Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That Char Siu doesn't appear to be pork belly though... What cut is it?
Belly or loin, of course belly will give you super juicy, loin is more common, I think.

Restaurants will do pork belly. U have good access to an asian area? Try that out first, they hang duck and char sui in the window.
hi0616_fantasy_duck.jpg

*edit this was supposed to post on fri, was just draft on phone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well, found out that the doctor doesn't want me to do any more chemotherapy for now (switching to immunotherapy soon), so i decided to start keto now instead of in a few months like originally planned.

so far so good... salads, bacon, eggs, venison.... sour cream and guac on the venison... lots of cheese on everything.

i can't handle spicy foods too well anymore, which takes away a lot of the plans i had... but i'm already thinking after a few days that i'll have an easier time doing this than i first anticipated.

thanks again for all the advice, guys, going to read back through it all looking for more cheap meal inspiration.
if you can't do spice, do some herbs, fuck, go plant a garden.

you in an apt w/ at least one railing? get one of those planters, or just get a hanging basket.

i think it's "late" in the growing season so you might find plants on sale, i did at my menards, i asked them "is there anything wrong w/ em??" (since i'm a total garden noob) and they said no, ppl who would have bought them, would have by now, so they just get rid of em cheap.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
any of you keto guys ever invest in the meter / blood test doohickeys? any recommendations on brand if so?

if i was just doing it for weight loss i wouldn't bother, but i figure in my situation it might be worth the investment to know for sure i'm in ketosis.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Belly or loin, of course belly will give you super juicy, loin is more common, I think.

Restaurants will do pork belly. U have good access to an asian area? Try that out first, they hang duck and char sui in the window.
View attachment 167940
*edit this was supposed to post on fri, was just draft on phone.

Yeah the place that has this is where I go for banging shitty American style Chinese food. Not a fan of Peking duck though myself. Never actually bought the BBQ there either. Supposedly their actual Chinese menu is delicious but I've never tried it. There's another one for that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah the place that has this is where I go for banging shitty American style Chinese food. Not a fan of Peking duck though myself. Never actually bought the BBQ there either. Supposedly their actual Chinese menu is delicious but I've never tried it. There's another one for that.
Just wanted to clarify, the Peking duck, is this the Peking duck you order from menu, or are you talking about the hanging ducks in window? The hanging ducks in window are cantonese roast duck (or duck bbq, etc) and cost like 20bucks for half a duck, whereas Peking duck costs like 60bucks for half a duck and thats cus it's prepped in advance (has air blown in to separate/dry out skin) and is served w/ dough pancakes/scallions
peking-duck-recipe-12.jpg

yea try out the char siu, just get half a rack, it's probably 10bucks (they'll serve it as a meal also, so specifiy if you want meal vs. just the rack), and they'll cleaver it up, if they're hanging their meat, it's good.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
any of you keto guys ever invest in the meter / blood test doohickeys? any recommendations on brand if so?

if i was just doing it for weight loss i wouldn't bother, but i figure in my situation it might be worth the investment to know for sure i'm in ketosis.

The blood testing stuff is usually pretty expensive. If you just want to know if you are in ketosis or not, use the urine test strips.

The actual levels don't matter as much as knowing if you are excreting ketones because you only produce ketones in ketosis.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've read that those urine strips are unreliable at best. And I've read people who swear by it.

imo, it's overkill. If you're maintaining less than 20g of carbs, you're doing it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm well under 20g each of the last few days. For awhile right after chemo, my stomach was doing horribly, and I ended up mainly just eating popsicles. I'm craving popsicles pretty hard haha. Guess I need to find out if they make zero calorie popsicles... Did some research and it seems like most artificial sweeteners are still okay for keto, in moderation.

Almost screwed myself over, tho -- forgot Tums has sugar in it. Some days I eat 6-8 Tums in a day when my stomach is doing real bad. Gotta figure out a zero calorie alternative to those.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sugar free antacids seem pretty rare but they're out there. The sugar free popsicles still say they have 4g of carbs in them, I wonder if that's sugar alcohols or something else.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I've read that those urine strips are unreliable at best. And I've read people who swear by it.

imo, it's overkill. If you're maintaining less than 20g of carbs, you're doing it.

The strips are unreliable for testing your levels acurately, yes, but they only react to ketones so they are perfect for telling if you are producing them (and thus excreting them).

As far as popsicles, you could make your own with flavored waters like La Croix or Bubly. I stopped drinking diet soda altogether once I found La Croix. Additionally, sparkling water is good for your bones and helps settle some peoples' stomachs.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So it's not a cooking question, but this is the thread I've been told should give the best keto advice.

I'll be on the road for a long time next Monday, what do you keto guys do for eating on the go?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
beef jerky (which you can make yourself, and is delicious), nuts, small sausages, sunflower seeds, etc. I used to make these baked egg cups which are good for on the go.

• 1Solidarity

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

NVM, already answered.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
pharmakos pharmakos - PM me your shipping address and I'll buy you a sous vide.
Don't take it as charity. It's just that I'm that convinced that I'm right, and I think it'll make your life a whole lot easier. A vacuumsealer really is an essential part, though. That's the money-saving part.

Got the sous vide today, thanks so much Bandwagon Bandwagon . Next stop -- the meat market. Will let you guys know how sous videing goes. :)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nice! you'll have fun with that, lots of really cool things you can do. I still haven't tried eggs, always wanted to though.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Got the sous vide today, thanks so much Bandwagon Bandwagon . Next stop -- the meat market. Will let you guys know how sous videing goes. :)
Nice! Good luck, man. Get some tri tip and keep us updated.
Nice! you'll have fun with that, lots of really cool things you can do. I still haven't tried eggs, always wanted to though.
I'm making hard boiled eggs in it right now. Kinda excessive, but my mom is coming into town tomorrow to meet her granddaughter, and she loves hard boiled eggs. The texture when doing them in the sous vide is nice.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
When were on road trips, obvioulsy im like the only one eating keto and shit, so what I do when we stop at some fast food is orer up a couple of grilled chicken breast sammies and throw away the bun. Most fast food places have this.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
When were on road trips, obvioulsy im like the only one eating keto and shit, so what I do when we stop at some fast food is orer up a couple of grilled chicken breast sammies and throw away the bun. Most fast food places have this.

My doctor's appointment is in Farmington Hills. Pretty sure I'm going to do exactly this at the Chick Fil A in Rochester on our way back up north.