Gravy's Cooking Thread

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Started two batches of summer cider and a summer fruit wine last night. Should be good. Even though I'll have like 8 gallons of the stuff.

Made a Greek Egg Feta, Spinach Casserole for some work lunches this week which turned out amazingly well and both super cheap and easy to do.

Tell me more. I'm trying to mix up the work lunches and I love feta and spinach.

All I've done recently is learn how to cook dry beans in the instant pot, which makes an already cheap staple food cheaper and way more tasty.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Tell me more. I'm trying to mix up the work lunches and I love feta and spinach.

All I've done recently is learn how to cook dry beans in the instant pot, which makes an already cheap staple food cheaper and way more tasty.

Sauteed 1lb of spinach and put it in a casserole dish. Mix in 12-14 eggs seasoned with salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Add in 6 oz feta. I put a thin layer of parmesan/Moz on top for the nice bake effect as feta won't do that. Cook at 350 for 40 mins.

I also made gochujang chicken. If you don't keep gochujang in the house you're missing out. Take a few lbs of chicken breast slice em up. Place on baking tray. Mix a few tbsp of soy sauce, gochujang, honey, sesame oil and spread this across the chicken with a bbq brush. Cook at 400 for 25 to 30. Bake veggie along with it.

MVIMG_20190428_110449.jpg

IMG_20190428_153429.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Sauteed 1lb of spinach and put it in a casserole dish. Mix in 12-14 eggs seasoned with salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Add in 6 oz feta. I put a thin layer of parmesan/Moz on top for the nice bake effect as feta won't do that. Cook at 350 for 40 mins.

I also made gochujang chicken. If you don't keep gochujang in the house your missing out. Take a few lbs of chicken breast slice em up. Place on baking tray. Mix a few tbsp of soy sauce, gochujang, honey, sesame oil and spread this across the chicken with a bbq brush. Cook at 400 for 25 to 30. Bake veggie along with it.

View attachment 205389

View attachment 205390

Looks good. Have you tried the casserole with any additional vegetables or mushrooms?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Looks good. Have you tried the casserole with any additional vegetables or mushrooms?

Yeah a few mushrooms and green onions are okay but you can overdo it. A pound of spinach is good enough in my testing. Sauteed or steam mushroom is better just on the side.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Link to any info on this or just something you always do?

Summer fruit wine is my woman's request. Never done it before but it's currently fermenting in the second bathroom as it requires a lower temperature (68-72) for some reason. Wine had some kind of concentrated starter (mix starter with 4 gallons of pure water) I put into a 5 gallon glass wide mouth carboy with a pack of wine yeast. It will take 6-8 weeks to drink.

The cider however is absurdly easy. Buy some pure apple juice or cider. Preferably in the gallon containers. You need real deal here as you're looking for a specific sugar content. Then just get some cider yeast for $0.99 and some stoppers and airlocks and put them on the top. Wait a few weeks and you have a nice dry summer cider that is excellent when chilled. Minus the juice the investment in equipment is under $10.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IMG_20190427_120710.jpg

Sorry this shit was on my phone so its easier this way.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Look dude. I don't even drink wine 9 times out of 10 lol. I sure as shit don't drink sangria. This is some blackberry starter from Oregon.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
How strong does this come out?

I am too lazy to test the gravity which would indicate its alcohol content. But generally it is 5-6%. There are some brewer tricks to get it up to like 8% if you really wanted. But it would also make it much more dry.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
shit that reminds me I need to dust off my old beer brewing equipment. Its been since the 90s that I have brewed anything. NOw that the kids are older and I have time now... Hmmm.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I gave up brewing beer. I don't drink enough and its a pretty time intensive, all day process. Cider however is the bees knees because it takes seconds of prep. This fruit wine too.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I used to like to watch the fermentation process. I have all the equiment still, corny kegs, Co2 setup so I dont have to bottle. I even have a lagering fridge with a temp controller to keep that shit just above freezing for a month or two. The only thing I really didnt have was a filtration system.

The only thing that really sucked about it was the sanitation part.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just looked it up, and didn't realize it's the sauce in bibimbap. That stuff is delicious. I'll try that tomorrow, I have a lot of vegetables to use up.

It can be had at Walmart these days. Super inexpensive and versatile. I recommend always having it on hand. I make a lot of sauces with it.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was just wondering if there was a specific fermentation time or if there's a range and how the +/- affects the finished product.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you want to be technical what you need to do is measure the gravity of the cider before and after it's done fermenting. You can tell it's done fermenting when the bubbliness subsides, as this is the yeast turning the cider to alcohol. For these it takes two to three weeks. If you want to make it stronger you need to put more sugars into the cider for the yeast to consume. Thus increasing the alcohol % within it. Broadly, the more sugar you put in, the more alcohol there is the less other flavors there are. It's cheap to do so play around with it. See what you can cook up!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user