Gravy's Cooking Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Cheddar melts fine, just stop being bad. I use cheddar all the time for melty shit.

I have literally never pickled anything until tonight. We will see tomorrow after these fuckers chill how they taste.

View attachment 220254

Never pickled myself but my mom used to do it all the time, all she used to do is jusut put pickles in a brine plus seasoning like garlic and dill etc.(kosher dills like the jews used to make them back in poland). kind of like making sour kraut except with herbs. Then it took like a few weeks to actually pickle. You actually heat the shit, isnt that quick pickling?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
One thing I did discover tonight, when pickling garlic it can sometimes turn green and/or blue. This has something to do with trace metals in the water (didn't use distilled water) interacting with the aminos in garlic in presence of the vinegar. Weird as shit.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Never pickled myself but my mom used to do it all the time, all she used to do is jusut put pickles in a brine plus seasoning like garlic and dill etc.(kosher dills like the jews used to make them back in poland). kind of like making sour kraut except with herbs. Then it took like a few weeks to actually pickle. You actually heat the shit, isnt that quick pickling?
I think so, I don't really know. I did them sous vide at 140, according to the youtube shit I saw it keeps them crisp.I didn't want to deal with the burping etc so I just did them this way.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Actually, was watching old episodes of Binging with Babish and he did an Adventure Time episode where he made pickles, and I love pickles and so does my daughter and she loves to help cook, so I just went for it.

I'll try the eggs if this works out, I've never eaten a pickled egg. I might do some kimchi, i fucking love some kimchi, looking for more stuff to pickle though.

Try pickling pears. They are fantastic. A friend of mine did it a few years ago and I couldn't eat enough of them. Really nice balance with the right pears, and I'm sure the google can help you find the right pears.

Also once had pickled cherries with a pork dish. They, too were outstanding.

I think the sky is the limit with pickling. And if you find a good kimchi recipe that works for you, please please please post it here, because I'd like to make that, too.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
we've got an overabundance of zucchini and have been pickling the shit out of it, very good and surprisingly comparable to a cucumber

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
we've got an overabundance of zucchini and have been pickling the shit out of it, very good and surprisingly comparable to a cucumber

I know it sounds odd, but you can make really good jam from zucchini. I've made it the last few years.

• 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The wife doesn’t eat beets but she does eat asparagus.
Is that a
vomit1.png
or
mccheese.png
?

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
And if you find a good kimchi recipe that works for you, please please please post it here, because I'd like to make that, too.

Not exactly a recipe, and I haven't tried it but I've been watching this YouTube channel lately and I find it pretty entertaining.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So all I need to do is open my own factory to make dumplings?

Also LOL at the disappearing fly (17 gifs in that gallery)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My girlfriend brought me some pickles from her hippy coop thing that she gets food from. They're fucking fantastic. I don't care about the organicness or the probiotics or whatever, but they taste great.

aeb0438b-f943-4c5b-8e10-e74518c50da0

I posted these a while back. My local hoity toity grocery spot has these and they're awesome. Expensive but delicious.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think the sky is the limit with pickling. And if you find a good kimchi recipe that works for you, please please please post it here, because I'd like to make that, too.
I made this dudes recipe couple weeks ago. Really good results.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Also, made Nashville hot chicken this past weekend that turned out amazing.

1566869682686.png

I used my buddy's outdoor fryer instead of the dutch oven and it was so much better. My house didn't turn into a sauna, didn't stink the place up, and no splatter to clean up.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users