Gravy's Cooking Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh its jusut some lore I read about it. Its like one of, if not the oldest alcohol drink that man ever made. But nevertheless ther is probably something to it depending on the flowers the bees were feasting on. Honey is some strange shit, bro.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Nahh its jusut some lore I read about it. Its like one of, if not the oldest alcohol drink that man ever made. But nevertheless ther is probably something to it depending on the flowers the bees were feasting on. Honey is some strange shit, bro.

There is definitely a huge difference depending on the honey you use. I have some local buckwheat honey I plan on making a small batch with at some point.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Bros, the bbq shopping has made me consider making an outdoor kitchen. There's a spot in my yard just off the deck where I am going to make a paved seating area, and I'm now considering building a kitchen out there that would include an oven, a gas grill, and a sink as well as a generous countertop. This, of course, changes the timeline and cost. Rather than spending about $500 on a bbq, I'm now looking to spend about $6,000 for everthing, and that's if I do it myself (that includes the seating area and kitchen).

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? We do a LOT of entertaining, and we spend a lot of time outside in the summer, do you guys think you would use an outdoor kitchen if you had it? My wife thinks I wouldn't use it because to cook out there you'd have to take everything out, like spices, cutting boards/knives, blah blah blah, every time you used it.

Thots?
so you basically want this
Outdoor-Kitchen-Palm-Beach-Kamado-Grill-Twin-Eagles-Bar.jpg

• 1Mother of God

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea my wife has some bland as shit australian honey cuz someone said it might be good for her allergies.

tastes like dog shit, gimme that honey w/ the pure plastic bear anyday. i can't even use it in cooking cuz it really fucks up the flavors.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Wife surprised me with a crock pot peppers and sausages.

Worst thing I've had in awhile. Sausages were ultra soft with no snap and cooked medium. I want to shoot the person that made that recipe.

Steam sausages. They always have the perfect snap this way.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Those setups always look cool to have but unless you live in SoCal or someplace nice like that you are going to be restricted in how much you can even use it. If it can only be used 1/3 or 1/4 of the year due to weather just seems like a huge waste. Even here in Austin it would only be good for like 5 months at a time. Nevermind me though the thought of entertaining people makes me physically ill. I do find cooking itself to be extremely therapeutic though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Steam sausages. They always have the perfect snap this way.
Absolutely. I like just grilling them but you gotta babysit so you don't burn them.

I told my wife later it was awful. Of course she took major offense even though it wasn't her recipe

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Bros, the bbq shopping has made me consider making an outdoor kitchen. There's a spot in my yard just off the deck where I am going to make a paved seating area, and I'm now considering building a kitchen out there that would include an oven, a gas grill, and a sink as well as a generous countertop. This, of course, changes the timeline and cost. Rather than spending about $500 on a bbq, I'm now looking to spend about $6,000 for everthing, and that's if I do it myself (that includes the seating area and kitchen).

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? We do a LOT of entertaining, and we spend a lot of time outside in the summer, do you guys think you would use an outdoor kitchen if you had it? My wife thinks I wouldn't use it because to cook out there you'd have to take everything out, like spices, cutting boards/knives, blah blah blah, every time you used it.

Thots?
Since it's not my money, it's definitely worth it. You can use it year-round in south Florida. I don't know about the winter wasteland you likely live in.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
so you basically want this
Outdoor-Kitchen-Palm-Beach-Kamado-Grill-Twin-Eagles-Bar.jpg

lurkingdirk lurkingdirk As far as being limited on being bale to use this up where we live, just put a roof over it and you'll be fine. I've seen these setups tons of times and up here they usually just put a roof over that and the seating area. We are used to cooler weather so if it's 50 outside you'll still use it and honestly if you put a TV out there, you'll find outself out there more than inside most days till it hits 40 degrees anyway.

And if you can afford to spend 6k to 10k on this setup...I'd assume you can spend an extra $100 on spices and cutingboards that would stay out there...but I guess I don't know your budget. :p

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
While I've never had steamed sausages, I don't see how that's superior to grilled or broiled.

My wife does almost the same thing, Noodleface Noodleface . Come home to a casserole dish of baked sausages and mushy peppers and onions. The sausages aren't really her fault, you can't broil them without burning a lot of the fat. But I threw out the vegetables. They might have been ok if they didn't have the same texture as the sausages. Might be a summer-only dish at this point.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I like a bit of char on the sausage casing, so grilling/broiling is my preferred.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'll admit I like burning them. I want a literal crust on them. Gianelli(don't know how local that brand is) make an italian sausage that lower in fat. You can't really put a crust on a typical sausage because there's too much fat.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While I too liked broiled sausages just try steaming them. You won't regret it.

I'm a huge fan of steaming though. Which really isn't a component of American cooking. Need to look to our eastern friends for the versatility of steaming food.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Steaming also cooks them way faster than grilling/pan frying. I've never even thought of broiling sausages, maybe I'll try that some day

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I worked in A&W when I was a teen, the drive through kind, the place had been there since like 50s or 60s. Anyway we had this huge ass old steam table with slideaway doors. we steamed buns in one side and dogs in the other, it also had space to insert pans with coney sauce to heat up and keep warm.

You definitely had to get used to sticking your hand in that fucker. I guess you built up an immunity over time, or grew extra skin. But yeah, sticking your hand into a fucking steam compartment 100 times a day was a bitch. Especially on tues when it was coney day.