sausage, all kinds of veggies. Pretty much a keto wet dream. You learn to stack like 5lbs of beef and chicken into your bowl. Just stay away from the rice and wraps. Have lunch there and usually enough left over for dinner that night. I usually see bodybuilders in there gorging themselves on chicken and steak, becaue its that cheap.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Mexican food with no beans and tortillas is like sacrilege!

This weekend I took my family out to a pizza place that does other stuff as well, took some digging but they did have one item on the menu I could eat, and it was good, but it was roast chicken, which, you know, it's good but I could do that myself. That kind of thing happens a lot, and I've never been the "bunless burger" type. Trying to stay well under 20g, it gets hard at times. I've cut out the low carb tortillas and all that almond/coconut flour stuff to keep myself lower. I didn't realize how many carbs were in some of the veggies I was eating until recently, kale etc has a lot.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I did low carb / keto in the past with great results. I tried recently and it totally fucked my stomach up. I was pissing out of my ass the entire time. I don't know why, but it caused me to call it quits a couple weeks in.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I did low carb / keto in the past with great results. I tried recently and it totally fucked my stomach up. I was pissing out of my ass the entire time. I don't know why, but it caused me to call it quits a couple weeks in.

Were you eating nothing but salads? What about coffee? Because that does it to me everytime. Salads + Black Coffee = Stay close to a bathroom.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
No salads, really. I was eating tons of veggies and proteins. Coffee in the morning, for sure, but no more than usual. I'm on meds now that I wasn't on years ago, when I did keto before. They could be a factor.