Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Got a link for the orange chicken?

The panda express dude did a tasty video that caught my eye:

Original Orange Chicken By Panda Express Recipe by Tasty

DO NOT USE THEIR WATER AMOUNT. 4 cups dry to 1.5 cups water is fuckin' incorrect. I forget what I used but you should get like a pancake batter result. Also I do a double fry: a few minutes at 325 (til light brown), remove from oil. then increase oil to 375 and cook til nice and golden.

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Okay bros, I had a three day weekend and did ribs twice and a roast once in the Sous Vide. All came out pretty well, but now I want to try something different.

I've never done lamb chops before, any recommendations?

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
I haven't done lamb chops or rack of lamb, but my favorite way to cook lamb is as Souvlaki.

You need skewers and you start with a boneless leg of lamb, usually around 5 lbs. It is a bit of work to break the leg down into nice small cubes, an inch or 3/4, and discard the fat. Once you have it on the skewers, salt it with a half teaspoon per pound of meat and let it sit for a while, probably at least an hour would be great. Then in your food processor turn the following into a paste:
half a yellow onion
a bunch of parsley, fresh
a bunch of oregano, fresh
1-2 teaspoons of black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Once you're ready to cook, dump the paste on your skewered meat and manuver them around to coat the meat evenly. I usually grill them over high, direct heat, I suspect they could be broiled in the oven as well.

Serve with some lemon wedges on flatbread, tzatziki sauce, hummus, cherry tomatoes, maybe some good olives and strong red wine, perhaps zinfandel. I also like some sriracha sauce on mine.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I haven't done lamb chops or rack of lamb, but my favorite way to cook lamb is as Souvlaki.

You need skewers and you start with a boneless leg of lamb, usually around 5 lbs. It is a bit of work to break the leg down into nice small cubes, an inch or 3/4, and discard the fat. Once you have it on the skewers, salt it with a half teaspoon per pound of meat and let it sit for a while, probably at least an hour would be great. Then in your food processor turn the following into a paste:
half a yellow onion
a bunch of parsley, fresh
a bunch of oregano, fresh
1-2 teaspoons of black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Once you're ready to cook, dump the paste on your skewered meat and manuver them around to coat the meat evenly. I usually grill them over high, direct heat, I suspect they could be broiled in the oven as well.

Serve with some lemon wedges on flatbread, tzatziki sauce, hummus, cherry tomatoes, maybe some good olives and strong red wine, perhaps zinfandel. I also like some sriracha sauce on mine.

That sounds good.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
made team breakfast(just small team of 6), nuttin is open at 4, so made sausage egg muffins with bacon on the side and a few bagels with cream cheese, also some scones. "My wife said, why the hell did you make scones?" i said "idk, it's shit white ppl eat"

wow they ate em up... and still said "no jam"
white boy, i don't know your whitey customs!

one bitch is "gluten free", fuck that last time i made banging gluten free pancakes (some weird shit where i used soy and apple cider to curdle it to make a batter), she didn't touch em.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Buying a BBQ for my backyard finally and going to try my hand at some Brisket. Will tell you how it goes.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a great smoker, and I have a nice charcoal grill, but I'm looking to get a gas grill. Some nights I want to grill shit and I don't have time to wait for the charcoal to get ready. While I won't abandon the charcoal grill, I want the convenience of a gas grill available to me. As a bonus, while redoing my kitchen I had all my walls open, and that includes a wall that is an exterior on my deck. I ran a natural gas line out there, so I can get a grill and never have to worry about getting propane tanks.

So, my question to all of you is....what kind of gas grill? Do any of you ever use the burner that some have? Have you ever used a rotisserie unit on your grill? What else am I not thinking about?

Gas grill advice desired.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You really can't go wrong with Weber. They are totally bulletproof and guaranteed to last you 10+ years. Be warned though, you will most likely never use your charcoal grill again. I was dedicated to my Big Green Egg for many years but it hasn't been lit since I got the Weber. I kind of feel bad about it because I like the taste of charcoal a lot but it's just too convenient to go flip a knob vs. spending an hour getting your charcoal lit and the grill heated up.

I have never used my side burner. I know some people love them, but if I really have something that needs to be cooked in a pot while I'm grilling I find it easier to just do it on the stove in the kitchen. Never used a rotisserie but it seems like a gimmick to me. I'm not sure what the benefit is over just doing your chickens on the grill.

Also there is a grill thread around here somewhere....

Grills

A bit out of date I guess but there it is.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Thanks, man. All good advice. I do wonder about using the charcoal once I have the gas, but I guess we will see. Was thinking of Weber, but wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money.

SyKicK

Trakanon Raider
I'll give a vote to Broil King. I got the broil king sovereign xls 90 about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. Broil King seemed to be the best bang for your buck when I was shopping. The person at the bbq store said you won't do better on value then Broil King.

SyKicK

Trakanon Raider
It's surprising to me to see that the Broil King grills are more expensive than the Weber. More research is required.

Oh that is weird. That was not the case 8 years ago. You can't go wrong with Weber, so if they are cheaper I'd go for it.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The Weber "Spirit" line is pretty economical. My Mom has one and it seems pretty solid and I have cooked on it several times and have no complaints. It's a little bit smaller grill but she's had it a couple years now and her husband has one that's older than that and they both seem pretty good.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, that's what I'm looking at. The three burner one. I can't get one smaller, keep in mind there are seven of us, so doing enough burgers on a grill needs some surface area. If we have company, need even more. I'm looking at the 4 burner Genesis 2. It's more, but it has a really nice rack, and might be just what I want.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have a Genesis with the sear burner. I can't say anything bad about it. Turn on all 4 burners and that thing can put out a scary amount of heat.

With regard to racks, you might want to look at some GrillGrates.

Grill Grates

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Although I have a webber gas grill right now which was given to me by my pops, I used to swear by the cheap $130 grills before. Sure they might not last you the 20 yrs a webber can, but they will still last you 3-5 years if covered or stored in winter and you can even get a few more out of them if you just replace the damn burner for a few bucks. Then jsut thow it away and buy a new one. Still beats the price of a webber in the 20 yrs. Plus the thing I found with webbers is the parts are a fucking sham. I replaced some shit in my pops old grille and it cost me like $150.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Although I have a webber gas grill right now which was given to me by my pops, I used to swear by the cheap $130 grills before. Sure they might not last you the 20 yrs a webber can, but they will still last you 3-5 years if covered or stored in winter and you can even get a few more out of them if you just replace the damn burner for a few bucks. Then jsut thow it away and buy a new one. Still beats the price of a webber in the 20 yrs. Plus the thing I found with webbers is the parts are a fucking sham. I replaced some shit in my pops old grille and it cost me like $150.

Do you only cook 2 hamburgers at a time or something? I've cooked on the super cheap gas grills and they are a nightmare to cook a bunch of steaks on. Literally like 250 degrees variance on the temperature on different parts of the grill. I felt like I should be named champion of something or other after getting 8 steaks cooked decently because I had to be constantly cycling them through the hot and cold parts of the grill to keep it from turning some into charcoal while not cooking others at all. I'm not saying you have to get a Weber, but fuck cooking on the Walmart special.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Started two batches of summer cider and a summer fruit wine last night. Should be good. Even though I'll have like 8 gallons of the stuff.

Made a Greek Egg Feta, Spinach Casserole for some work lunches this week which turned out amazingly well and both super cheap and easy to do.

• 1Like