Gravy's Cooking Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Holy shit, Phyllo dough is a bitch to work with. Someone help me out here?

20180617_103629.jpg

20180617_104402.jpg

20180617_110318.jpg

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
make sure it's fully thawed, and keep it moist. Like have a spraybottle handy to spritz a mist as needed

I would say make sure it's reasonably fresh too. My limited experience was that while it CAN keep forever in the freezer, that's just more time to dry out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks guys. They were thawed overnight in the fridge, not quite room temperature when i started using then though. I did try the spray bottle on one, but it stuck to the press/form.

Definitely think you're right about the overstuffing, though.

I'll try the one sheet at a time thing this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
maybe also get a dumpling press phylo dough is so fragil you want to handle it as less as possible. at least i think you're making dumplings, who knows what those abominations were.

• 1Worf

Jait

Molten Core Raider
What tempts did they use? I don't sous vide my tenderloin that long, but a 2hr sous vide shouldn't be turning steak into anything like pudding.

I also sear before and after.

Sous Vide: Beef Tenderloin with Lemon-Parsley Butter Recipe

20100810-sous-vide-tenderloin.jpg

Whatever your taste is. Classical French Chefs are taught using escouffiers methods. Searing before and after completely ruins the surface area. It’s like the myth of using olive oil. Olive oil immediately turns more bitter when adding heat. It’s never ever supposed to go above 60 degrees. But very few notice. That’s why if you’re going to order caviar always have it opened at the table. Otherwise some cook is going to pocket hundreds of dollars by filling your opened tin with cheap eggs. I use that as an example because frankly 99% of us including me can’t tell the difference without extensive tasting.

Mods. Tuco is making me do steak derails.

But seriously whatever you like. Immersion circulation is stupid however. As for the temp it was likely 117. I didn’t run that station and I wasn’t a sous chef yet. All I know is that shit tasted like pudding with skin.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Steaks are meant to be grilled or seared in pan. Fuck you yuppies and your immersion 3 hour steaks.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Jait

Molten Core Raider
PS Don’t ever eat at a David Chang restaurant. He also thinks he invented cereal milk.

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Whatever your taste is. Classical French Chefs are taught using escouffiers methods. Searing before and after completely ruins the surface area.
How does searing before and after sous vide ruin surface area?

I do it before and after because if I only do it before, the texture comes out gross, and if I only do it after I can't get a good hard sear on a steak after the sous vide without starting to over-heat the meat just under the surface.

I don't cook tenderloin a lot though, I prefer rib-eye and usually do a pre-bake in my toaster oven to get the temp around 90F and then sear it.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
How does searing before and after sous vide ruin surface area?

I do it before and after because if I only do it before, the texture comes out gross, and if I only do it after I can't get a good hard sear on a steak after the sous vide without starting to over-heat the meat just under the surface.

I don't cook tenderloin a lot though, I prefer rib-eye and usually do a pre-bake in my toaster oven to get the temp around 90F and then sear it.

When you apply a sear the protein immediately tightens up and begins to char. Those burnt proteins then cook in the bag imparting their flavor while re-tenderizing the surface. When removed the surface is now slick with all the grease and broken tissue which is researed on top. It’s like throwing a steak on a black top. You don’t want to use multiple methods period but if you do, never twice with the same piece of protein. Like flipping burgers or pancakes more than once. But honestly it’s about what you like. Not what some dead French dude said. I use olive oil to cook with all the time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
You don’t want to use multiple methods period but if you do, never twice with the same piece of protein. Like flipping burgers or pancakes more than once.
To be clear, that "dont flip burgers more than once" thing has been conclusively disproved. Frequent repeated flipping won decisively.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Figured not all of you guys giving me keto advice also read the Health Problems thread, but figured you would like to hear -- keto seems to be working for my cancer. My CAT scan on Monday showed all my tumors are shrinking, and my serum tumor markers made a dramatic shift from 91 all the way down to 5. My doctor was blown away by it, says she can't explain it at all. She doesn't want to admit it's something as simple as a diet change. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, it really is helping!

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Figured not all of you guys giving me keto advice also read the Health Problems thread, but figured you would like to hear -- keto seems to be working for my cancer. My CAT scan on Monday showed all my tumors are shrinking, and my serum tumor markers made a dramatic shift from 91 all the way down to 5. My doctor was blown away by it, says she can't explain it at all. She doesn't want to admit it's something as simple as a diet change. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, it really is helping!
yea, fuck that cancer in the ass...

with a stick of butter

• 1Solidarity