Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If you want to be technical what you need to do is measure the gravity of the cider before and after it's done fermenting. You can tell it's done fermenting when the bubbliness subsides, as this is the yeast turning the cider to alcohol. For these it takes two to three weeks. If you want to make it stronger you need to put more sugars into the cider for the yeast to consume. Thus increasing the alcohol % within it. Broadly, the more sugar you put in, the more alcohol there is the less other flavors there are. It's cheap to do so play around with it. See what you can cook up!
So you're just using the natural sugar in the cider and not adding additional?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
When me and Soygen both stop posting, be sure to google us. If we died of alcohol poisoning, everyone please neg TJT, thanks.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is a point at which there is too much alcohol for certain yeasts though and it just dies. So its not like you can just keep adding sugar to it and it will all turn into alcohol. Now there is more hardy yeast strains they use in making wine that will get up to higher percentages like 12%+ but yeah...

In beer they add shit like rice to the mash for more alcohol because it does not impart any harsh off flavors to it like pure cane sugar can. thats something to think about too. this is how they get american pilsners to have a very light malt flavor, just add rice. this is also why germans have strict laws against adding adjuncts to beer like rice. they dont do it by law.

So in order to make liquor like percentages is where the distilling process comes in. They take something like 8-12% alcohol mash, distill it down to draw out the alcohol.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When me and Soygen both stop posting, be sure to google us. If we died of alcohol poisoning, everyone please neg TJT, thanks.
neg???
giphy.gif

Siliconemelons

first time eating and cooking lamb chops - did herb crusted - sear, mustard, herb, bake.

was insanely good.

was at easter with fam, left an entire rack there- parents reheated it and said it was even better now that the herbs and stuff infused the meat even more, still kept it pink even after reheat...nice

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
There is a point at which there is too much alcohol for certain yeasts though and it just dies. So its not like you can just keep adding sugar to it and it will all turn into alcohol. Now there is more hardy yeast strains they use in making wine that will get up to higher percentages like 12%+ but yeah...

In beer they add shit like rice to the mash for more alcohol because it does not impart any harsh off flavors to it like pure cane sugar can. thats something to think about too. this is how they get american pilsners to have a very light malt flavor, just add rice. this is also why germans have strict laws against adding adjuncts to beer like rice. they dont do it by law.

So in order to make liquor like percentages is where the distilling process comes in. They take something like 8-12% alcohol mash, distill it down to draw out the alcohol.
Saki is also brewed, and the yeast goes pretty high, into the low 20s.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Bros, the bbq shopping has made me consider making an outdoor kitchen. There's a spot in my yard just off the deck where I am going to make a paved seating area, and I'm now considering building a kitchen out there that would include an oven, a gas grill, and a sink as well as a generous countertop. This, of course, changes the timeline and cost. Rather than spending about $500 on a bbq, I'm now looking to spend about $6,000 for everthing, and that's if I do it myself (that includes the seating area and kitchen).

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? We do a LOT of entertaining, and we spend a lot of time outside in the summer, do you guys think you would use an outdoor kitchen if you had it? My wife thinks I wouldn't use it because to cook out there you'd have to take everything out, like spices, cutting boards/knives, blah blah blah, every time you used it.

Thots?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It does sort of seem like you would have to drag a lot of shit outdoors just so you can say you cooked it outdoors. It does kind of suck being stuck indoors when there's a party in the backyard, but that seems like a lot to me.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It does sort of seem like you would have to drag a lot of shit outdoors just so you can say you cooked it outdoors. It does kind of suck being stuck indoors when there's a party in the backyard, but that seems like a lot to me.

Right? That's where my thinking is, too. I am very tempted to make something that includes an outdoor oven because I hate turning the oven on in the summer when the air conditioning is running.

More thinking required.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Right? That's where my thinking is, too. I am very tempted to make something that includes an outdoor oven because I hate turning the oven on in the summer when the air conditioning is running.

More thinking required.

That's why i asked about wood pellet grills. You can turn those to 450 and they start at 450, or whatever other temp you want them at and you can use them like an oven. I've been wanting one for awhile.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here have a wood pellet grill?

I have a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone for about 6 months now and love it. I've done tons of meats from slow and lowe to 500 degree sears, made my own bacon with pork belly and have started baking breads in it after making some Chicago style pizzas on it. I live in a cold area so got the thermal blanket and WiFi for it so I don't have to go out in the snow any more than I have to. I picked it up after some other folks in this thread recommended it and have no regrets. One word of caution is it is a bitch to get home and unload solo. Easier than an egg grill but not by much.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Goddammit. Now i have to get back to making mead. I had just started it a year and a half ago but got derailed by moving.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
That's why i asked about wood pellet grills. You can turn those to 450 and they start at 450, or whatever other temp you want them at and you can use them like an oven. I've been wanting one for awhile.

They work really well for baking and the smoke gives baked goods a nice unique flavor. Grill is easy to clean and get up to temp (150-500 on my model) but your baking tins/sheets will sort of be soot stained if that is important.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
They work really well for baking and the smoke gives baked goods a nice unique flavor. Grill is easy to clean and get up to temp (150-500 on my model) but your baking tins/sheets will sort of be soot stained if that is important.

Yeah, that's why I'm considering an actual gas oven for out doors. It would be nice.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wife surprised me with a crock pot peppers and sausages.

Worst thing I've had in awhile. Sausages were ultra soft with no snap and cooked medium. I want to shoot the person that made that recipe.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Goddammit. Now i have to get back to making mead. I had just started it a year and a half ago but got derailed by moving.

Mead is some strange shit. Reading up on some of the lore supposedly it gets you kinda high when drunk. Never made it myself though.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Mead is some strange shit. Reading up on some of the lore supposedly it gets you kinda high when drunk. Never made it myself though.

I don't see how it would get you high unless you put something in there to accomplish that. A traditional mead is just water, honey and yeast. You can add lots of different shit to that base though. I finally bottled my last batch of cyser (replace water with cider) a few weeks ago after aging it for roughly 14 months and it turned out pretty decent.

I have a 7 gallon fermentation vessel that bought just before things got derailed by the move. I really need to get back at it.