Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I am loving it. I just got a grill for the new house this week I’m hoping that stepping my food game up will help me lose weight, or it will just be replaced by all the beer I drink while grilling oh well
you got a new grill, i got a new wok

note the wok that came w/ the induction wok is shit, got a nice basic wok, i mistakenly got it undersized at 12in but it seems to work fine.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Doing my first indirect smoke on the ceramic egg knock off with some St. Louis ribs. Got it steady around 220-225 with some chunks of pecan and mesquite mixed in with the charcoal (about 3 to 1 ratio of pecan to mesquite). Trying to minimize carbs right now so didn't make a rub like I normally do but giving them a try the way my dad likes them. Marinated the ribs in white vinegar overnight than rubbed them down with some garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Going to sprits them every hour or so with vinegar and toss some garlic bulbs on to roast for the kids to squeeze into their mashed potatoes. Probably will do the kid's corn on the cob on it after the ribs and heat shield come off just to minimize the stove usage in the house.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
So my dad retired this week, I decided I'd make everyone nice steaks. Some of my family like theirs well done but whatever not the time to complain. So I buy $45 worth of steak, marinade them for about 24 hours and bring them to my dad's.

I'm corralling my kid when in horror I see my dad take the steaks out and put them on the grill. But not the grill, he has baking sheets in there. He's cooking my steaks on baking pans in his grill. They start bending from the heat, so now the pans aren't touching the metal even. He cooks them for 30 minutes and they came out ok, but what?

Is this some retard cooking technique I've never heard of? Also who in the motherfuck takes another man's meat and cooks it without informing him.

Saw this on Reddit and remembered this post. Not exactly baking sheets but dear god why.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm pretty sure my dad was doing it to keep his grill clean
30b13e716dc5a843e8300a3b713754de--couch-covers-furniture-covers.jpg

he is from that era

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
So help me, no matter what I do to try and stop him, my little brother does that shit (foil on a grill). I am 99% sure he does it to avoid dealing with some germ phobia of his wife. It is amazing how that technique ruins every cut of meat I've ever seen it used on.

I just volunteer/insist on doing the grilling at family gatherings now.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, the resilient germs that survive direct flame. Removing the searing heat of the metal and the direct flame itself removes the entire point of the the grill. It's your duty as the older brother to completely shame him for this transgression. Simply taking over the grilling won't suffice!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah like my brother in law which fucking boils all his meat in 1-2" of water. Its liek WTF are you doing bro? Want me to show you how its done? Meh, but I dont even bother.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah like my brother in law which fucking boils all his meat in 1-2" of water. Its liek WTF are you doing bro? Want me to show you how its done? Meh, but I dont even bother.
Boils?!

Image result for crying kid gif

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You just reminded me

My dad always makes his "world famous wings"

He boils them, then quickly sears them on the grill (IN A PAN). They are not world famous..

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There are people that say that having flame touch the meat or even cooking on high heat can create carcinogens.

Chemicals in Meat Cooked at High Temperatures and Cancer Risk

Are there ways to reduce HCA and PAH formation in cooked meats?

Even though no specific guidelines for HCA/PAH consumption exist, concerned individuals can reduce their exposure by using several cooking methods:
  • Avoiding direct exposure of meat to an open flame or a hot metal surface and avoiding prolonged cooking times (especially at high temperatures) can help reduce HCA and PAH formation (29).
  • Using a microwave oven to cook meat prior to exposure to high temperatures can also substantially reduce HCA formation by reducing the time that meat must be in contact with high heat to finish cooking (29).
  • Continuously turning meat over on a high heat source can substantially reduce HCA formation compared with just leaving the meat on the heat source without flipping it often (29).
  • Removing charred portions of meat and refraining from using gravy made from meat drippings can also reduce HCA and PAH exposure (29).

Some things are worse than cancer.

• 2Solidarity

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
There are people that say that having flame touch the meat or even cooking on high heat can create carcinogens.

Chemicals in Meat Cooked at High Temperatures and Cancer Risk

Some things are worse than cancer.

I challenge anyone to find a study where they compared people who only eat meat that is charred vs. people who eat meat cooked the same way without the char.

Oh yeah, that doesn't exist, it is a bunch of cohort studies that are a bunch of bullshit or a direct test of the char itself which still doesn't have any impact on whether ingesting the char actually causes real damage.

These are people masquerading as scientists, but not doing any actual fucking science. It really pisses me off.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Oh man, how could I have guessed:

seemingly scientific article said:
Numerous epidemiologic studies have used detailed questionnaires to examine participants’ meat consumption and cooking methods (18). Researchers found that high consumption of well-done, fried, or barbecued meats was associated with increased risks of colorectal (1921), pancreatic (2123), and prostate (24, 25) cancer. However, other studies have found no association with risks of colorectal (26) or prostate (27) cancer.

In 2015, an independent panel of experts convened by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) determined consumption of red meat to be “probably carcinogenic to humans” (Group 2A), based largely on data from the epidemiologic studies and on the strong evidence from mechanistic studies. However, IARC did not conclude that HCAs and PAHs were associated with cancer incidence.

Epidemiologic studies for nutrition are fucking bullshit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's hard to do science on people. That's why the answer to "Is XXX carcinogenic?" is almost always "maybe". There are some lawyers getting rich by convincing California juries that glyphosate causes cancer right now but I think those are all probably getting reversed at some point.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im sure if you constantly eat the burnt shit on overcooked meats its probably not all that good for you. If not cancer it will probably give you the shits.