Gravy's Cooking Thread

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Pictures for the above posts, The end product picture does not do it justice though

IMG_20180708_111717.jpg

IMG_20180708_112311.jpg

IMG_20180708_113238.jpg

IMG_20180708_113334.jpg

IMG_20180708_133722.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The local Cash & Carry (err.. ?Smart Foodservice Warehouse? When did *that* happen?) keeps having *presliced* beef clod heart. Now, nothing against clod heart, it's a proper old school cut of cheap flavorful beef. And nothing against thin preslices if you're marinating and making astada. But what *else* can you do with sliced clod heart?

Last time I just roasted it whole and the juices did end up *mostly* glueing it back into a single chunk'o'meat. And I can maybe see throwing slices on a flat iron/grill to then put in a cheesesteak-ish or french dip-ish sandwich, but the meat *will* be different that a proper version of each....

EDIT: a bit more research says Korean BBQ and possibly hotpot applications. I guess that gives me some ideas.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gonna try empanadas this week

looks like i need a lesson in sofrito, anyone got tips? i mean it just looks like chunky salsa to me.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anybody have a good philly cheesesteak method? Everyone in Montana seems to think that you just slice some round steak 1/4" thick, fry it in a pan, with some salt if you're lucky, and then put some half-sauteed green peppers and onions on it and a slice of provolone. It's tempting to order them but I'm always disappointed so I think I need to figure out how to make my own.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anybody have a good philly cheesesteak method? Everyone in Montana seems to think that you just slice some round steak 1/4" thick, fry it in a pan, with some salt if you're lucky, and then put some half-sauteed green peppers and onions on it and a slice of provolone. It's tempting to order them but I'm always disappointed so I think I need to figure out how to make my own.

pan fry rib eye steak

1.put steak in freezer for 30mins to solidify and slice thin.
2.carmalize onions/green pepper in pan, push to the side,
3.dump the steak and cook, dump cheese on the steak and done,
4.put on toasted bun.

cook all in one saute pan, to let the onion and pepper juice permeate into the steak meat.

either slice the meat(genos) or chop it up(pats)

you can cook 2 steaks at most on a 10in fry pan, don't do it buffet style and just have one batch of sautee'd onions and one batch of green pepper and a different batch of cooked steak, 1 pan per cheesesteak to incorporate it all.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Hehe, ive been trying to come up with a way to get thin shaved steak for years. Even asked local butchers to do it for me. The problem is most butchers dont have a deli slicer in the back, and they are not bothered to go to deli section and do it (probably because they have to clean and sanitize the deli slicer afterword).

So what I resort to now is buying some roast beef thin sliced from deli counter, about 2lbs the bloodier the better. Rip it up by hand and saute that shit up with onions and peppers breaking it up more as I go. When done I turn heat to low, cover it all with provolone or munster slices, then cover for a few min. Works for us and kids love the shit.

Everytime I see angus roast beef on sale for like $8.99 or so I buy up a few lbs.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It seems like the key is getting it sliced super thin and then chopping it up in the pan. Doing that to rib eye seems like sacrilege to me. I found a recipe making them with short ribs that seems promising. I'm spending all my time baling hay right now but in a couple weeks I need to start doing some cheese steak experiments.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Everytime I see angus roast beef on sale for like $8.99 or so I buy up a few lbs.

For a while the deli at Walmart had a deal where you could get half a pound of two types of meat and half a pound of cheese for $9. I think some places might have excluded beef from that but the store here never did so you could get a pound of roast beef or pastrami plus half a pound of cheese for less than the price of the pound of beef normally.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It seems like the key is getting it sliced super thin and then chopping it up in the pan. Doing that to rib eye seems like sacrilege to me. I found a recipe making them with short ribs that seems promising. I'm spending all my time baling hay right now but in a couple weeks I need to start doing some cheese steak experiments.

Yeah to tell you the truth, I would rather have a nice thick steak than a philly any day. I agree, waste of a good steak.

There used to be a sub place by my work in another city that used to have great steak subs. ( I dont live in Philly) They did all kinds of subs, but they were known for their steak subs. They would get boxes of these thin sliced frozen steak that were pressed into a 8x4 rectangle, about a 1/8 in thick. But I could never find the stuff in retail. It looked exactly like below but in a plain brown box.

Original Philly Products

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea its all about the low connective tissue and cooking fast, no different than korean bulgogi
Korean.food-Bulgogi-02.jpg

Fedor

<Banned>
"Hot Ones" Problematic for Women: Professor | National Review

A YouTube show that challenges contestants to eat increasingly spicy chicken wings has raised the ire of a Tulsa media-studies professor.

Well, Professor Emily J. H. Contois thinks it could. According to her paper, “The spicy spectacular: food, gender, and celebrity on Hot Ones,” published in the journal Feminist Media Studies, the show “creates, maintains, and manipulates inequitable gender hierarchies through the interrelated performances of gender, food consumption, and celebrity.”

• 1Picard
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users