Gravy's Cooking Thread

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Crawfish are not worth the effort. Shrimp all the way.

Crawfish and shrimp take the same amount of effort. Rip the head, pinch the tail, pull. You get good at that shit when you go visit relatives in LA and the food is free for all. You only eat one or two meals of 3 shrimp before you learn.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
had crawfish once where they just roll out newspaper and dump em in front of you.

felt like a seafood murderer
042abe3dab4127248c5e5379e3471ef2.gif

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
I bet you had some really good dirty rice. That stuff is awesome and the recipes are varied.

This is my guess too. Boil and gumbo you can DIY a lot of ways, and some gumbo you can get on rice. IMO at that point it's just really fancy dirty rice. Like the way poutine is to fries.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Crawfish and shrimp take the same amount of effort. Rip the head, pinch the tail, pull. You get good at that shit when you go visit relatives in LA and the food is free for all. You only eat one or two meals of 3 shrimp before you learn.

Exactly. Same amount of effort. Except one actually gives you an amount of food worth eating and the other gives you an amount of meat the size of the fingernail on my pinky finger. Fuck crawfish. There's a reason it's poor people food. I never want to exert that much effort for such a small reward.

LiquidDeath

Exactly. Same amount of effort. Except one actually gives you an amount of food worth eating and the other gives you an amount of meat the size of the fingernail on my pinky finger. Fuck crawfish. There's a reason it's poor people food. I never want to exert that much effort for such a small reward.

You must be eating shit crawfish.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I bet you had some really good dirty rice. That stuff is awesome and the recipes are varied.

Well, I know that it was two humongous large pots. One was the white rice and the other was all the other stuff, I just remember being weirded out that it had chicken wings in it but it all went really well together.

LiquidDeath

Well, I know that it was two humongous large pots. One was the white rice and the other was all the other stuff, I just remember being weirded out that it had chicken wings in it but it all went really well together.

Best guess is chicken and crab gumbo.

If you want to make it, follow Alton Brown's method. I have authentic Cajun gumbo recipes that aren't even as good. Just make sure to get head-on shrimp and use them to make your stock.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You must be eating shit crawfish.

Maybe. It was this place in New Orleans. Our Uber driver called it "dat real real shit". I would say based on the demographics at this place it was indeed dat real real shit. The shrimp was so much better. Crawfish are way too much fucking work for such a small amount of meat. And practically everyone I've talked to agrees. It's just hella cheap. Because it's poor people food.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Best guess is chicken and crab gumbo.

If you want to make it, follow Alton Brown's method. I have authentic Cajun gumbo recipes that aren't even as good. Just make sure to get head-on shrimp and use them to make your stock.

that file powder looks hard to find, it's only 4bucks on amazon? guess i'll just have a bottle for, whatever
Zatarain's Pure Ground Gumbo File 1.25 oz

• 1Like

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Maybe. It was this place in New Orleans. Our Uber driver called it "dat real real shit". I would say based on the demographics at this place it was indeed dat real real shit. The shrimp was so much better. Crawfish are way too much fucking work for such a small amount of meat. And practically everyone I've talked to agrees. It's just hella cheap. Because it's poor people food.

They are kind of fun to spend a day catching and eating with your friends if you live in a place that has them. Other than that.. yeah I'd prefer to be eating shrimp.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So my dad retired this week, I decided I'd make everyone nice steaks. Some of my family like theirs well done but whatever not the time to complain. So I buy $45 worth of steak, marinade them for about 24 hours and bring them to my dad's.

I'm corralling my kid when in horror I see my dad take the steaks out and put them on the grill. But not the grill, he has baking sheets in there. He's cooking my steaks on baking pans in his grill. They start bending from the heat, so now the pans aren't touching the metal even. He cooks them for 30 minutes and they came out ok, but what?

Is this some retard cooking technique I've never heard of? Also who in the motherfuck takes another man's meat and cooks it without informing him.
Was your dad ... having a stroke?

• 1Worf

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Hey Veggiebois, I made some amazing Brussels Sprouts this week.

Brussels Sprouts, tossed in evo, salt, cumin, chipotle seasoning, and chili powder. (Try some fish sauce and/or worcestershire sauce next time). Oven roasted
Grilled corn, removed from cob
Grilled Jalapenos, chopped
Grilled lime halves
Full fat sour cream, seasoned with lime juice, chipotle seasoning, and chili powder
Toasted pumpkin seeds
Pickled onions
Cilantro chimichurri (fresh cilantro, garlic, pepper, lime juice, olive oil, red pepper flakes)
Chopped chives
Hot sauce as needed. I used Tapatio
Needs some cotija cheese next time

• 1Quality Calories

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
jfc thats 10 steps too much for any fucking veg.

beyond peeling and chopping should be either putting it in with food to fry or steaming.