Gravy's Cooking Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Right now at this very moment im in Farm Hills, 12 mile and Halstead.

Good luck with your doc appointment, bro, hoping for some good news.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Went to the local mom & pop grocery store instead of driving out to the meat market. Couldn't find as many cheap cuts there as I was hoping for. Picked up a Denver steak from Chuck, a pack of cheap but decent looking pork chops, a big bag of boneless chicken breasts because they were on sale, and a single 0.69pound sirloin steak to treat myself with.

Going to make the sirloin tonight... Vacuum sealed it after seasoning it with Lawry's seasoning salt and garlic powder. Dropped a couple tablespoons of butter in the bag with it. Going to do it in the sous vide @ 134°F for ~1:30h, then finish it off in a cast iron frying pan, with the juices from the bag poured in.

My mouth is already watering. :)

Need to figure out how to add more fat to it for keto purposes. Maybe I'll put a big dollop of sour cream on it.

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I like to finish steaks with butter. Makes a nice little sauce on it's own, and will help you out.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I spent the last 4 hours prepping & vacuum sealing a bunch of chicken and tri tip. Mixed up some dry rub for the tri tip using our own dehydrated Walla Walla sweet onions, ground up. Bit of garlic salt and ground cloves, too.

I took 8 of the chicken breasts out and tried some new stuff. Made cordon bleu sans bread crumbs out of two, and I butterflied the rest and stuffed them with pesti, fresh basil, mozz, spinach and butter. Really looking forward to those when family comes in this weekend.

My lady's dad is (possibly) bringing us 20lbs of Elk, too. I don't know if I've even ever had Elk. What do I expect here? Is it really gamey? I had some grass--fed longhorn when I lived on Maui and it wasn't my thing. Not sure what to do with the Elk if he brings it up.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Went to the local mom & pop grocery store instead of driving out to the meat market. Couldn't find as many cheap cuts there as I was hoping for. Picked up a Denver steak from Chuck, a pack of cheap but decent looking pork chops, a big bag of boneless chicken breasts because they were on sale, and a single 0.69pound sirloin steak to treat myself with.

Going to make the sirloin tonight... Vacuum sealed it after seasoning it with Lawry's seasoning salt and garlic powder. Dropped a couple tablespoons of butter in the bag with it. Going to do it in the sous vide @ 134°F for ~1:30h, then finish it off in a cast iron frying pan, with the juices from the bag poured in.

My mouth is already watering. :)

Need to figure out how to add more fat to it for keto purposes. Maybe I'll put a big dollop of sour cream on it.
I got my girlfriend to follow Joe Rogan's instagram so we could look out for his meal pictures. You should check it out. ;) Can't go wrong with beef & jalepenos, eh?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Did you find that when you looked at pictures of elk meat on his instagram it made you more aggressive? Jamie, pull up that picture of that jacked wolf. How big you think his hog is? Absolute unit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
IMG_20180613_204739.jpg

chaos chaos I did finish it off with butter :). Did a lazy sauce by just dumping the bag juices over it when I seared it, and dumped the pan contents over it once it made it to the plate.

Pretty damn good :). Thanks a ton Bandwagon Bandwagon and everyone else that gave tips.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My favorite is when he starts giving his guests wild game from his freezer. Fucking cracks me up.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My favorite is when he starts giving his guests wild game from his freezer. Fucking cracks me up.

That right there is my brother in law. One time the fucker tried to give me a deer leg, fur and hoove still attached. I was like, WTF am I gonna do with this? GTF outta here. lol.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
A friend in Colorado hunts and I visited one time for Thanksgiving. It was a meat smorgasbord. Elk, elk veal, pronghorn, boar, smoked chicken wings. It was awesome.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
My herbs are doing fucking fantastic this spring; I have made caprese salads three times in the past month. Steady and I added it to shells and smoked chicken for a twist on pasta salad - so incredibly simple and fucking delicious (I added a little extra seasoning to brighten, fresh lime juice, garlic powder, black pepper, a few red pepper flakes) so good room temp and cold both.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I did low carb / keto in the past with great results. I tried recently and it totally fucked my stomach up. I was pissing out of my ass the entire time. I don't know why, but it caused me to call it quits a couple weeks in.

Finding a source of fiber I find is essential to making keto work long term.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone ever had a sous vide break on them right away? Went to use it again today and it doesn't power up at all, LCD and power button don't light up.

Called customer service of the company that makes it, they told me to just return it to the place it was from. Going to be a hassle since it was a gift, tho. I swear I have the worst luck.

Already PMing Bandwagon about it <3

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone ever had a sous vide break on them right away? Went to use it again today and it doesn't power up at all, LCD and power button don't light up.

Called customer service of the company that makes it, they told me to just return it to the place it was from. Going to be a hassle since it was a gift, tho. I swear I have the worst luck.

Already PMing Bandwagon about it <3
did you soak the entire thing in water? maybe you tripped the outlet, try a different one.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
did you soak the entire thing in water? maybe you tripped the outlet, try a different one.

Didn't soak it, just set it overnight in the drainer I normally use to dry my dishes. Tried a different outlet that the coffee pot was working fine in, still no juice to the sous.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I worked prep at a couple restaurants when I was a teenager and made a ton of Cordon Bleu. I just adjusted a bit based on what I had in the fridge.