Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Tonight's lazy keto meal:

962e5a6b-8f7c-4d63-b27e-e1c396abda17_3.61c730258ac84930fa19a46c1e4f7d7c.png
+
e1446f03-18ee-40a4-84bc-0681e21db92e_1.1da31daec910e473fac4e98a9c34158f.jpeg

This BBQ sauce is surprisingly good. Probably should have gone with ranch to up the fat calories, but oh well.

I also found some Mikey's brand low carb pizza crust (4g net carbs) that I had for lunch, but it's not very good... Better than no pizza at all I suppose, but there's gotta be a better crust solution.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Tonight's lazy keto meal:

View attachment 168629+View attachment 168630

This BBQ sauce is surprisingly good. Probably should have gone with ranch to up the fat calories, but oh well.

I also found some Mikey's brand low carb pizza crust (4g net carbs) that I had for lunch, but it's not very good... Better than no pizza at all I suppose, but there's gotta be a better crust solution.
just as an aside, bbq sauce is really some variation of ketchup (tomatoe paste/vinegar etc) and spice, since that is sugar free they're using sucralose, i don't know if that affects anything but some info.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
just as an aside, bbq sauce is really some variation of ketchup (tomatoe paste/vinegar etc) and spice, since that is sugar free they're using sucralose, i don't know if that affects anything but some info.

yeah i read labels pretty thoroughly, and they're using sucralose, which i'm fine with. as far as i can tell, it's the safest artificial sweetener.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
yeah i read labels pretty thoroughly, and they're using sucralose, which i'm fine with. as far as i can tell, it's the safest artificial sweetener.
i baked a gluten free vanilla cake a few weeks ago for someone, still have the weird ass gluten free flour (it's really just rice flour) and a pound of sucralose, it was the best cake she had in a year, only cuz we live in bum fuck no where, and ain't no vegan bitch bakeries around, lol.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
PHOTO_20180624_185021.jpg

Made some baozi dumplings for a Westworld party.

I would have rather made lasagna, but host asked if I could bring "something asian"

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Bought a GMG pellet smoker a few weeks ago. First big thing I did, turned out great. Very happy with the decision to switch from propane, this and the small things I’ve done so far have been fantastic. I was barely even grilling anymore with propane, it was like using an oven /lame.

3AC17A5F-6F5D-4558-BF47-A7F583188133.jpegC01DEE5D-72BD-423A-824D-5A27FA36C73C.jpeg

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I have got to try this heart attack on a plate.

you can get a spiralizer for the chips. I use it when ppl come over and i make "zoodles" which is just zuccini that looks like noodles, otherwise i find it impratical for home use, too many moving parts to clean.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I didn't get any pictures but I did a boston butt confit last weekend and I plan on doing it again this weekend.

I rendered 7 pounds of skinless pork fat into lard
Cubed boston butt into 3" cubes and lightly salted night before cook.
Submerged cubed pork in lard and cooked on medium heat for about 3 hours. My thermometer rad 200-220 for the whole cook.
Once it is fork tender I removed from lard onto a baking pan and shred the meat with forks then right into oven under broiler set on high to crisp the edges.

The result was super tender meat with fried edges and the only seasoning I used was salt, there was no left overs from a 8# shoulder

This is the recipe I used with the exception of using the oven to crisp at the end since my pot was not big enough to turn the heat up on the lard to fry.

Authentic Carnitas and Three Pounds of Lard | The Paupered Chef

I skipped the tortillas and topped with a keto friendly homemade salsa

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's the advantage of doing a piece of meat confit in its own fat? As opposed to I guess regular bbq preparation.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Confit is to deep fat frying what smoking is to grilling. Low and slow versus fast and furious.

So for your question I would say there is no advantage really.

I have done both and personally I would confit pulled pork over smoking every time because personally I liked the end result. Also I prefer smoked pulled pork with bbq sauce and since I am on keto I really cant eat it like that anymore so confit fits into my diet easier.

What The Heck is Confit? | Ask The Food Lab

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Cooked swordfish steaks on cedar planks on the grill tonight. Just salt and pepper, put some garlic cloves on the plank, and let it go for about 30 minutes. Was dang tasty!