Gravy's Cooking Thread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Tried my hand at Chashu Pork Belly and Ajitama.

I nailed the Ajitama Eggs and those were really easy. Need to refine my pork belly though. Flavor needs to be stronger and overall more succulent.

IMG_20180603_164350.jpgIMG_20180603_091404.jpgIMG_20180603_091401.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>

I nailed the Ajitama Eggs and those were really easy. Need to refine my pork belly though. Flavor needs to be stronger and overall more succulent.

View attachment 167781View attachment 167782View attachment 167783
Your eggs look great but two things about your pork belly.

For proper Chashu you need to roll the belly up and tie it with twine. Also it should always be simmering with other ingredients you want to flavor it with. Soy, ginger, sriracha, garlic, scallions, sake, etc etc. Go nuts with it and add beer and shit. You cooked it flat on it's own in the pan and while that is still ok, you are losing a LOT of flavor in the pork because of moisture loss. Rolling up your pork retains a lot more flavor and moisture and you need other things around it to flavor it.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Your eggs look great but two things about your pork belly.

For proper Chashu you need to roll the belly up and tie it with twine. Also it should always be simmering with other ingredients you want to flavor it with. Soy, ginger, sriracha, garlic, scallions, sake, etc etc. Go nuts with it and add beer and shit. You cooked it flat on it's own in the pan and while that is still ok, you are losing a LOT of flavor in the pork because of moisture loss. Rolling up your pork retains a lot more flavor and moisture and you need other things around it to flavor it.

Well aware. The Korean supermarket doesn't sell the right cut for that. They seem to prefer the brick cut rather than the flatter one that rolls up real nice. There's tons of recipes for using either cut. But I understand its less... traditional.

Will use the bigger pot next time so I don't have to cut it up and I have a proper drop lid now as opposed to my MacGyver shit.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Well aware. The Korean supermarket doesn't sell the right cut for that.
That's lame. I have a butcher I go to that will do the cuts I need on the fly. You should try asking. Either way, you should have something else in with the pork while it cooks to absorb some flavor, flat or rolled.

Props on it though dude. Not an easy dish and still looks really tasty.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 167781View attachment 167782View attachment 167783
i can't give anything useful on chashu, cuz you know, i only know how to cook the vastly superior chinese charsui

just look at it
cs5.jpg

I have put chinese char siu in ramen before, it's like an explosion of flavor (tho depending on the restaurant, recipe, it might be TOO sweet, they tend to use alot of molassas)

strictly dumpling has a good video on it

It differs from my recipe, but thats a family hand me down recipe, imo you can omit the fermented tofu.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I don't care what any of you say, TJT's food looks delicious, and I'd like an invitation to his place to eat a lot of it.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't care what any of you say, TJT's food looks delicious, and I'd like an invitation to his place to eat a lot of it.
but it would be even more better w/ the OG char sui, what you two do afterwards from carb overloard, i don't want to know.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That Char Siu doesn't appear to be pork belly though... What cut is it?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
well, found out that the doctor doesn't want me to do any more chemotherapy for now (switching to immunotherapy soon), so i decided to start keto now instead of in a few months like originally planned.

so far so good... salads, bacon, eggs, venison.... sour cream and guac on the venison... lots of cheese on everything.

i can't handle spicy foods too well anymore, which takes away a lot of the plans i had... but i'm already thinking after a few days that i'll have an easier time doing this than i first anticipated.

thanks again for all the advice, guys, going to read back through it all looking for more cheap meal inspiration.

• 2Like